Thread: Bulldog with food issue?

Bulldog Vet in Training Lauren31287's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Default Bulldog with food issue?

So Winston is going to be 2 in a couple of months and I never thought I would have an issue with him eating! I don't know what to do anymore! He used to eat twice a day breakfast time & dinner time, 2 cups-Natures Variety LID Lamb. About a month ago he started refusing to eat his kibble plain, I added some water to it that worked for a while but then he stopped that too. I figured it was the flavor maybe so I switched him to LID Turkey. He ate that for 2 days and started refusing to eat it again. He had a reaction to carrots so he can't have food with them so that limits us greatly! I am trying not to mix anything into his food becuase his allergies are acting up really bad lately. I am hoping to get him an allergy test next month I just have to save up the money first. So here is my question has anyone else gone through this? Is he just not hungry? He will usually end up eating at dinner but is it ok for him to eat once a day? I don't him to be hungry but I think he is being stubborn?? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks, I hope everyone enjoyed their holidays!!

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bulldog with food issue?

No experience with that at all. If he is eating at some point during the day, I wouldn't worry a bunch. Is he urinating and passing the food? If that is okay, again I wouldn't worry too much. He may just not be hungry.

My skin kids are polar opposites, one eats everything, one eats like a bird. My pediatrician told me NOT to worry, he will eat when he is hungry and that over-eating is a learned trait.

Always with me

Real Name
    Lauren
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

He is eating at least once a day, drinking water, and going to the bathroom fine! Your probably right he just may not be hungry! I just worry about him all the time LOL!

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

My Usko is the pickiest little bugger I've ever met and he is driving me nuts sometimes. When he was on kibble he sometimes ate once in three days, so he must of been hungry in between. No he eats better on raw, but still he can go a day or two without eating. If he is very allergic you could try simple home cooking or raw.

Real Name
    Adam & Jen
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

My Winston started being super picky a while ago. I ended up changing his food because I thought he was bored of it...he's doing the same thing still. I feel like I need to check the bowl to make sure he's eating at least half of his food. I shred carrots, cheese, use yogurt and cottage cheese to spice things up for the time being. I have been reading a lot about raw on this site and purchased a book - seems like raw is the way to go.
    Good luck with your picky bully!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

My boy eats everything, but occasionally if I have any left over from a meal, I will add a couple of spoons of gravy on his kibble. You'd think it was the best stuff ever! I suggest trying something extra yummy to see if he is just being stubborn because he doesn't like the food or if he is just truly not hungry. This should at least indicate what's going on. If he doesn't like the food, then I also would consider trying raw, especially since his allergies limit his food choices. Good Luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Real Name
    Lauren
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Home cooking or raw I think its going to be the next step! I just really want to get him allergy tested first if I decide to go with the home cooking so I do not give him something hes allergic too. He used to come running to his bowl and gobble it all up not so much anymore! Thank you so much for your advice, my husband said he is just like his momma! I am a pretty picky eater myself lol!

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

well he could just not be hungry but he could just be tired of that brand of food. allergies could make him nor feel like eating. easy thing to do is gees him a bland diet of beef n rice or chicken n rice n if he eats then he just don't want his food anymore. I have a Boston like that. keep us updated. oh yea raw or home cooking are good ways to go

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cowsmom View Post
    well he could just not be hungry but he could just be tired of that brand of food. allergies could make him nor feel like eating. easy thing to do is gees him a bland diet of beef n rice or chicken n rice n if he eats then he just don't want his food anymore. I have a Boston like that. keep us updated. oh yea raw or home cooking are good ways to go

Great advice...!

Real Name
    Lauren
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Thank you all so much!! We did try the bland diet over the weekend and he ate that no problem! I also went back to the lamb flavor kibble last night and he ate that, so he is just being picky! I will try the lamb for a while and see what happens if not then it's onto home cooking! Thanks again! : )

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Sounds as if you need to search for another type of kibble or go for the home cooking. I've noticed that home-cooked is becoming increasingly popular!!

Real Name
    Lauren
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

So last night I tried mixing a scrambled egg into Winston's kibble and he ate it!! So here is my next question what are some good things I can try to mix in with his kibble that are not bad for him so he will eat it??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads