Help Needed! Bulldog with food issue?

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
So Winston is going to be 2 in a couple of months and I never thought I would have an issue with him eating! I don't know what to do anymore! He used to eat twice a day breakfast time & dinner time, 2 cups-Natures Variety LID Lamb. About a month ago he started refusing to eat his kibble plain, I added some water to it that worked for a while but then he stopped that too. I figured it was the flavor maybe so I switched him to LID Turkey. He ate that for 2 days and started refusing to eat it again. He had a reaction to carrots so he can't have food with them so that limits us greatly! I am trying not to mix anything into his food becuase his allergies are acting up really bad lately. I am hoping to get him an allergy test next month I just have to save up the money first. So here is my question has anyone else gone through this? Is he just not hungry? He will usually end up eating at dinner but is it ok for him to eat once a day? I don't him to be hungry but I think he is being stubborn?? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks, I hope everyone enjoyed their holidays!!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
No experience with that at all. If he is eating at some point during the day, I wouldn't worry a bunch. Is he urinating and passing the food? If that is okay, again I wouldn't worry too much. He may just not be hungry.

My skin kids are polar opposites, one eats everything, one eats like a bird. My pediatrician told me NOT to worry, he will eat when he is hungry and that over-eating is a learned trait.

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
He is eating at least once a day, drinking water, and going to the bathroom fine! Your probably right he just may not be hungry! I just worry about him all the time LOL!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
My Usko is the pickiest little bugger I've ever met and he is driving me nuts sometimes. When he was on kibble he sometimes ate once in three days, so he must of been hungry in between. No he eats better on raw, but still he can go a day or two without eating. If he is very allergic you could try simple home cooking or raw.

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
[SUP]My Winston started being super picky a while ago. I ended up changing his food because I thought he was bored of it...he's doing the same thing still. I feel like I need to check the bowl to make sure he's eating at least half of his food. I shred carrots, cheese, use yogurt and cottage cheese to spice things up for the time being. I have been reading a lot about raw on this site and purchased a book - seems like raw is the way to go.
Good luck with your picky bully!
[/SUP]

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My boy eats everything, but occasionally if I have any left over from a meal, I will add a couple of spoons of gravy on his kibble. You'd think it was the best stuff ever! I suggest trying something extra yummy to see if he is just being stubborn because he doesn't like the food or if he is just truly not hungry. This should at least indicate what's going on. If he doesn't like the food, then I also would consider trying raw, especially since his allergies limit his food choices. Good Luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Home cooking or raw I think its going to be the next step! I just really want to get him allergy tested first if I decide to go with the home cooking so I do not give him something hes allergic too. He used to come running to his bowl and gobble it all up not so much anymore! Thank you so much for your advice, my husband said he is just like his momma! I am a pretty picky eater myself lol!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well he could just not be hungry but he could just be tired of that brand of food. allergies could make him nor feel like eating. easy thing to do is gees him a bland diet of beef n rice or chicken n rice n if he eats then he just don't want his food anymore. I have a Boston like that. keep us updated. oh yea raw or home cooking are good ways to go

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
well he could just not be hungry but he could just be tired of that brand of food. allergies could make him nor feel like eating. easy thing to do is gees him a bland diet of beef n rice or chicken n rice n if he eats then he just don't want his food anymore. I have a Boston like that. keep us updated. oh yea raw or home cooking are good ways to go

Great advice...!

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thank you all so much!! We did try the bland diet over the weekend and he ate that no problem! I also went back to the lamb flavor kibble last night and he ate that, so he is just being picky! I will try the lamb for a while and see what happens if not then it's onto home cooking! Thanks again! : )

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Sounds as if you need to search for another type of kibble or go for the home cooking. I've noticed that home-cooked is becoming increasingly popular!!

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
So last night I tried mixing a scrambled egg into Winston's kibble and he ate it!! So here is my next question what are some good things I can try to mix in with his kibble that are not bad for him so he will eat it??

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
So last night I tried mixing a scrambled egg into Winston's kibble and he ate it!! So here is my next question what are some good things I can try to mix in with his kibble that are not bad for him so he will eat it??

short answer? almost anything that you have in the fridge :)

To keep him healthy I would say nothing fried or greasy. Try to limit the amount of fat. No onions. Moderate amounts of garlic are actually beneficial.

My Otis and lately Roxy too are a very picky eaters. He will eat something as if he is starved one day and the next he will turn his nose up at it. I've taken to mixing all kinds of things in with their meals. This morning he had a bowl of chicken soup. Last night I threw some meatballs and gravy on top of his kibble (I think the rest of the world calls it tomato sauce?)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
All dogs usually like tripe and it has a lot of natural enzymes that kibble does not.

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
short answer? almost anything that you have in the fridge :)

To keep him healthy I would say nothing fried or greasy. Try to limit the amount of fat. No onions. Moderate amounts of garlic are actually beneficial.

My Otis and lately Roxy too are a very picky eaters. He will eat something as if he is starved one day and the next he will turn his nose up at it. I've taken to mixing all kinds of things in with their meals. This morning he had a bowl of chicken soup. Last night I threw some meatballs and gravy on top of his kibble (I think the rest of the world calls it tomato sauce?)

Thank you! :) This is EXACTLY what Winston does. He will act like he is in love with something one day example the egg then the next day when I try to give it to him again he looks at me like, umm I had this yesterday and pushes the bowl away lol!! Spoiled little bulldogs!! :heart:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online