since it's pumpkin season, anyone have recommendations on how to prepare a real one for our bully?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
As you all know, it's almost Halloween, ie. jack-o-lanterns!

I'm assuming it's ok to feed our wonderful bullies home-made pumpkin puree, cubes, etc. Does anyone know how to prepare them? I can't seem to find canned pumpkins here in Toronto.

bbstubbles

Jan 31, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Olaf & Ivana
oh really? I just was out shopping and notcied it is now on the shelf! Not sure about the real thing and how to prep it?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If I am not mistaken no leaves or stems! Not sure about the shell, but I know the seeds are great for them if you can grind em up!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I don't know a lick about using pumpkin (other than a spoonful to stop the poops in dogs) but I will remind everyone, look for canned pumpkin, not the pumpkin filling! Two very different things is VERY similar cans!

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
I just buy the canned pumpkin! It's much easier. I stock up this time of year and then I have it for the rest of the year. It's great and does so many different things for your dogs.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Yes the canned is now FINALLY in stock here in california also, YAY! But I know we used to give the scrapings of the fresh pumpkin to our dogs (as we carved the pumpkin) and they LOVED them. Not sure how to prepare and this was also back before internet and knowlege so I am not sure how good it was for them being uncooked. I will google it and find out cuz I was thinking the same thing.

Here is what I found on pumpkin seeds, who knew?!?!

Feeding your dog freshly ground pumpkin seeds does not only help to eliminate intestinal parasites, including tapeworms and roundworms, it can also provide your pet with a host of other health benefits, including improved urine flow, urinary tract health, a decrease in hormonal deficiencies and a boost in nutrients like protein, amino acids, fiber, iron, copper, phosphorus and magnesium. The seeds are also high in calcium, zinc, potassium, folic acid and niacin--all important nutrients to your dog's overall good health.

Read more: How Do Pumpkin Seeds Kill Dog Tapeworms? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5345073_do-seeds-kill-dog-tapeworms.html#ixzz11UWxH1Vi

I also found this for preparing the pumpkin if you want but found that fresh is fine also. Says to pretty much cook like any squash...

After scooping the seeds and strings -all the guts

I slice the pumpkin in half -place it on a baking sheet (skin up) and fill the pan w/enough water to cover the entire surface and bake at 350 for about 45 minute. Then I scoop the flesh out of the skin and mash it -you could puree it in a blender or food processor. My dogs don't care if its lumpy tho.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh and I have to add that most sites I found said the seeds turn rancid fast so roast them and they are good for about a month unless you freeze them, then maybe up to 6 months they are good.

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Thanks all! I'm not much into cooking ... love to try new foods but just don't have the motivation to cook :whistle: ... but I'll try anything that's good for Stiggy.

bulldogcrazytime

Apr 23, 2010
My girls love pumpkin and it is great for their digestion so I try to keep it on hand (especially after the pumpkin shortage this last year!) With canned pumpkin I freeze it into ice cube trays and then put the individual cubes into a freezer bag so I can just take them out as needed and with fresh I just scoop all the guts out (not sure what that is really called) bake it at 350 until it is soft and then mash it up. The fresh pumpkin doesn't freeze as well just because I don't puree it as much but if I can get it I think fresh is better. I also like to make little pumpkin cookies for them as treats when I have time.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.