Thread: Advice needed on food choice

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Advice needed on food choice

Quote Originally Posted by dorian View Post
    Beef Fromm is not available in my area, only chicken, salmon, whitefish, and I think duck and sweet potato.

Suggestions? I'm looking at picking up a bag tomorrow, and I'm leaning towards whitefish as I'd consider it a lighter protein source and I think it would probably not produce the flatulence problems I've seen from him with salmon and sweet potato.

Is that grain free? If you do one of the 4 Star flavors, you can switch back and forth without transitioning. It's only the grain free ones tho..dang..where is @cowsmom!

@desertskybulldogs might know too!

Bully lovin' movie buff Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Jenni
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Lucy
    Likes (Received)

I would think fish would be ok just make sure she doesn't have a chicken allergy!

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

ok im here geez cant a girl have a little sickness. ive found with bullies finding the right protein is as important as finding the right carb such as rice or potato or peas. id probably try the whitefish or the duck and see what happens. ive found sarah is almost gas free with the right food. oh and i believe all of fromm 4 star foods are interchangeable but with bullies i always tend to give some lead in just to be sure.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Just an update on Winston to those who requested:

I tried him on a Nutro/Fromm whitefish mix and he got sick immediately, which he hadn't done to that point in this saga. I removed the Nutro completely and replaced it with white rice, so he's now eating a mix of 2 parts rice, 1 part Fromm. He's eating it enthusiastically and not getting sick, so it's good all around.

I plan on going fully to Fromm over the next two weeks or so, slowly removing the rice and replacing it with more kibble. His flatulence is back, but at least he's able to keep his food down now. One problem out of time I guess haha

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dorian View Post
    Just an update on Winston to those who requested:

I tried him on a Nutro/Fromm whitefish mix and he got sick immediately, which he hadn't done to that point in this saga. I removed the Nutro completely and replaced it with white rice, so he's now eating a mix of 2 parts rice, 1 part Fromm. He's eating it enthusiastically and not getting sick, so it's good all around.

I plan on going fully to Fromm over the next two weeks or so, slowly removing the rice and replacing it with more kibble. His flatulence is back, but at least he's able to keep his food down now. One problem out of time I guess haha
    Okay, Winston and Nutro is a no-no.

About his flatulence... flatulence in dogs is usually caused by malabsorption of carbs. So, more than likely, your culprit is the sweet potato. And since Fromm whitefish also contains Sweet Potato as its 4th ingredient (a significant amount), that could be why the flatulence did not decrease. Out of the Fromm family, the Grain-free Salmon Tunalini does not have sweet potato - although it does have Russett Potato still. You can try that next time and see if it helps with the flatulence.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads