General Question Protein / Calcium requirements for puppies!

Zapien

Oct 30, 2012
Zillah, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Nihya
Hi everyone,

I was wondering...I have Nihya and her puppies on Taste Of The Wild Sierra Mountain with Roasted Lamb (all stages food).

It has 25% protein min., 15% fat min., and 1.6% calcium.

Are these nutritional values OK for 9 week old puppies? Or should they be getting more calcium, fat, protein, etc...

The two puppy formulas through TOTW have 27% protein, 15% fat, 1.4 calc. (salmon) and 28% protein, 17% fat, 1.4 calc. (venison & bison)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
the calcium levels in commercially prepared foods are designed to be perfect. You only need to worry about supplementing if you are home cooking.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
As [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] said, as long as you stay with a good quality commercial food, you will not have any problems.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Hi everyone,

I was wondering...I have Nihya and her puppies on Taste Of The Wild Sierra Mountain with Roasted Lamb (all stages food).

Are these nutritional values OK for 9 week old puppies? Or should they be getting more calcium, fat, protein, etc...

The two puppy formulas through TOTW have 27% protein, 15% fat, 1.4 calc. (salmon) and 28% protein, 17% fat, 1.4 calc. (venison & bison)

For puppies, lesser calcium is better. 1.6% is fine, 1.4% is better.

And lesser protein is not good. 25% is borderline. Anything less would be too low. Higher protein is better.

Monitor your puppy's body condition. If he gets too pudgy (rolly polly meat instead of just rolly polly skin with regular meat under it) then lower his caloric intake. You want to feel his ribs under all that skin. If he gets too skinny (ribs popping out) increase his caloric intake. It's good to see some definition around his hips as he grows older.

Last edited:

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
P.S. Just wanted to say, in case you haven't heard, that TOTW had a voluntary recall last year. This affects bags that have expiration dates around March 2013 or something. You might just want to check for sure that your bag is not in that lot.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Hi everyone,

Your puppies will be fine on this diet, make sure you soften the food real good, I always mixed a can of Carnation Dehydrated milk, and a dollop of yogurt to the mush mix. they really love it. Don't overdue the ratio of milk/yogurt to the mush.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online