Fromm Dog food question??

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Sam isn't yeasty in general. His allergies flare up so he will start licking his paws alot at certain times of the year and then they will look yeasty but it goes away after his allergies calm down. He's not yeasty anywhere else. It's just these ear infections, on and off since May. The vet said it was yeast and bacteria. It started soon after his surgery in April so I wonder if being hospitalized and wearing that cone caused it and it is just been really tough to get rid of???? I don't know to do anymore. I was hoping if the food change helped Linus with his ear infections maybe it would help Sam :(

[MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION] This is very similar to Linus' story - he developed a raging ear infection after we lost Bentley in June and was being treated for bacteria and yeast - over and over and over again. The yeast/allergy flare ups can coincide with stressful times (surgery, loss of a family member) and become more difficult to treat - just like when people are stressed. He was on Remicin, Baytril, Clavamox, Predisone, antibacterial/yeast washes - and more! We tried everything to clear it up but he finally got rid of it and off the ear/allergy meds when we get him off the potato based grain free foods. We still wash his ears regular and keep watch on it but things are so much better now. So Nature's Variety Instinct recipes might really be worth a try for you!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
[MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION] This is very similar to Linus' story - he developed a raging ear infection after we lost Bentley in June and was being treated for bacteria and yeast - over and over and over again. The yeast/allergy flare ups can coincide with stressful times (surgery, loss of a family member) and become more difficult to treat - just like when people are stressed. He was on Remicin, Baytril, Clavamox, Predisone, antibacterial/yeast washes - and more! We tried everything to clear it up but he finally got rid of it and off the ear/allergy meds when we get him off the potato based grain free foods. We still wash his ears regular and keep watch on it but things are so much better now. So Nature's Variety Instinct recipes might really be worth a try for you!

Thank you [MENTION=860]jillh10[/MENTION]! That will definitely be the next food I buy :) What formula are you feeding?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thank you [MENTION=860]jillh10[/MENTION]! That will definitely be the next food I buy :) What formula are you feeding?

[MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION] I am feeding the turkey and duck formula, but I am will to try them all. They also make accompanying grain free treats that the boys seem to really like.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Thank you for all the great answers.

Today I did a search for the Fromm dog food vendors in my area and unfortuantly there are not any close by. So I was wondering I heard Wellness is a good brand. Is this true? Or do you think that Blue Buffalo is better?

I went to Petco and saw that they have a brand called Natural Balance its grain free. Do you think that that is something that might be good?

Sorry so many questions I have never switched her dog food and I want to make a good choice, even though I know that I may have to change it again and again before I find the right fit for Porky.

Thanks again
Brandi

I just switched my girls from Natural Balance. The company is having troubles with recalls and I have been informed by two reliable sources that they cook their foods at too high of temp, so all nutrition is cooked out! I just switched them to Fromm's grain free surf and turf. Bella who has "poop" issues has been maintained very well. Another good food that is highly recommended is Orijen's. I have a good friend who runs a raw food company and he even said if you are going to feed Kibble, both Orijen's and Fromm's is a good choice.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If you register at Nature's Variety, they send coupons for free dog food too!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], thanks for the info about signing up for Natures Variety coupons, I am having very good luck with the Salmon formula with Vegas. Every little bit helps

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I am feeding the turkey and duck formula, but I am will to try them all. They also make accompanying grain free treats that the boys seem to really like.

[MENTION=860]jillh10[/MENTION] Hows Linus doing on the Natures Variety? It's been a while so I am wondering how things are now, if he has had anymore ear infections, etc. I got a bag of natures variety, getting ready to start switching over :)

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Hi [MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION] - Linus is still ear infection and itchy free since we started him on the Nature's Variety Instinct Grain Free. We've tried all the varieties now (just opened the bag of salmon) and he seems to do well on each of them so I think it's worth a try for Samson.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Hi [MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION] - Linus is still ear infection and itchy free since we started him on the Nature's Variety Instinct Grain Free. We've tried all the varieties now (just opened the bag of salmon) and he seems to do well on each of them so I think it's worth a try for Samson.

Great to hear! Yeah I have a new bag of the salmon, just got to finish a little more of the Fromm we have left before we start the transition. It really sounded like Sam and Linus were going through the same stuff so I am hoping this works for Sam as well as it has Linus. So happy to hear Linus hasn't had any more ear infections because I know you guys were having a tough time with it.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Check your feed stores, mine carries all the great brands of food and will order certain flavors if I need it. I have Bella on Fromm's grain free surf and turf, this past week I went to purchase and received a grain-free small bag of Beef! It is a new flavor. I have had trouble with Abby and yeast and allergies and I use the Surf and Turf and fish oil supplement, she still has trouble. So we stopped the fish oil and she got a little better, then I thought Seafood allergy? So I put her on the Beef and in 24 hours, her bald hot spots are filling in already, no oozing and scratching. I hope this is the answer!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Good news too, Carolina Pet Pantry is getting info on carrying Fromm for us!! We have yet to find out about pricing but if you get two 30lb bags the shipping is FREE!!! I will keep you all updated.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I started Vegas on the Nature's Variety grain/gluten free Salmon about two months ago, he did a complete turn around as far as smelling and yeast, (I switched him form Iams Probiotics :eek:) the next bag I bought was the Nature's Variety Chicken, he went back to not so yeasty but smelly, yesterday I got his new bag and went back to the Salmon. I am hoping to start seeing... or should I say NOT smelling him... like I did with the chicken formula.

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
Good news too, Carolina Pet Pantry is getting info on carrying Fromm for us!! We have yet to find out about pricing but if you get two 30lb bags the shipping is FREE!!! I will keep you all updated.

Ah good news... I already have Fromm delivered, and it would be great to help out Carolina Pet Pantry at the same time.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I started Vegas on the Nature's Variety grain/gluten free Salmon about two months ago, he did a complete turn around as far as smelling and yeast, (I switched him form Iams Probiotics :eek:) the next bag I bought was the Nature's Variety Chicken, he went back to not so yeasty but smelly, yesterday I got his new bag and went back to the Salmon. I am hoping to start seeing... or should I say NOT smelling him... like I did with the chicken formula.

Huh, it's crazy how some proteins are so much better than others for certain dogs. I couldn't tell a difference so far with any of the proteins except for maybe the rabbit, which I think made Linus a little yeasty in the face but some of that is also from playing with a certain little brother of his...we just cracked open the Salmon bag so I hope it goes well!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Huh, it's crazy how some proteins are so much better than others for certain dogs. I couldn't tell a difference so far with any of the proteins except for maybe the rabbit, which I think made Linus a little yeasty in the face but some of that is also from playing with a certain little brother of his...we just cracked open the Salmon bag so I hope it goes well!

It is funny, Jesse and Tidus got yeasty with just a few bowls of the rabbit, so bad I took them off it right away...... but Yuna on the other hand had never looked more perfect then when on the rabbit formula. You can see her eyes are bright and clear, and not a LICK of tear staining, I barely had to wash her face! Only like once a week, unless she got in the dirt or something:

IMG_3083.jpg

IMG_3070.jpg

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online