General Question taste of wild question

prendatram

Nov 24, 2012
Rolla, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
So I got dozer on avoderm currently it is the puppy type(got a good deal on it), but his farts seem worse then when. I got him and he was on beneful. Also still having lose stools.

Question is that does totw Pacific type with salmon in it also contain the oil from the salmon.

It doesn't say on ingredients but it has salmon in it so I would imagine it has some trace elements of the oil.
I wanted to put Dozer on Grizzly oil but If I could get it in his food that be great.

Anyone know by chance

Thanks Sean and Dozer

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
I use TOTW Pacific Stream, the one with salmon. It works very well for my dogs and was the only food I found that my super allergic Zelda (RIP) could eat and not get lots of allergy issues.I don't know about the salmon oil thing though. Some here say the processing the food negates the salmon oil benefits, I don't know. In any case, I'd change the food and see how Dozier does with that change, it will take a couple of months to be sure it's done what you'd hoped, before adding any other changes to his diet. If you don't do the changes one at a time you won't know which had the desired effect or caused the new problem.

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
Okay, so gas aside. The loose stools bother me, he is a puppy and that can be for a variety of reasons aside from the brand you are feeding him. One of the most common reasons for loose stools in puppies on here is typically the amount of food fed, how much and how many times a day are you feeding him? It seems the second most common for puppies, is actual medical issues (Giaradia, worms, etc) that can be resolved by a trip to the vets. Then you can look at food.

As far as my two cents on food, I am cheap. I hate spending money. For Gunny, I bite the bullet and get the pricy food. I found what works and I am sticking with it. He is on Fromm Beef Friattia. Tried the Fromm Surf and Turf, got tear stains, back to Beef. I do the Grizzly Oil in his food, works great.

OP
P

prendatram

Nov 24, 2012
Rolla, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I knew I forgot to mention something. it was late at night but I rescued Dozer they said he was about 3.5-4 years of age. I did recently just deworm him but that was two weeks ago and I also am about through the 30 pound bag of food. I figured his stool would firm up a bit. I use pumpkin sometimes and it works I just thought it was an upset stomach not this constant loseness. Also I got the puppy food for him because he is getting old and sometimes seemed to have a hard time with the bigger chunks of the cheaper stuff he was on. SOOOOO I dont know.and they have taste of the wild at my local feed store. and my parents just put our other two (three-legged) siberian huskies on it and they seemed to love it. Let me know and thanks for the replies

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
TOTW is smaller than many of the chunk foods. Give it a try. The price is comparatively good too.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I would change over his food! He must be allergic to something in the food. I would try something without chicken.

OP
P

prendatram

Nov 24, 2012
Rolla, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
OK I will gradually make the switch I put alittle of my parents totw(bison) in his dish this morning. I dont see any in the bowl so must of been good. Lol. Well thanks for the help community. and one last quesstion

I see that only two types of totw are on the food rating list. are all of the totw in the 6star category and only those 2 were tested or how does that work.

thanks again

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
the taste of the wild are all on the 4 star food list so not sure where you are seeing this. they were downgraded due to the many recalls they have had including one from just last year for salmonella. i would say the salmon one would maybe have some salmon oil in it but if they do ok on it then i would see about giving them outside salmon oil as it would be questionable as to how much would actually be in the food.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I knew I forgot to mention something. it was late at night but I rescued Dozer they said he was about 3.5-4 years of age. I did recently just deworm him but that was two weeks ago and I also am about through the 30 pound bag of food. I figured his stool would firm up a bit. I use pumpkin sometimes and it works I just thought it was an upset stomach not this constant loseness. Also I got the puppy food for him because he is getting old and sometimes seemed to have a hard time with the bigger chunks of the cheaper stuff he was on. SOOOOO I dont know.and they have taste of the wild at my local feed store. and my parents just put our other two (three-legged) siberian huskies on it and they seemed to love it. Let me know and thanks for the replies

Hi :hiii: I would just like to add one thing about the puppy food. It's higher in calories and fat and protein, this could blow you dog up to a size XXL Lots of grain free foods are small in size, in fact most of them are. I'm thinking if he is getting old he should definitely be on an adult food program. We don't want his joints or anything else growing. Puppy food also has calcium in it. Small adult food kibble brands that I have found are Fromm all stages, Nutrisca, California Natural, Avoderm, Wellness, just to name a few, the kibble bag will generally tell you the size or picture of actual kibble. Let us know what you decide and always keep that plain canned pumpkin on hand, 1 tbls at one meal per day.

OP
P

prendatram

Nov 24, 2012
Rolla, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Ok thanks for knowledge but is the food rating on this website outdated then. Cause it says TOTW is a six star. If there is an updated one could soneone link it for me

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
The adult, grain free Avoderm eliminated Brutus's (also an older adoptee) gas
and nasty, constant eye goopiness. He had thin hair w/bald spots and sores...
cleared all that up! Having said all that, he seems to have become yeasty to the
Red Meat w/Potato he's been on (was allergic to their salmon, lamb, trout) and
Avoderm did away w/their 3o lb bag and now only offers in lgest form, 22 lbs and
went UP on it. So I'm going to try TOTW's Pacifica Stream w/Salmon...will let you
know how goes.

When you transition, it must be slowly and after transition can take up to 2 months
to evaluate if good or bad for your pet. It's frustrating and takes time...Why it's a
PITA when having food allergies to find the right food...also expensive (1/2 bags of
rejected food). Good luck!

OP
P

prendatram

Nov 24, 2012
Rolla, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
thats so weird whatever one I pulled up on my phone is outdated then. I can still pull it up. Whatever thanks for updated one. and now Im not sure if I should go with the adult form of Avoderm or try ToTW. So many options. I mean I can get ToTW locally, but Avo is higher on the rating. AHHHHH choices choices...

OP
P

prendatram

Nov 24, 2012
Rolla, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
ALSO is the only reason ToTW got dropped to four star was cause of the recalls and IF so how has then been lately?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.