General Question Acana vacuum sealed?

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
For those of you who feed champion foods: do Acana and Orijen foods come always vacuum sealed/hermetically sealed or only sometimes? Last week I ordered from a new retailer and is the first time in a year that the food didn't come vacuum packed, so air just goes in and out. I thought it was odd so I contacted the company, and a very unfriendly woman told me that it was a coincidence I had always received vacuum sealed packs, because in the factory is just done sometimes and sometimes not. I didn't like her answer at all... I'm considering sending the 13kg back, but his actual bag is almost over so just wanted to make sure I'm not overreacting.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I buy Fromm at a local specialty store... some are vacuum sealed some are not for all the brands in the store, so it must be something they all do. may be call back and you will get a more friendly person to answer your questions

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
The fromm puppy I bought in the past always comes sealed but the black bag fromm I got didn't. I would say if you are worried about it don't give it to your bully and send it back!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I buy Fromm at a local specialty store... some are vacuum sealed some are not for all the brands in the store, so it must be something they all do. may be call back and you will get a more friendly person to answer your questions

Same here, sometimes they are, sometimes they are not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
If you think about the Vacuum seal itself, they probably are all done at the factory (to some extent) but it only takes a little pin prick to let the air in and become 'unsealed' and the bags are mostly paper. I think (only guessing here) that dog food has longer 'shelf life' than say Human food that is vacuum sealed in the grocery store.

I also agree, if it concerns you, then return it, if it has a different smell or odor, return it, or is discolored, then return it.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
If you think about the Vacuum seal itself, they probably are all done at the factory (to some extent) but it only takes a little pin prick to let the air in and become 'unsealed' and the bags are mostly paper. I think (only guessing here) that dog food has longer 'shelf life' than say Human food that is vacuum sealed in the grocery store.

I also agree, if it concerns you, then return it, if it has a different smell or odor, return it, or is discolored, then return it.

I agree.... doesnt take but a pin prick to loose the seal.

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] I used to work at a petstore and we sold a lot of Orijen and acana, every shipment we got in was all vacuum sealed. I don't know if they only do it when they ship to certain places, or what their sealing techniques are. If it worries you, send it back. :)

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
every Orijen bag I have gotten was sealed. In fact it is a pain to cut open it is so tight.

I would keep the bag and if you feel it smells different or causes changes with Ulysses, then return it.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i have gotten acana that is sealed and i have gotten it not sealed but if it concerns you return it.

OP
Maife

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
So I called again and talked to another person at the pet-shop I ordered it from, and she assured me it was fine and that some bags come sealed and some have air inside. It sounded strange but here's Acana's official response to my email:

Our ORIJEN and ACANA packaging is designed to preserve the freshness of each bag of food we make. To do this, we use specially designed packaging and an air evacuation process.

Our foil lined bags are impermeable to oxygen transfer from the outside to the inside and vice versa. Once the bags are sealed, oxygen transfer is impossible. Residual oxygen left in the bag when it is sealed depends on the amount of air withdrawn by our air evacuation system (not to be confused with vacuum packing).

Air pressure and temperature also contribute to the varied appearance in our packaging; making some bags appear very tight, and others looser. This is a natural variation and does not affect the freshness of the food in the bags.

While the appearance of our bags may vary, our bags and Air Evacuation process ensure that each bag of naturally preserved ORIJEN and ACANA reaches your pet with maximum freshness and flavour.

I hope that I have been helpful and please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

So it appears to be normal. I gotta say I was impressed by how fast they answered me, I think I like Acana even a little more now. So I'm happy to have solved the mystery, and not have had to send those 13kg of food back :) :) .

Not sure I could disclose this message, don't see the damage, but to avoid any problem I'll just leave the important info, which I just found out is published in their FAQ.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.