adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Hello,

Last night was a bad night for my little guy. We woke up in the morning to find that Winston had vomited and had diarrhea in and out of his crate. We are really worried as diet has not changed, no idea why this happened. We decided to do the bland diet, no vomit, diarrhea or any bm since.

Just wondering what measurements you use when doing this and for how long to do it for?
Also, when will he poop? Is it common for them to be backed up after the bland diet?
Any info would be great. Thanks.

Tkelley

Oct 15, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Guinevere, Little Be
I haven't had to a bland diet with Guinevere yet, so I'll be interested to hear what others say since bullys don't fit the typical dog mold. I will tell you my shepherd /lab mix had to go on a bland diet last week and it was a full day before she had a bm.. When she did it was still a little soft but fully formed!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, is there any chance he might have eaten something you don't know about? The reason I'm asking is the signs of obstruction is diarrhea, vomiting, and drooling water from the mouth, the next day he may be lethargic , or he may just continue to eat, play, and poop normal, but still have swallowed something. My male Bulldozer has eaten a sock twice , and we didn't know he had. The first time, he threw it up, the second time , he got all the above symptoms and got really sick, he almost had to go for surgery. I took him to the vet and they did a X-ray, it showed a shadow, but we didn't know what it was. The vet gave him IV fluids, pain medication, and a laxative. She send me home at 5 o'clock with fibre food, and we gave him a Tbsp every 1 to 2 hours to help move his bowels. At 8 o'clock that night he passed my grandsons sock, and was fine after that. Just keep an eye on him, and if he continues with the same symptoms, or seems listless or lethargic , take him to the vet just to be safe. Hope it's nothing serious, and he gets better. Sending love and prayers your way. Keep us posted.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i havent had to do a bland diet either so i will tag some people who may know how much you feed of it. i would also be watching the vomiting and diarrhea because as vikinggirl said it could be signs on something that he swallowed. keep an eye on him and keep us updated please. [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious[/MENTION]

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Feed the bland diet as you would normal meal's , you can continue the diet until the bug or symptoms clear up. If they don't clear up in two day's time call the vet with your symptoms. You should take temperature also in case it's a bug. Your vet would want to know this. Keep plenty of fresh water on hand. I have added Pedealite in the food when we've had problems in the past

keep us posted

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Just went thru this with my 12 week old pup. Vomiting came out of nowhere. Stools were loose, but not what I would call diarrhea. Started him on boiled rice and boiled hamburger ( I got the very lean stuff) and then rinsed it to get all the fat off. Gave him 50/50 mix of the amount of his kibble (3/4-1 cup). Kept him on this for 3 days, then reintroduced the kibble, but I think i went too fast because although the vomiting was resolved, the stool was really soft serve. So, back to square one and bland for 2 days, back to kibble, but stools were too soft, and he vomited one morning, so vet gave him Flagyl (meds) and took him off all kibble for 5 days. We are at day 5 today and his stools are really firm and he is just fine. We are starting kibble tomorrow, but at a very slow pace. Bottom line, don't add back kibble too quickly. We also ruled out parasites with a stool sample just ot make me feel better! Lots of good experts here on diet and puppy poop, I am sure they will be along soon!
Good luck!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
After diarrhea it is normal to take a little bit to get things moving once the belly is settled. Figured it cleared everything out so it will take a little bit to fill up again. You have great advice as far as the bland diet goes already. Hope all is better soon for you.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You have some good advise above, hope your baby gets better soon, and like they said if he is still not better in a day or two a vet visit is in order.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
.. if the diarrhea is that bad I would be tempted to leave them on the bland diet until normal poop arrives, and then slowly add the kibble back into the diet over a few days.

OP
adamslater

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thank you everyone!
Winston has been eating the bland diet since Saturday...so today is day three. He has not vomited since and had no bm's since yesterday evening. I was so happy to see poop lol But that was the first and the last.
Hoping for more tonight...never thought I would wish for dog poop.
I spoke to the vet and she said if it was an obstruction the vomiting would have gotten worse. Also, she said it could take a few days before he poops. It is good that he has an appetite.
He hasn't been drinking water so I have been putting it in his food...hopefully he drinks soon....he wont even take ice cubes.
Otherwise he seems himself besides being more sleepy than usual.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Glad to hear he's on the road to recovery. :)

Yes, all of us here are always on constant poop patrol ... that and eating. If they've stopped doing either, then we're all a mess with worry. Welcome to bully parenting. lol.

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Aww I hope he's feeling better soon! You have gotten some great advice so far! My Winston is the same way with a bland diet & the bm's we usually add a little bit of pumpkin to it to try to keep him somewhat regular! Poor little guy.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you everyone!
Winston has been eating the bland diet since Saturday...so today is day three. He has not vomited since and had no bm's since yesterday evening. I was so happy to see poop lol But that was the first and the last.
Hoping for more tonight...never thought I would wish for dog poop.
I spoke to the vet and she said if it was an obstruction the vomiting would have gotten worse. Also, she said it could take a few days before he poops. It is good that he has an appetite.
He hasn't been drinking water so I have been putting it in his food...hopefully he drinks soon....he wont even take ice cubes.
Otherwise he seems himself besides being more sleepy than usual.

Glad he is coming around.... keep us posted and great move on the water in the food -- keep him hydrated

VegasGeorge

Jan 13, 2013
Sin City in the Great Mojave Desert
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Daisy
...never thought I would wish for dog poop.

Yup, I know exactly what you mean. I agree that maintaining the bland diet, then adding kibble back in slowly is the best approach. Be sure to stay away from "hot" kibbles. Bulldog pups don't need as much protein as more active breeds, and do better on more evenly balanced foods. I wouldn't be using anything marketed as "puppy" dog food. In my opinion you should use a high quality adult formula kibble, then add in a daily vitamin, Glucosamine Chondroitin with MSM, and Ester C. I've always fed a little pure pumpkin for increased fiber to keep my pups regular and their stools solid. Oh, and I've always fed a tablespoon of Cod liver Oil with each meal for their coats and to keep everything slick in there. ;) I've had numerous issues with my pups, but I've never had cause to doubt the wisdom of my feeding approach.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.