General Question 8 week bulldog puppy and loose stools

tljelinek

Jan 16, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Quincy and Zoey
We just brought home an eight week english bulldog puppy this past weekend. Our breeder had her on Canidae All Life Stages which I'm feeding her right now. I've notice loose stools for the last couple of days. Took her to the vet for updated shots and they recommended we switch her to a puppy formula. Any suggestions?

seernod

Jan 2, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry and Frenchie named Willow
We use Taste Of The Wild puppy formula . But it could be the stess of a new home to

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
It could be anything from the stress of her new surroundings to a difference in the water. Have you had her tested for worms?

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Your puppy breeder should have alerted you to possible changes. Any change with a bulldog can cause bowl changes.

How far away was the puppy born?

Changes in the water, stress of a new home and others can cause a loose stool.

I have use the Canidae ALS and I have no problem with that. This is one of my 2 recommended brands for new owners. If this is what your puppy was on, I would highly doubt this to be the problem. How long has the puppy been on that food? Was the puppy raised on that food or did the breeder switch over recently as well? I use RC to start with and then switch to Canidae at around 6-7 weeks.

Depending on when you got the shots, this could also be part of the issue. At 8 weeks, how many series of shots does your puppy have? When was the last set given before you got your puppy?

A loose stool is not too much of a concern. If it stays soft, gets softer as in diarrhea or get rock hard...then to be more concerned.

Monitor the texture of the stool. Usually it will improve in 2-3 days.

I would NOT recommend changing dog food for now.

Later on if you decide to change, there are LOTS of threads about recommendations for dog food brands AND how to properly change over to a new brand.

Good Day~
Keep posting updates

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
All stages is fine.... but sounds like it is the stress from the change. give a little canned pumpkin in her food and give it a few days more.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i agree with [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] its probably the stress of the changes. try some canned pumpkin and just see if his tummy settles in a few days or so. bullies are very sensitive to any kind of changes so he may just need a bit to settle in. i would also not change food at this point either if the breeder was feeding it and the pup was fine.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.