General Question Miss Lola just got back from the vet

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I had to take Lola in to talk about her spay ad they did some blood work so she will be getting fixed the 23rd. I was going to get her fixed earlier but im going out of town and I dont want her to be recovering and needing to rest while we are traveling. But the vet told me she is still to thin. On her last puppy visit they told me the same thing also, since then I have added 1/4 cup of the 4% cottage cheese one a day at dinner, and the past week I have added honest kitchen food along with her kibble in the morning. She is getting 3 cups of food 3x a day and is on fromm. She also gets treats during the day and fruit like apples and banana so how in the heck is this not enough? My vet isn't familiar with fromm but he did look it up and he told me that it's a very low fat food so I need to either start feeding her more or start adding more calories to her diet. Does anyone have any good healthy ideas on how to do that? I don't want to just give her crap I want her to have healthy fats that will put on weight but also keep her healthy. Any help would be wonderful! Thanks!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well..isn't Miss Lola LUCKY??? I wish my doctor would tell ME this! How much does she weigh? Is she not gaining at all? I don't know much different than what you are doing.. Maybe @desertskybulldogs might...

thought of bananas...

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Can you take a photo of her from the topside? I would really like to know what your vet is calling "too thin"....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lola is getting 9 cups of food a day? of 1 cup 3x a day?

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I am zero help, but are they sure there is nothing else going on with her? 9 cups of Fromm/day seems like ALOT of food. That's more than recommended for the Great Dane I have been researching (Shhhh, don't tell Tonka). Tonka eats 3 cups/day if I can get that into him and a few treats and he is 55 lbs at 11 months. That just seems like a ton of food to be eating everyday and still be too skinny, unless it's 1 cup/3x.... That's still seems about right though.

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
How old is she? What does she weigh now? Which and how much Fromm does she get a day?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Did you mean 1 cup 3 times a day. 9 cups of food a day seems like a Lot of food to be eating and not gaining. If you are feeding 3 cups a day , you could add a little bit more, or maybe you could try replacing some of her meals with home cooked food. Ground beef with mixed vegetables and brown rice or sweet potatoes. The best persons to ask are Cowsmom , and Desertskybulldogs , regarding food related questions

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
You really don't want to add protein in her diet, but tripe and for example lamb fat are god options.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
No she is getting 3 cups of food a day so 1 cup per meal then in the morning I mix 1/4 cup honest kitchen food with some water and mix it with her cup of kibble. She is a tall girl and looks lean but by no means thin! I am going to take a pic right now and post it give me a couple minutes.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I really hope you aren't feeding that sweet girl 9 cups of food a day lol

I wouldn't change foods or treats. Get her some organic cocount oil to add some calories to her meals. One tsp per 10 pounds of body weight or 1 tbs per 30 pounds. Start slow with once a day, working up to adding it at each feeding. Some dogs can get sick if given the full dose right away. You can easily add 300 calories a day and put some healthy weight on her.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
GEDC1543.jpgGEDC1544.jpgGEDC1546.jpg
She looks good to me! From the side you can see the bottom of her ribs sticking out some but she has always been like that. Her hips and waist are narrow but they don't look thin to me thats just the way she is built. She has always been shaped like this so Im not sure to be worried or just go about what I'm doing and just go with my gut on this one. Lolas breeder told me she was thin the a week ago when we met up with her also. She acts healthy and if very active so I think she is fine what ya think?

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Oh and I forgot Lola weighed 43lbs today and I think thats pretty good for a 7 month old! I already do give her coconut oil 2ml a day so maybe that is to small of an amount from what you have said so that would e enough for a 20lb dog so I could add there but I don't want to make her sick from all the stuff she is on!

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
@sweetpeasmom2008 - 43lbs and 7 months and your vet think she is too skinny???? Izzy has the same shape as Lola. Taller and longer, therefore less chuncky. I guess it might be her body type... I was too trying to make Izzy gain a little weight but at the time I was only feeding her 2 cups a day. I added 0.5 cup and treats (almond butter once a week, cheese string, cottage cheese, 1 egg once a week)... I just rotate with whatever I have available in my refrigerator. But she looks pretty good to me.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
View attachment 34056View attachment 34057View attachment 34058
She looks good to me! From the side you can see the bottom of her ribs sticking out some but she has always been like that. Her hips and waist are narrow but they don't look thin to me thats just the way she is built. She has always been shaped like this so Im not sure to be worried or just go about what I'm doing and just go with my gut on this one. Lolas breeder told me she was thin the a week ago when we met up with her also. She acts healthy and if very active so I think she is fine what ya think?

Looks perfect to me!! Never met a vet who would say she's too thin :confused:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Ok! Well I will not put to much thought into what he said then! She does have more of a lean taller look and she isnt as round and wide as some I have seen but she looks healthy and acts healthy so I guess it is what it is. Now its just the wait to get her fixed!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.