General Question How many times a day do you feed?

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Chunk is 5 months and we just switched him to twice a day, and we were told to start putting him on adult food as soon as we finish this bag. Apperently he is gowing too fast for his bones- he had been gaining 2-3 lbs a week! Already at 33 lbs... is this abnormal?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I feed twice a day. I'm getting a new puppy in two weeks and planning to feed him 4 times a day until 3 months old, 3 times a day until 6 months and 2 times a day from there.

matzwd

Nov 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Aunt Clara
Free-feeders here. We actually have three fur kids who all free feed from the same bowl with no bickering. As long as it continues to work for them, well keep doing it.

Sent via Tapatalk on my S3

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon eats twice a day on weekends and once during the week. We can give him breakfast during the week but he normally still isn't awake enough to eat and if we leave it for him he won't eat it because he refuses to eat alone.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Chunk is 5 months and we just switched him to twice a day, and we were told to start putting him on adult food as soon as we finish this bag. Apperently he is gowing too fast for his bones- he had been gaining 2-3 lbs a week! Already at 33 lbs... is this abnormal?

Bacon grew really fast like that for awhile then he slowed down and now is filling out and changing but not gaining weight he is just changing shape.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Once a day here.

Dogs require long breaks between meals so that their digestive tract can break down food more efficiently emptying out the digestive tract as much as possible before more food is consumed. This is their natural design. Humans, on the other hand, are hunter/gatherer types with a digestive system designed for "gathering" - much smaller meals more often.

So, adult dogs usually gets fed once or twice a day. Bullie and Gizmo can handle twice a day meals. Angus can't. His poop gets big and soft if he gets less than ~24 hours between meals. So, I'm on a once a day schedule with a handful of their kibbles for treat/reward throughout the day.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie

I feed my adults once a day and Zamboni twice. He just turned 6 months and weighs 45 pounds or so. He gets about 3 cups a day between the 2 feedings. TS - Zamboni gained over 10 pounds per week during his growth spurt so for us 2 to 3 pounds a week is standing still. lol He's gonna be a big one.

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
I must admit we have had Kain on 1 cup (slightly less) 3 times a day and he's now over a year old and in 'fantastic' shape, we kinda wish he was lazy as he is way more ambitious than we thought we were getting into lol.

With that being said I'm thinking I should be going to twice a day now, Poor guy won't know what's happeing if he can't eat on his routine 12pm dinnertime.

I'm assuming 7am and 6pm will work ok for a schedule, and with FROMM (variety of types) 30-50lbs would be 3 cups like I'm feeding now so 1 1/2 each feeding from here on out.

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
2X daily... a cup of dry in the morning, then a cup of wet in the evening, for each... then Moe may steal some of his sister's if she doesn't finish all of hers

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
3x/ day until Miss Tallulah was about 7 months, now 2x/day @8:30 am and 6:30 pm, but treats as needed/ necessary. Vet said often dogs will vomit bile from having an empty stomach if they only eat once a day so he suggested it is a little easier on their digestive system to do at least 2 meals / day if it is at all possible. Also eating more frequently and more slowly apparently cuts down on that famous Bully gas. :yes:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
sarah is 6 years old and ive been feeding her 2 times a day since ive had her at 1 year old

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
I feed twice a day, I just don't think I could feed them only one time a day. I know I wouldn't like to eat just once a day so I won't do that to them either.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.