Other Large breed or not?

Hstead

Nov 14, 2012
Ironton OH
Bulldog(s) Names
Spielman (RIP) Bolt
I bought a "large breed" puppy food and it has less protein than the "normal" puppy food of the same brand. I thought I had read on this site is was better for bulldogs to have less protein as they do not "exercise" like most other breeds. Even my puppy would be what I would categorize as "lazy" by puppy standards. He is tuckered out quickly compared to many other breeds I have raised.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I bought a "large breed" puppy food and it has less protein than the "normal" puppy food of the same brand. I thought I had read on this site is was better for bulldogs to have less protein as they do not "exercise" like most other breeds. Even my puppy would be what I would categorize as "lazy" by puppy standards. He is tuckered out quickly compared to many other breeds I have raised.

That's because there's a prevalent misconception in the dog food industry as well as the vets that excess protein is bad for dogs. Excess protein is only bad for dogs if the dog has liver problems or if the protein comes from plant matter instead of animal matter. You can feed your healthy dog 70% protein from animal carcass (as is prevalent in the raw food feeding method) and they would be healthier for it.

Okay food is generally composed of the following components: Protein, Fat, Water, Ash (Minerals), and Carbohydrates. The energies of each component add up to the total calorie content of the food. So, a good quality dog food would have about 30% Protein content, about 8% Ash, 10% water, 15% Fat leaving only 37% for carbs for each serving that equates to X number of calories. When you lower the protein content, you usually increase the carbs content (to make 100%). Carbs is bad for dogs. Dogs do not have the proper enzymes to break down carbs so it is very hard on their digestive system. If your carbs content goes to the 45%+ range it is bad food regardless of what kind of dog you have.

A "lazy" bulldog would need lower calorie food. But that doesn't mean you feed him food with a lower protein content which would cause an increase in carbs content which would not only make your dog even fatter, it would be bad for your dog's digestive system. You lower the caloric intake of the dog by feeding lower calories per serving and maintaining the same percentage of protein. This can be achieved by simply feeding the dog less food.

Last edited:

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Lol I not only learned a lot on this post but got a chuckle out of it too :p I <3 EBN u guys are pawsome!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mer55

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Thanks for all the info! Boy,it does get confusing!! I like the [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] motto: trial and error and what works for you! I know each bulldog is unique and growth is too, so, I guess it's day by day. I had another dog with such yeast issues and it sickens me that I could not find a food that worked, but then again, I did not have EBN and all the food gurus to give advice. I went with my breeders recommendation, but then again, she had the pups on Eukanuba! So, I am glad I went with Fromm's but now I am second guessing the Large Breed puppy!! YIKES!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.