Yes the canned is now FINALLY in stock here in california also, YAY! But I know we used to give the scrapings of the fresh pumpkin to our dogs (as we carved the pumpkin) and they LOVED them. Not sure how to prepare and this was also back before internet and knowlege so I am not sure how good it was for them being uncooked. I will google it and find out cuz I was thinking the same thing.
Here is what I found on pumpkin seeds, who knew?!?!
Feeding your dog freshly ground pumpkin seeds does not only help to eliminate intestinal parasites, including tapeworms and roundworms, it can also provide your pet with a host of other health benefits, including improved urine flow, urinary tract health, a decrease in hormonal deficiencies and a boost in nutrients like protein, amino acids, fiber, iron, copper, phosphorus and magnesium. The seeds are also high in calcium, zinc, potassium, folic acid and niacin--all important nutrients to your dog's overall good health.
Read more: How Do Pumpkin Seeds Kill Dog Tapeworms? | eHow.com
http://www.ehow.com/about_5345073_do-seeds-kill-dog-tapeworms.html#ixzz11UWxH1Vi
I also found this for preparing the pumpkin if you want but found that fresh is fine also. Says to pretty much cook like any squash...
After scooping the seeds and strings -all the guts
I slice the pumpkin in half -place it on a baking sheet (skin up) and fill the pan w/enough water to cover the entire surface and bake at 350 for about 45 minute. Then I scoop the flesh out of the skin and mash it -you could puree it in a blender or food processor. My dogs don't care if its lumpy tho.