General Question Bogey's coming off the bland diet!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Tomorrow is the day! He is still on the Flagyl twice a day and we will restart the kibble tomorrow. He is starting out on Fromm's Beef Fritatta. At this point, he has had NO kibble in over a week, so we opted to start him back on the Allstage food. I am going to go REAL slow, like a couple of tablespoons at a time.

Another quick question: the raw diet intrigues me, but I really don't think I have it in me to do it! However, I am curious if raw chicken bones are ok to give as a treat? bogey has a TREMENDOUS chewing need and nylabones don't do it for him. I tried the marrow bones but he lost interest very quickly. Just wondering if anyone gives their kibble fed dogs these raw bones for chewing? Of course, there will be nothing new added to his diet until we are sure the kibble is ok for him, but would love to have some kind of bone that he will stay with for more than 5 minutes.
He LOVES the white rawhide bones, but he gets it only when I sit with him and as soon as it gets soft, I toss it. But he will chew on that for over an hour!

Any input?

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
I started the ladies on raw when they were 4 and 6 months old. I was very nervous as well and hovered over them while they ate chicken bones. I found that they chew everything up very well and take their time. They do so enjoy chewing, especially Liz. But they only last minutes, not hours of enjoyment like you describe with the rawhide.

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
I wouldn't recommend giving them just bones. 1) It's a choking hazard and 2) you will likely be adding too much bone to their diet, resulting in hard, "fossil" stools. If you're going to do that, why not just jump in head first and give them a whole chicken quarter?

Also, I understand the urge to watch over your dog "like a hawk" when they're eating (I'm guilty of doing this at times myself), but this may prove counterproductive. For instance, your dog may be afraid that you're going to take the bone from him, causing him to try to swallow it faster than he would otherwise.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I would suggest you stop the rawhide immediately. They are very dangerous because they tend to splinter and the dogs can easily choke on them.

Have you tried antlers?? Deer antlers or elk antlers .... my dogs eat them like they are crack!!!!! They last for ages and have the same nutritional value that you would get from a bone and it's marrow.

OP
mer55

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I would suggest you stop the rawhide immediately. They are very dangerous because they tend to splinter and the dogs can easily choke on them.

Have you tried antlers?? Deer antlers or elk antlers .... my dogs eat them like they are crack!!!!! They last for ages and have the same nutritional value that you would get from a bone and it's marrow.
He shows no interest whatsoever in antlers! I bought two- pretty expensive- he totally ignores them! The rawhide I have does not splinter- but he does get it soft if he stays in one place on it. That's when it gets tossed. I buy the large ones. He will sit with me on the couch at night and gnaw his little teeth for over an our before he turns in for the night. I would never give him this unless I am right with him. I know what happens if they get a piece off which he has never done. Was just wondering about the raw bones. Not ready to try it yet!! Thanks

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I wouldn't recommend giving them just bones. 1) It's a choking hazard and 2) you will likely be adding too much bone to their diet, resulting in hard, "fossil" stools. If you're going to do that, why not just jump in head first and give them a whole chicken quarter?

Also, I understand the urge to watch over your dog "like a hawk" when they're eating (I'm guilty of doing this at times myself), but this may prove counterproductive. For instance, your dog may be afraid that you're going to take the bone from him, causing him to try to swallow it faster than he would otherwise.

Good advise :2thumbs:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You said you have the nylabones... did you get the hard thick bone ot the clear sort a rubber bone? Banks is a hard core chewer and the Nylabone Galileo is her all time favorite after the marrow bones --- also, if he loses interest in the marrow bone have you tried filling it with peanut butter and frezzing it for him?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i fill my bostons kong with peanut butter and he will sit forever trying to get it out.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Use peanut butter as well in kongs. Lola likes this and I swear by it
pPETS-11629411dt.jpg

This is rock solid! She loved chewing on wood and since I got this she doesnt anymore and she can't chew it up!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.