Help Needed! Question About Size/Feeding

PippaBD

Jan 9, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa
Hello all,

I'm wanting to know about the feeding requirements for my 3 month old girl Pippa and if she is getting enough food. The reason I am a little concerned is she seems small compared to some of the sizes I have seen for her age on here. She was 12.7 lbs at her last visit a couple of weeks ago. The vet did say that she is likely to be a smaller bully, which is of course fine by me as long as she is healthy.

I currently feed her a cup in the morning and another cup at lunch. She gets a dollap of cottage cheese in the morning, which she enjoys. I have not seen her act hungry at all, and there is usually some kibble left by our cut-off time at 7 pm. While she is always up for a treat, she doesn't seem hungry at the end of the day. She does eat her morning food by noon.

With my previous dogs, I just went by the bag recommendations on food, and monitored whether the pup seemed hungry or not. But they were not bulldogs and didn't have the same growth development, so I thought I would ask here. Any thoughts?

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
What are you feeding her?
2 cups a day sounds right to me,

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
Rumble is 3 months old (born 10-02-12) and he gets 3 cups of food a day. He is approximately 23 pounds though so he is definitely on the larger side it seems. Rumble always cleans his bowl and I'm sure he would eat more if we let him but he seems to be handling this amount of food nicely. Our food recommends 3 to 4 cups a day so we also went by that and just kind of monitored him. I think as long as the vet says she is healthy and she doesn't seem to be starving that you are fine.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Jake was on Fromm All Stage food at 3 months. He got 1/2 cup 3 times a day..until 6 months old. Then we slowly cut out the midday and went to 1 cup am and 1 cup pm.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I did the same as Jakeisgreat; Amber got 3 feedings and around 6 to 7 months I started weening her bacfk and now feed her morning and night. She gets roughly 1 to 1/2 cups per feeding depending on how active she has been during the day. On weekends she gets much more play time with all of us (4 hours daily more) so she burns more energy but through the week she waits for us to come home in the evening so her play time is less. I watch for her growth spurts too. If you feed the puppy too much it usually causes changes in the stools. Good luck.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sounds like she is getting enough, since she is leaving some and finishes it at night. I would add a little to her night feeding to see if she eats it. A growing puppy needs plenty of good food to help them develop as they grow.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
All great advice above. Everyone has a different approach or schedule, some feed 2 times a day, and some feed 3 times a day, there is no right or wrong. It depends on your work schedule and when you are home. We fed our two guys 1 cup three times a day from the age of 8 weeks until they were 7 months, then we switched them to adult food Fromms Beef Fritata, and cut out the afternoon feeding, they eat 1 1/2 cups in the morning, and 1 1/2 cups in the evening. They consistently gained 2 lbs a month, and are 10 months old now and weigh 36 and 38 lbs. their poop is soft but firm, and the vet is happy with the way they look. They are stocky, with a defined waist, and you can feel their ribs , but not see them. At 3 months of age it's generally recommended to feed 2 to 3 cups a day divided into 3 feedings, until the age of 6 or 7 months, and then switch to adult food and 2 to 3 cups a day divided into 2 feedings, but every dog is different, and you have to see how the poop is, if you feed too much they can get runny or soft poops. If your Pippa is fine on the current 2 feedings a day of 1 cup each, then leave it at that, but maybe feed her once in the morning and once at night, as it may be too long between feedings from lunch until the next morning, she may be hungry. Or you can try feeding her 1 cup three times a day , at 7 am, 2 pm , and again at 7 pm. She needs the extra fat, calories , as she's still growing, and also being a puppy, she is more active.

OP
PippaBD

PippaBD

Jan 9, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa
Thanks guys. I might try adding a little more at night, see if she doesn't want a little snack. She doesn't look skinny at all, like a previous poster you can feel her ribs but not see them.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i was thinking that lunch time till in the morning is a long time for a pup to go without eating anything. id think about feeding more at night also. you could even break up the noon feeding with the night one.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Each bulldog is different based upon the blood lines. While the "standard" as listed by the AKC and other Countries are about equal, the range of "normal" varies. I have two big males: one weighs 85 and the other weighs 68. Dozer is almost 6 and he is on maintenance amount and gets 1c 2x @ day. Mack is only 2 and is still gaining weight and get 1.5c 2x@day.

Bullies are always hungry!
Never overfeed a bullie

The amount you feed depends on the food, the activity level and the parents. Look closely at the parents. This is how they will turn out.

I agree that 2x@ day is best in the morning and once in the evening. Possibly a small smiggin at lunch just to carry over.

Good Day~

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
At that age I had her on 1/3 a cup 3x a day then I went up to 1/2 cup 3x a days for a month or then up to 3/4 a cup and now at almost 8 months she is on 1 cup 3x a day.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online