Help Needed! Advice needed on food choice

dorian

Jan 10, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I just joined your forum after spending my first month with my English Bulldog, Winston. He's a rescue dog, 5 years old.

When I got him I decided to switch him from Kirkland Sweet Potato food to Nutro Adult Sensitive Stomachs in an effort to reduce his substantial gas. It's worked very well, but he's now taken to vomiting bile over the past week or so. He's thrown up a yellow foam three times in the past ten days or so, twice in the morning and one time in the evening. He also seems to have his appetite come and go, alternating between leaving his food in the dish for 3-4 hours before eating it and eating voraciously as soon as the bowl hits the floor.

I'm wondering if anyone has insight into possible dietary issues/changes that could be causing this? Or could it be a little touch of the doggie flu going around? I've been a dog owner for 19 years, but this is my first bulldog and the first dog I've had completely on my own, so it's a little different. I know they require a different level of attention and care, and I want to provide that for him to the best of my ability.

Thanks!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
It could be a virus but I would lean more towards the food choice. That is a good food but Winston must be either allergic to something in the food or something in the food isn't agreeing with his stomach. Try doing the bland diet for a couple days if the vomiting continues and see if that helps then you can figure out what he is allergic too. Hope this helps please keep us updated

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
Do you feed him on a regular schedule? When he threw up bile, did you deviate from this schedule?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
When they throw up bile, it is usually because they have an empty stomach and feel sick from it. It is likely due to his odd eating schedule.

Nutro is not considered a very high-quality kibble, so I would start with that. Check out our dog food ratings here on the site :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
My Maggie used to do EXACTLY the same thing .... but then I discovered the food I was giving her was really awful ... so I switched her to a really good high-quality food.

The problem totally disappeared and never ever came back again!!! :up:

So I would get him on the bland diet for a few days and start to research a new food to try!! My guess is that what you are giving him now is even worse for him than the Kirkland food he was on before!!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Sometimes it takes a few switches to find just the right food for your bully. Not every food, even the really good ones works best for everyone. And it can take over a month of being on a particular food to really see the results. For HRH she needs to be on something grain free, chicken free and salmon free. So we feed her Fromm Beef Fritatta and she does fairly well on it. Still a little yeast, but not too bad. We tried Earthborn to help with the yeast, that was all the above, and she regressed to having more issues with paw licking and yeast, so we went back to the Fromm.
Whatever you decide on, do a slow transition over a couple weeks, then give it a good month of trial after full transition to see what results you are getting. Hopefully you won't have to try too many different ones to find the right one. But food is the NUMBER TWO all important key to helping him have a healthy happy life. NUMBER ONE is YOUR LOVE and Security in that love.

Last edited:
OP
D

dorian

Jan 10, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thanks for the advice folks. Winston got sick again this morning with that yellow froth, so I've officially switched him off to a bland diet for a couple of days to get him on track. We used to do it with our family dogs as well when they'd get sick, so I'm confident it will help.

I'm going to start researching good food alternatives today and see what I can come up with. Apparently my parents' dogs, also both on Nutro, have recently begun vomiting the exact same bile as well. Definitely suspicious.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
You got all the great advice you need already. ;) is the vomiting after or before a meal? Just be sure not to let their tummy get too empty or they will throw up.

OP
D

dorian

Jan 10, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Winston has been good all day yesterday and today since I stopped feeding him the Nutro and switched him over to rice and lean chicken. I'm going to continue that for the rest of the weekend and start him on a new food Monday.

As of now, based on what I've read here and on other sites, I'm going to look into getting a bag of Fromm kibble. It seems to be incredibly well received and immediately recommended by bully owners all over.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks again.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Winston has been good all day yesterday and today since I stopped feeding him the Nutro and switched him over to rice and lean chicken. I'm going to continue that for the rest of the weekend and start him on a new food Monday.

As of now, based on what I've read here and on other sites, I'm going to look into getting a bag of Fromm kibble. It seems to be incredibly well received and immediately recommended by bully owners all over.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks again.

I am not a food expert and I am hoping [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] sees this soon, but you might want to start with the Beef Fritatta. It's grain and chicken free. Even the Surf n Turf has chicken in it. Lots of Bully's have chicken issues.

OP
D

dorian

Jan 10, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Beef Fromm is not available in my area, only chicken, salmon, whitefish, and I think duck and sweet potato.

Suggestions? I'm looking at picking up a bag tomorrow, and I'm leaning towards whitefish as I'd consider it a lighter protein source and I think it would probably not produce the flatulence problems I've seen from him with salmon and sweet potato.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Beef Fromm is not available in my area, only chicken, salmon, whitefish, and I think duck and sweet potato.

Suggestions? I'm looking at picking up a bag tomorrow, and I'm leaning towards whitefish as I'd consider it a lighter protein source and I think it would probably not produce the flatulence problems I've seen from him with salmon and sweet potato.

Is that grain free? If you do one of the 4 Star flavors, you can switch back and forth without transitioning. It's only the grain free ones tho..dang..where is [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]!

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] might know too!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I would think fish would be ok just make sure she doesn't have a chicken allergy!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok im here geez cant a girl have a little sickness. :D ive found with bullies finding the right protein is as important as finding the right carb such as rice or potato or peas. id probably try the whitefish or the duck and see what happens. ive found sarah is almost gas free with the right food. oh and i believe all of fromm 4 star foods are interchangeable but with bullies i always tend to give some lead in just to be sure.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.