General Question Fromm dog food questio

bcarro45

Jan 15, 2013
Pasadena,Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Beaux
Fromm dog food question

I posted a question about food and got great responds, thanks again, now another one about the responds. Thinking about switching to Fromm but noticed they have different kinds, some say the Grain free salmon, some say the beef fritta, but I also noticed they have puppy Gold, etc. What is the best for a 14 week old? Thanks again

Last edited:

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
My pup is only 13 weeks but I switched him to Fromm large breed puppy as soon as I got him at 8 weeks ( well, I did the switch over 10 days) anyway, I was never thrilled with his poop- it was always " soft serve" despite adding pumpkin and a couple of other suggestions. I had decided to put him on the Fromms allstage beef frittata at around 10 1/2 weeks. There's a lot of different theories on using large breed formula( bulldogs are NOT considerd large breed, but if you read their largebreed puppy food label, it says to use it if your adult dog will exceed 50 lbs,)so I opted for that one with the advice of my vet because he says large breed food actually slows the growth down and because bulldogs grow so fast, that will help in the long run. Anyway, just as I was ready to start the transition, he came down with some " puppy bug" and I really messed up his digestive system with way too many changes! I really wanted to give Fromms Grain Free a chance so we took him off ALL food except boiled beef and white rice ( even for his treats) and the vet gave him medicine to help heal his digestive tract, we did this for 7 days and then SLOWLY added Beef Fritatta kibble. It has been 6 days and I am just now getting to about 1/2 cup of kibble with the rest (1/4 cup) of beef and rice. Good news is he is doing great on the Fromms Beef Fritatta- stools are nice and solid. I truly believe he was not tolerating the puppy food. So bottom line is do the transition slowly. The beef Fritatta is part of the 4 star grain free line which is interchangeable with all other 4 star products with no need to transition. There are 9 different choices. The puppy gold is good too, there are many here who use it; it has chicken in it, as well as barley and oatmeal which the 4 star does not have. It's really a matter of choice- a lot more choices with the allstage 4 star products, but if you really want a puppy food, go with the puppy gold. Mine just wasn't doing great on the puppy kibble. I am much happier ( and so is his digestive system) on the beef Fritatta! Good luck! Keep us posted!

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I had Franklin on so many different bags I tried Fromm puppy gold & adult an that was way to rich he had the :poo: for 6 days straight like every hour he was going it was horrible then tried the salmon he had gotten really bad tear stains for it an some sores on his body so now he's on Fromm beef frittata an I love it his tear stains are getting better no more sores I love it an he does to I give him a cup of kibble an a half a cup of green beans twice a day with apple cider vinegar in there water. He looks so good now I am very very happy with this food. I've gotten the best results with this food if you use it I hope you do to good luck

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Puppy food is always better for a growing puppy due to the extra calories and vitamins and minerals in them. They need these for the rapid growth and development that a puppy goes through , and also because they are more active. Puppy food should be fed for approximately the first 6 months, I switched my 2 to adult Fromms when they turned 7 months old. Fromms has a puppy formula called Fromms Puppy Gold, my female is allergic to chicken so could not tolerate it, so I put them on the Fromms Beef Fritata. But if you have no food allergies or sensitivities, then it should be okay, and also the 4 flavours of adult Fromms is interchangeable and an all stages food.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i dont have a puppy but from what ive heard and read if you have him on good food and its working id leave him alone till he is like 6 months old. pups can have diarrhea as it is much less if you go changing things around to much to early. unless of course he is on puppy chow then maybe not. just a thought

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
The nice thing with Fromm's: all of their Grain-free 4star is inter-changeable, so you can switch out flavors as you wish.

I have know bullies to be started on the 4star grain-free from a puppy and I have known some start with the puppy food and transition later. None of them had issues.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.