General Question Explain Yogurt and Cottage cheese

whitebronc

Jan 2, 2013
So Cal
Bulldog(s) Names
Ike
Hi Everyone,

I have been reading about the nutrition and food for puppies here.
Some have mentioned adding yogurt or cottage cheese on top of the food.

Is this something I should do for my puppy Ike?

Thanks!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ok..Yogurt is a great probiotic. That helps digestion and keeps healthy bacteria in their systems balanced. Cottage cheese is more a source of protein. I don't use this on Jake..mainly because his food has plenty of protein and if I add anything it's Greek nonfat yogurt. I am sort of the less is more type. The more you introduce to a pup, the more you increase your odds of an allergy shown to that item. Most kibbles have probiotics added but you need to check for sure.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
If you plan to add any of those, don't forget to look for the plain, non-flavoured versions. Those tend to have a higher sugar amount, which your baby doesn't need. :)

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
My Lola didnt tolerate yogurt very well and she would get the runs so I switched to cottage cheese and I love it! I like the calcium in it for her bones since they grow so fast and she look lean but solid!

lacee

Dec 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
mollee
I started adding the cottage cheese lately with Mollee. I read how good it is for them. My sons hate it cuz they are scared it will give her worse gas. LOL!!! She has gas anyway so if she likes it shes getting it. :) But, honestly i think it wont hurt. It seems to be good for bones.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Ok..Yogurt is a great probiotic. That helps digestion and keeps healthy bacteria in their systems balanced. Cottage cheese is more a source of protein. I don't use this on Jake..mainly because his food has plenty of protein and if I add anything it's Greek nonfat yogurt. I am sort of the less is more type. The more you introduce to a pup, the more you increase your odds of an allergy shown to that item. Most kibbles have probiotics added but you need to check for sure.

What Jakeisgreat said is correct. Yogurt is a great dialy probiotic, for you, your bully, and everyone! Even though kibbles have probiotic in them, adding just a dallop a day can only be beneficial.

Cottage cheese provides calcium and vitamin D, as well as FAT. Do not give a bully who needs to lose weight cottage cheese. The downside to cottage cheese is not being cow's milk tolerant so I would never give this daily. Maybe every other day, and also just a scoop. I wish I could find cottage cheese made of goats milk!!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
if you are going to add these to your bullies diet then i would do so one at a time so you can see how they tolerate it. some dogs do not tolerate milk products and some do.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
All great advice, can't really add anything, other than i give plain unsweetened yogurt in their food every other day, and cottage cheese as an accasional treat, I also give them cheese strings, cut up apples, bananas, strawberries, and hard booiled eggs as an occassional treat as well.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
My reason for using them was more to increase the calcium than anything else. But they also love it ... all the dogs love it not just the bullies!! So the yogurt, fruit, veggies, cottage cheese, pumpkin etc that I use as a topping is to make it a little more special and interesting for them more than anything else!!

Members online