Fromm Dog food question??

Kginqt13

Sep 18, 2010
Plainfield, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Porky
I was going to order Fromm Dog food for Porky and was wondering which one to get? Is there one that is better then the other? I would like to order asap before I run out of my dog food so that I can switch her the right way.

Thanks in advance.

Brandi

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I always recommend the grain free first- so grain free surf and turf is what I loved with Fromm. What are you feeding now? I am always searching for more Dog Food then and now stories, so if you have some great results (and before and after photos) please let me know :)

OP
K

Kginqt13

Sep 18, 2010
Plainfield, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Porky
Thanks for the quick reply. She is on Royal canine and she is still having major ear allergies. So I want to try to switch her to something better and from what I hear and read on here Fromm is the best.
Any other recomendations??

She has had yeart in her ears and the vet kept giving me meds for it but nothing works. She gets a horrible smell from it. And she is always scatching. I feel terrible for her.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes, try the grain free for sure. the other ones you can try are Natures Variety or Natures Logic. Nature's Variety is gluten free, no potatoes or starch, grains, just meat and veggies and fruits. This could also be a good choice for you.

How are you cleaning the ears? I just posted here on ear cleaning too: http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...ranoid-about-yeast-in-puppy&p=16131#post16131

P.S. I did not like Royal Canin- it is not the worst food out there, but it is definitely not the best either.....

Hope you take some before and afters!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I agree with desertsky, I would go grain free if you are fighting yeast and stuff. I am using the chicken a la veg which is not grain free but I may upgrade at some point also, not sure yet. So far I like this but we dont have any yeasty issues.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Hi Brandi! My Linus had a very similar problem - in fact, he was eating Royal Canin and suffering from constant ear infections due to yeast and bacteria - I know your pain! I have never tried Fromm but it is an excellent food. I also wanted to share my experience to see if it might help. Because of the ear infections, I changed Linus to a grain free food, the first of which was Taste of the Wild. He did better on it but he was still growing a TON of yeast in his wrinkles and ears. Then, I was made aware of a possible link between sweet potatoes (a main ingredient in most grain free foods) and yeast growth. So I began my search for a food that was grain free and didn't have potatoes as a main ingredient. That narrowed the search down quite a bit and, with the help of this site, I tried Nature's Variety Instinct Grain Free formula. It comes in Turkey and Duck, Salmon, Chicken and Rabbit formulas, all of which are interchangeable. The ingredients for the Turkey and Duck formula are listed below:

Duck Meal, Turkey Meal, Salmon Meal, Tapioca, Canola Oil, Tomato Pomace, Pumpkinseeds, Herring Meal, Sun-Cured Alfalfa Meal, Montmorillonite Clay, Natural Flavor, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Carotene, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Potassium Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide), Sea Salt, Dried Kelp, Peas, Cranberries, Blueberries, Direct-Fed Microorganisms (Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Yeast Culture, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract, Dried Trichoderma Longibrachiatum Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract), Inulin, Mixed Tocopherols with Citric Acid (a natural preservative), Rosemary Extract, Freeze Dried Turkey, Freeze Dried Turkey Liver, Freeze Dried Turkey Heart, Freeze Dried Ground Turkey Bone

As you can see, sweet potatoes and potatoes are not in the list. I have been feeding Linus this formula for about a month now and the infection has not come back to his ear and he's off all ear and allergy medication. He doesn't smell anymore at all and I barely ever have to watch his bedding. The yeast growth is much, much better than before.

I wanted to share my experience since our situations were so similar but a lot of finding the right food is trial and error. Good luck!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi Brandi! My Linus had a very similar problem - in fact, he was eating Royal Canin and suffering from constant ear infections due to yeast and bacteria - I know your pain! I have never tried Fromm but it is an excellent food. I also wanted to share my experience to see if it might help. Because of the ear infections, I changed Linus to a grain free food, the first of which was Taste of the Wild. He did better on it but he was still growing a TON of yeast in his wrinkles and ears. Then, I was made aware of a possible link between sweet potatoes (a main ingredient in most grain free foods) and yeast growth. So I began my search for a food that was grain free and didn't have potatoes as a main ingredient. That narrowed the search down quite a bit and, with the help of this site, I tried Nature's Variety Instinct Grain Free formula. It comes in Turkey and Duck, Salmon, Chicken and Rabbit formulas, all of which are interchangeable. The ingredients for the Turkey and Duck formula are listed below:

Duck Meal, Turkey Meal, Salmon Meal, Tapioca, Canola Oil, Tomato Pomace, Pumpkinseeds, Herring Meal, Sun-Cured Alfalfa Meal, Montmorillonite Clay, Natural Flavor, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Carotene, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Potassium Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide), Sea Salt, Dried Kelp, Peas, Cranberries, Blueberries, Direct-Fed Microorganisms (Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Yeast Culture, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract, Dried Trichoderma Longibrachiatum Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract), Inulin, Mixed Tocopherols with Citric Acid (a natural preservative), Rosemary Extract, Freeze Dried Turkey, Freeze Dried Turkey Liver, Freeze Dried Turkey Heart, Freeze Dried Ground Turkey Bone

As you can see, sweet potatoes and potatoes are not in the list. I have been feeding Linus this formula for about a month now and the infection has not come back to his ear and he's off all ear and allergy medication. He doesn't smell anymore at all and I barely ever have to watch his bedding. The yeast growth is much, much better than before.

I wanted to share my experience since our situations were so similar but a lot of finding the right food is trial and error. Good luck!

I too now feed Nature's Variety to two of my dogs and switching the others right now. I got the Salmon formula and Rabbit formula from Natures Variety- and you can switch between protiens. I am hearing sticking with the same protein can actually develop an allergy to it in some cases. So switching food is good.

OP
K

Kginqt13

Sep 18, 2010
Plainfield, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Porky
Thank you for all the great answers.

Today I did a search for the Fromm dog food vendors in my area and unfortuantly there are not any close by. So I was wondering I heard Wellness is a good brand. Is this true? Or do you think that Blue Buffalo is better?

I went to Petco and saw that they have a brand called Natural Balance its grain free. Do you think that that is something that might be good?

Sorry so many questions I have never switched her dog food and I want to make a good choice, even though I know that I may have to change it again and again before I find the right fit for Porky.

Thanks again
Brandi

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I havent used any of those brands but wellness is supposed to be good also. As for the fromm or any other food that isnt in your area, you can get it locally I am sure. I also thought fromm wasnt in my area, or it isnt I should say. But the distributor who ships it also ships other foods to local stores and if you could talk to them you may be able to find it. [MENTION=4]Lindathedogsmaid[/MENTION] knows all of this and can help you get in touch with who you would need to find it closer, she has helped most of us I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
You can also research different brands, like Wellness and Blue Buffalo, by looking at the Food Ratings section of the site here.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson

I'm going to have to try this stuff. Samson has an ear infection that keeps coming back. Obivously the medicine is not working so I guess I better try a new approach. Geez I just ordered a bag of Fromm, haven't even picked up from the store yet. Going to have to finish that bag first :(

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm going to have to try this stuff. Samson has an ear infection that keeps coming back. Obivously the medicine is not working so I guess I better try a new approach. Geez I just ordered a bag of Fromm, haven't even picked up from the store yet. Going to have to finish that bag first :(

I am trying this right now, and the results seem the same from Fromm, so it's good stuff..... not sure if it's helping with yeast yet because mine don't really have too much yeast issues.

Also, the switch between foods does not seem to effect them going from Fromm to Nature's Variety. Good food to good food is good results I guess. :)

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I am trying this right now, and the results seem the same from Fromm, so it's good stuff..... not sure if it's helping with yeast yet because mine don't really have too much yeast issues.

Also, the switch between foods does not seem to effect them going from Fromm to Nature's Variety. Good food to good food is good results I guess. :)

Sam isn't yeasty in general. His allergies flare up so he will start licking his paws alot at certain times of the year and then they will look yeasty but it goes away after his allergies calm down. He's not yeasty anywhere else. It's just these ear infections, on and off since May. The vet said it was yeast and bacteria. It started soon after his surgery in April so I wonder if being hospitalized and wearing that cone caused it and it is just been really tough to get rid of???? I don't know to do anymore. I was hoping if the food change helped Linus with his ear infections maybe it would help Sam :(

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Thank you for all the great answers.

Today I did a search for the Fromm dog food vendors in my area and unfortuantly there are not any close by. So I was wondering I heard Wellness is a good brand. Is this true? Or do you think that Blue Buffalo is better?

I went to Petco and saw that they have a brand called Natural Balance its grain free. Do you think that that is something that might be good?

Sorry so many questions I have never switched her dog food and I want to make a good choice, even though I know that I may have to change it again and again before I find the right fit for Porky.

Thanks again
Brandi

I have only just recently switched Maggie to Fromm Salmon n Veg and am very pleased with it. Our nearest stockist would be a 20mile round trip and they only sold the 5lb bag for almost $20. Yesterday we got our first shipment for the same food from www.petflow.com. The shipping is a flat fee of $4.95, so I ordered the 30lb bag for approx $58 including shipping. It's saving me a huge amount of money, and also I have the convenience of having it shipped to my door! You do have to set up an automatic order, so I've chosen to have a bag sent out to me every 11 weeks and I can change that if I need to.

Hope that helps!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.