Help Needed! We have a new Bully and she's not eating.

Ellie Jelly Belly

Dec 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Hi there!

Ellie came to us yesterday morning, and weighs in at a very aweful 87 pounds. We brought her straight to the vet to find out what she needs and how we can help her lose the weight. So now, the poor thing has been uprooted from her home into a new one and put on a diet. She's not eating. Any suggestions how to get her to start eating her diet food? Can't be that tasty, I imagine, but I'm afraid to mix anything with it because she seriously needs to lose weight. I've read about Frozen green beans, which I will try... maybe she'll like them. I'm going to talk to my vet about possibly wetting her food with a little bit of fat free low sodium chicken broth..

She had been eating Pedigree adult dry food with wet food mixed in.. I'm sure much more apealing that what we need to feed her, but so not going to help her in the long run. And also, I suspect many many treats and table foods.

Any thoughts to help the poor girl out?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm not sure what to feed a bully on a diet, or which foods are good for this, but veggies and chicken broth, are low calorie for us , so I would think it would be for dogs as well, and it can't hurt, to add it her food, as it may make it more appealing to her. Good luck.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I think the broth is a great idea! I would try a little of that but also remember that when she gets hungry enough she will eat its just the waiting game but its always best to try to get them to eat before it gets to that point. Please let us know how it goes!

OP
Ellie Jelly Belly

Ellie Jelly Belly

Dec 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
I'll keep you posted. I'll try a little broth this evening at dinner and let you know how it goes :)

L

Lucy-licious

She possibly won't eat for a few days...all the stress of the last few days. Keep tempting her though and put plenty of fresh water down. Try not to worry just yet though it took above a week for my Billy to eat properly and I tried every truck in the book. x

OP
Ellie Jelly Belly

Ellie Jelly Belly

Dec 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Thanks Lucy-licious, I know it's a transition, and I'll be patient, It's got to be hard on her with a new home, new food. It's an adjustment for all. Hopefully I can coax her into eating something. She is obviously not going to starve to death anytime soon ;). I imagine that when she gets hungry enough, she'll eat something. She is really a doll. I wish you all could see her walk... LOL

M

mabel lou

When I got my rescue Thelm, did the same thing to her and straight to the vet we went and got her all checked out and my vet said Thelm will eat when Thelm wants to eat and so 3 days of straight canned food went by and then to the hard food and omg I thought I was going to watch her pass out or something and she said Thelm will eat when Thelm wants because I did every trick in the book and I was freaking out because I knew she wouldn't eat or drink water too. The canned food held water in it the vet said but she only had small amounts and she didn't want to eat nothing but that but I couldn't afford just the canned food so that is where the hard food that she was not wanting to eat came in. So I gave up since my vet wasn't converned then why am I driving myself crazy and then I moved the bowl closer to me where I sit and I turned around and there was Thelm eating it all up. She now is still very bad when it comes to drinking water but she eats the dry food with a crap load of water on it so I know she get plenty of water and food this way. Good luck and I hope things work out for you.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You also need to transition her off her old food slowly. So for now feed her her old food just a little less of it from what they were feeding her. Then slowly add in her new food and take about 7 to 10 days for the transition.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
so how is your baby doing now? eating better? [MENTION=7460]Ellie Jelly Belly[/MENTION]

OP
Ellie Jelly Belly

Ellie Jelly Belly

Dec 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
She is. We spoke to our Vet, and have decided to add some Fat Free low sodium Chicken Broth. She's chowing it down like there is no tomorrow. :) She's doing well, taking her meds and adjusting to her new life and family beautifully. Thank you for the concern!

OP
Ellie Jelly Belly

Ellie Jelly Belly

Dec 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
[MENTION=6198]mabel lou[/MENTION] - It's funny that you say that, because I have to be standing or sitting right next to her, or she will just follow me around and not eat!

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
lola likes to have company when she eats too, someone has to hold that bowl to her face! :)

M

mabel lou

I have come to the conclusion that most rescues lack what it feels like to be loved be that with a pat on the head or a belly rub or a bowl of waterr or just dog food. As overwhelming it may be it is sad that they do not no how to react to normal things that we just do on a normal basis for our animals. They cling to the ones who show them these very unusual things in their little eyes that we do for them. The journey for them is typically longer (at least from what I am seeing from Thelm, but she is learning little bits and pieces of what I am asking from her) and sometimes you find yourself struggling trying to understand what throws them back to uncertainty. Thelm never had anyone who showed her what no potty was all about so it was so typical of her to just stop and pee. Mabel on the other hand understood what no potty was all about. I am seeing how easily one picks up habits from the other. Now on the other hand it doesn't have to be all bad because Thelm is now learning some commands but lol she does have a way of doing it in her own way. As long as she is getting it we are succeeding over here. We have many hurdles to overcome and new hurdles from my girl Mabel, who is going through the same phase of what Thelm is doing when it comes to stopping and peeing. Both are trained and treated equally but I am learning to remember they are both different yet unique in their own ways. I love my girls and with that I know together we can somehow do this together. God bless

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
GOD bless you for rescuing a wonderful bully that so needed your kind, caring & loving heart:heart:

There will be challenges to overcome but together you will do it, patience, understanding and
consistency will pay off soon. She didn't get overweight overnight & she won't lose it overnight.

You will be amazed how soon she will adjust, really, relax, get to know each other & have fun!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.