General Question Wilderness puppy or instinct all stages

ScottFree00

Dec 13, 2012
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Can anyone tell me if instinct all stages food is better than wilderness puppy? Lucy is becoming picky and has to be starving to eat the blue. I'm wondering if i can just get the instinct and switch flavors from time to time and even rotate in their raw boost food.

I want Lucy to get the best dog food we can get her. Pretty much all the highly rated foods i can get locally.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I can't answer your question but I will add one to it and perhaps we both can get some advice. I as well desire to feed the best food I can. I don't want to scrimpe on food at the risk of the health of my pup.
The breeder of Ace feeds all her dogs Canidae life stages and highly recommends it. So I went out before getting the pup and bought a 44# bag of the stuff. It's pretty highly rated on dogfoodadvisor ranking 4 or 5 deepending on the formula. The breeder also gave a gallon bag full to bring home with the dog. So anyway on the first visit to the vet she was inquiring what I fed the pup and I told her Canidae but I also said he would prefer the Maltese dog's food which is Purina Pro Plan for puppies that my wife still feeds him. So anyway the Vet said "smart dog" about Ace preferring the Purina because the Purina pro plan is better dog food. ? She said that alot of the dog food [I suppose referring to some of the lesser known but highly rated and expensive kibble] is surrounded by hype concerning the ingredients and that it is not that well regulated and can't be sure if it contains what it claims. So I began feeding Ace three quarters Canidae and one quarter Purina pro plan. But there is no doubt about it Ace much prefers the Purina pro plan for puppy's

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well how old is lucy. usually they like to keep them on puppy food till 6 months but ive heard of switching at 3 or 4 months. i dont see anything wrong with feeding the instinct over wilderness if your bully is old enough for it. is it better food for your bully well all bullies are different so thats kinda up to the bully.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I can't answer your question but I will add one to it and perhaps we both can get some advice. I as well desire to feed the best food I can. I don't want to scrimpe on food at the risk of the health of my pup.
The breeder of Ace feeds all her dogs Canidae life stages and highly recommends it. So I went out before getting the pup and bought a 44# bag of the stuff. It's pretty highly rated on dogfoodadvisor ranking 4 or 5 deepending on the formula. The breeder also gave a gallon bag full to bring home with the dog. So anyway on the first visit to the vet she was inquiring what I fed the pup and I told her Canidae but I also said he would prefer the Maltese dog's food which is Purina Pro Plan for puppies that my wife still feeds him. So anyway the Vet said "smart dog" about Ace preferring the Purina because the Purina pro plan is better dog food. ? She said that alot of the dog food [I suppose referring to some of the lesser known but highly rated and expensive kibble] is surrounded by hype concerning the ingredients and that it is not that well regulated and can't be sure if it contains what it claims. So I began feeding Ace three quarters Canidae and one quarter Purina pro plan. But there is no doubt about it Ace much prefers the Purina pro plan for puppy's
well honestly i dont think pro plan is good food and vets well i dont think they get much nutrition in school really. if your pup doesnt like the canidae well then you can try something else they may like better or just keep putting in a bit of pro plan to get them to eat the canidae. you could also get some canned food that is better quality and try that or some beef broth on the food.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I agree cowsmom. I have confidence in my vet but she is not infallible. I was surprised when she said that but my wife had one upped me because I was adament that I wanted to feed Ace a good quality feed and from what I read pro plan not so great. It rates a 3 on dog food advisor. I will feed the Canidae mixed with pro plan untill the Canidae is gone I guess. What do you feed and how well does your dog like it?

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
But if it was up to Ace [between the two foods ] it would be entirely pro plan because he loves it no doubt.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
But if it was up to Ace [between the two foods ] it would be entirely pro plan because he loves it no doubt.
well sarah is not on kibble as well she is allergic to every one ive tried but alot here feed fromm or earthborn or natures variety instinct. my thing is find what protein your bully does good on then work from there. every bully is different.

OP
ScottFree00

ScottFree00

Dec 13, 2012
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Are flavors within a brand ok to rotate without stomach upset? If so I'll probably stick with blue and start rotating them when she is off puppy

OP
ScottFree00

ScottFree00

Dec 13, 2012
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I don't know if i mentioned Lucy has a very dry coat and some dandruff. She's been on wilderness puppy for almost a month now. I've started pumping fish oil on her food as of yesterday. But my other problem is she doesn't seem like she likes the food.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Can anyone tell me if instinct all stages food is better than wilderness puppy? Lucy is becoming picky and has to be starving to eat the blue. I'm wondering if i can just get the instinct and switch flavors from time to time and even rotate in their raw boost food.

I want Lucy to get the best dog food we can get her. Pretty much all the highly rated foods i can get locally.

Hey there! I personally use Nature's Variety Instinct all stages since Remi was about 3 months old. It was a challenge since we discovered Remi is allergic to chicken and beef. We went from the turkey/duck to the lamb, and then to the salmon, and he is doing very well. Luckily the food is rotatable so you can mix it up. According to EBN and the food calculator someone here posted, probably @cowsmom, Most of the flavors are rated 6 stars.

@Rural mystic - I looked at the canidae food, but the company history was the only reason I went with NVI instead. (They made a lot of dogs sick, and even killed some) Otherwise, it is good quality and great value. No food I'm sure has a perfect tract record, but that just seemed pretty severe.

I really like the all stages food because I really don't think bulldogs don't need those calories and fat. I really prefer them to be lean to prevent health problems in the future.

I am not a dog food expert, but I can say I've gotten (strangely) several compliments from the vet and my trainer on Remi's weight at his age. SO I'm feeling good about the decision we made.

BTW, way too many dogs named Lucy. We're going to have to start numbering them :) hahahah!

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
That's another reason why a forum such as this is invaluable. There are so many brands, so many ratings, so many claims and so many opinions out there that its good to have a forum where folks can give real life examples and testimonies and perhaps one can make a more intelligent decision. It certainly helps narrow down the choices.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Are flavors within a brand ok to rotate without stomach upset? If so I'll probably stick with blue and start rotating them when she is off puppy

I wouldn't unless the food actually says it's rotatable.

OP
ScottFree00

ScottFree00

Dec 13, 2012
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Well Lucy is three months this week. I've got a full 25 lbs bag of wilderness. By the time we are done with it I'll probably be seeing results from the fish oil. If she is looking great at that time I'll keep her on the puppy food until 6 months. If not I'll find something else. Maybe not chicken based. If she is still dry looking I'll probably switch after this bag. She doesn't have any allergies though and her poop is good.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.