Adam & Jen
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Question Bland diet

Hello,

Last night was a bad night for my little guy. We woke up in the morning to find that Winston had vomited and had diarrhea in and out of his crate. We are really worried as diet has not changed, no idea why this happened. We decided to do the bland diet, no vomit, diarrhea or any bm since.

Just wondering what measurements you use when doing this and for how long to do it for?
    Also, when will he poop? Is it common for them to be backed up after the bland diet?
    Any info would be great. Thanks.

Real Name
    Tabatha
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lady Guinevere, Little Be
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bland diet

I haven't had to a bland diet with Guinevere yet, so I'll be interested to hear what others say since bullys don't fit the typical dog mold. I will tell you my shepherd /lab mix had to go on a bland diet last week and it was a full day before she had a bm.. When she did it was still a little soft but fully formed!

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi, is there any chance he might have eaten something you don't know about? The reason I'm asking is the signs of obstruction is diarrhea, vomiting, and drooling water from the mouth, the next day he may be lethargic , or he may just continue to eat, play, and poop normal, but still have swallowed something. My male Bulldozer has eaten a sock twice , and we didn't know he had. The first time, he threw it up, the second time , he got all the above symptoms and got really sick, he almost had to go for surgery. I took him to the vet and they did a X-ray, it showed a shadow, but we didn't know what it was. The vet gave him IV fluids, pain medication, and a laxative. She send me home at 5 o'clock with fibre food, and we gave him a Tbsp every 1 to 2 hours to help move his bowels. At 8 o'clock that night he passed my grandsons sock, and was fine after that. Just keep an eye on him, and if he continues with the same symptoms, or seems listless or lethargic , take him to the vet just to be safe. Hope it's nothing serious, and he gets better. Sending love and prayers your way. Keep us posted.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

i havent had to do a bland diet either so i will tag some people who may know how much you feed of it. i would also be watching the vomiting and diarrhea because as vikinggirl said it could be signs on something that he swallowed. keep an eye on him and keep us updated please. @Sherry @2BullyMama @desertskybulldogs @Davidh @Lucy-licious

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Feed the bland diet as you would normal meal's , you can continue the diet until the bug or symptoms clear up. If they don't clear up in two day's time call the vet with your symptoms. You should take temperature also in case it's a bug. Your vet would want to know this. Keep plenty of fresh water on hand. I have added Pedealite in the food when we've had problems in the past

keep us posted
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Mary
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bogey
    Likes (Received)

Just went thru this with my 12 week old pup. Vomiting came out of nowhere. Stools were loose, but not what I would call diarrhea. Started him on boiled rice and boiled hamburger ( I got the very lean stuff) and then rinsed it to get all the fat off. Gave him 50/50 mix of the amount of his kibble (3/4-1 cup). Kept him on this for 3 days, then reintroduced the kibble, but I think i went too fast because although the vomiting was resolved, the stool was really soft serve. So, back to square one and bland for 2 days, back to kibble, but stools were too soft, and he vomited one morning, so vet gave him Flagyl (meds) and took him off all kibble for 5 days. We are at day 5 today and his stools are really firm and he is just fine. We are starting kibble tomorrow, but at a very slow pace. Bottom line, don't add back kibble too quickly. We also ruled out parasites with a stool sample just ot make me feel better! Lots of good experts here on diet and puppy poop, I am sure they will be along soon!
    Good luck!
    "We never really own a dog as much as they own us!"

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

After diarrhea it is normal to take a little bit to get things moving once the belly is settled. Figured it cleared everything out so it will take a little bit to fill up again. You have great advice as far as the bland diet goes already. Hope all is better soon for you.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

You have some good advise above, hope your baby gets better soon, and like they said if he is still not better in a day or two a vet visit is in order.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

.. if the diarrhea is that bad I would be tempted to leave them on the bland diet until normal poop arrives, and then slowly add the kibble back into the diet over a few days.

Real Name
    Adam & Jen
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Thank you everyone!
    Winston has been eating the bland diet since Saturday...so today is day three. He has not vomited since and had no bm's since yesterday evening. I was so happy to see poop lol But that was the first and the last.
    Hoping for more tonight...never thought I would wish for dog poop.
    I spoke to the vet and she said if it was an obstruction the vomiting would have gotten worse. Also, she said it could take a few days before he poops. It is good that he has an appetite.
    He hasn't been drinking water so I have been putting it in his food...hopefully he drinks soon....he wont even take ice cubes.
    Otherwise he seems himself besides being more sleepy than usual.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Glad to hear he's on the road to recovery.

Yes, all of us here are always on constant poop patrol ... that and eating. If they've stopped doing either, then we're all a mess with worry. Welcome to bully parenting. lol.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Bulldog Vet in Training Lauren31287's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Aww I hope he's feeling better soon! You have gotten some great advice so far! My Winston is the same way with a bland diet & the bm's we usually add a little bit of pumpkin to it to try to keep him somewhat regular! Poor little guy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads