General Question How much is enough??

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Was just reading all the posts on another thread, (Henry and his low weight) and have a question about food amounts! I am giving Bogey Fromm's Large breed puppy- He gets 3/4 cup in am, 1/2 cup at noon and a rounded 1/2 cup at dinner. He cleans his plate and seems to look for more! I always add a tbsp of something else- pumpkin, cottage cheese or egg white. He seems to be growing by leaps and bounds. His poop is generally firm, with an occasional soft one- which I can attribute to his treats. [MENTION=7028]Hstead[/MENTION]: I saw you are giving Spielman 1 cup 3 x a day! What food are you using? I seem to remember that with Fromm, you use less than what is recommended. Am I starving my poor guy??? His weight went from 10 lbs at 8 weeks, to 15.7 at 11 weeks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Mary

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
What a little porker!!!!!! ROFL... Im just kidding you!

What happens if you give him a little more? Runs? or is he ok with a little more? Im not sure how much if any more I would give him but he is at the low end of volume for a puppy that age. I tend to think Id leave it alone and maybe just increase a little bit if he slows down much.

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Wow ... I feed Seamus TOTW and he has gotten this since he was a puppy. He gets 3 cups a day (1 1/2 in the morning and again at night). In the first few months he was gaining anywhere between 5-10lbs a month. He is now 8 months old and weighs in at 47lbs. We got him at 12 weeks and he was 15lbs lol. Growing fast!

Hstead

Nov 14, 2012
Ironton OH
Bulldog(s) Names
Spielman (RIP) Bolt
I thought I had read on here that pups of 12 weeks or so and up eat a little more than adults, around 3 cups per day. Most seem to feed adults 2 cups per day to keep them from getting fat. Spielman has solid doo so I have kept him at 3 cups. He would eat more I believe. I feed him when he goes to his bowl looking for food. I figure if he is looking for food then he is hungry so I feed him. He cleans the bowl each feeding most of the time.

I feed him Diamond Naturals Large Puppy from tractor supply. The ingredients rated decently high from the research Id did. some on this site do not recommend Diamond because they are part of the company that had the large recall a few years back. I am not as concerned with that myself. Here is the link to the food....http://www.tractorsupply.com/diamon...eed-puppy-lamb-rice-formula-40-lb-bag-2800139

It has a lot of the ingredients that the "experts" recommend as far as main meats, fats, and the lack of the "not so good ingredients".

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
@mer55 i thought 3/4 cup 3 times a day was the general rule for puppies and of course more of less depending on the pup.

Last edited:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
When my 2 were younger they ate 1 cup 3 times a day, and then we switched them to adult food Fromms Beef, at 7 months we switched to 1 1/2 cups twice a day. They consistently gained about 2 pounds a month, and now are 10 months old, and weigh 36 and 38 lbs. a puppy needs a little more for the extra growth and development, so 3/4 to 1 cup a day is a good amount until they are 6 to 7 months, and then you can switch to feeding either 1 or 1 1/2 cups twice a day, depending on your dog and his poop. My two have normal regular poops that are firm but soft, and not mushy at all.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.