Help Needed! Switching from Royal Canine to Fromms surf and turf

Smoothrider

Dec 27, 2012
Minnesota
Bulldog(s) Names
Mugs , pearl
I have 2 bullies Mugs 4 yrs and Pearl 2 yrs . Mugs has devolped allergys . hes scratching , licking and having discharge from his eyes , I have been feeding him and Pearl, Royal Canine since a vet told us RC was the "cadillac " of dog foods . last week I happenned on ths site and did alot of research on dog foods ..I have since discovered Royal Canine is hardly the Cadillac of foods.:eek: I have been slowly switching them to Fromms Surf and Turf , hoping this will help Mugs with his issues . Has any other freinds here dealt with this.and can you switch between Fromms gold star reciepes?..thank you ..Bob

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Good luck! Fromm is certainly MUCH better than Royal Canin! I am pretty sure you can switch freely between them all unless you are targeting to be grain free and in that case not all the Fromm formulas are grain free, only 3 are I believe.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Good choice ..The 4 star formulas are the ones you can switch up on. Surf n Turf is one of those. Just so you know..Surf n Turf does have chicken in it. Jake is sensitive to chicken so we found out the hard way! The slow switch is the key and even adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin will help a lot. !00% canned pumpkin..not the pie filling!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I got my 2 EB from the breeder, and they came with a bucket of Royal Canin, and I asked him if it was a good food. He told me it was a very good food, when I took them to the vet for their initial health check, I asked the vet the same question, and she told me it was a good food as well. She sells Royal Canin in her office , so I'm sure she gets kickbacks for selling it, and promoting it. I read the ingredients list , and wasn't convinced. I started to do some research and asking questions regarding food, which is how I found this site. I switched them to Go Natural, as I was familiar with this food, and liked the fact that it was one of the 6 Star foods, it had human grade chicken, and was made in Canada. That's when we found out Blossom had sensitivity or allergies to chicken, corn, grains, her whole face, ears, and paws turned really pink, and she developed chin rashes and acne, and also developed diarrhea. We switched back to Royal Canin, as per advice of the Vet. She continued to have skin problems, redness, and itchiness. I started researching on this site, and asked advice from others, and decided on Fromms Beef Frittata, it had no chicken, or grains, and both of my pups are doing great on it, it's been 3 months, and they have no diarrhea, allergies, or redness, also their poops are firm but soft, they go regularly and it doesn't smell as much as it did , it still smells mind you, after all it is Poop after all lol. The nice thing about the 4 Fromms varieties is that they can be interchanged without having to transition between the foods, and they are an all stages food. Good luck , and I hope you find a food that works for you

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Great advice here - I fed Royal Canin too before I got on this site. I would say it's more like the Ford Fiesta of dog foods.** :D

**Apologies is anyone drives a Ford Fiesta!

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
Great advice here - I fed Royal Canin too before I got on this site. I would say it's more like the Ford Fiesta of dog foods.** :D

**Apologies is anyone drives a Ford Fiesta!

:rofl:

We too fed Royal Canin Bulldog formula to our baby, and it was recommended by our vet as well. It wasn't until I found this website and got addicted that I decided a different food would be much better for Winston. I can't convince my husband that Fromm's is the way to go, but at least he listened and now Winnie is on a grain-free diet of Blue Basic. I think it has turkey in it but no chicken; he loves it and gobbles it up nicely. It has only been about a week, but the itchy red bumps on his tummy have almost all gone away! I can't wait to see how he is when he's switched over fully. Hopefully his butt will stop being itchy too. Nothing worse than sitting and having a bulldog back up to you for buttscratchin's. BEEP, BEEP, BEEP!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I feed Ftse Royal Canine and have had no trouble but here in Australia it is the best we dont have Fromme here.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I too feed RC, then found out Banks was allergic to chicken and it was not a good food, went to raw and she developed colitis so we then went to Fromm Beef Frittata and occasionally give her Fromm Game Bird... but the Surf-n-turf casued her some issues as did the Tunalini -- she has some sensitivity to salmon.

Good luck... others have given you great advice and you'll see... what works for one may not work for another.

OP
Smoothrider

Smoothrider

Dec 27, 2012
Minnesota
Bulldog(s) Names
Mugs , pearl
Thank you for your feed back my freinds , and JAKEISGREAT on the heads up on the chicken in surf and turf . I figured since Im switching Ill cut the chicken as well , plus my wife dont like the smell of the salmon in surf and turf . So took it back to our pet food store and exchanged it for Fromms beef frittata . The pet food store is steller . you can exchange the food as long as you dont use more han 1/2 the bag . and after 10 bags , the 11th is free . sweet.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i fed sarah rc when i was searching for a food for her. she did not do well on it but then again she is allergic to pretty much all kibble. fromm is great and you can switch between the 4 stars pretty easy. with bullies i would still give some lead in but not like when switching brands. good luck and keep us posted.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.