Help Needed! changing food on 7 week old pups...

Zapien

Oct 30, 2012
Zillah, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Nihya
Everyone,

Good morning to you all. So I was wondering, my 5 puppies are on Purina Pro Plan as well as mom. I've learned that it's not the best of food so I've been doing my research. I had initially planned to switch them to TOTW, but as I've continued my research on EBN, I've seen really good reviews on Earthborn Holistic.

I would like to switch foods on my puppies so they are switched over by the time they go to their new homes, which is about a couple more weeks. My questions are, should I switch now or keep them on Pro Plan and have the new owners switch them. If it's safe to switch over, what are your experiences with TOTW and Earthborn Holistic with puppies. Feel free to add any other food comments.

I have a natural food distributor here locally who carries a lot of the natural wholesome dog foods, but Fromm. I haven't been able to find any Fromm distributor here locally, but from what I've been reading, it looks like there are other natural dog foods that are very well made and cheaper in price. Let me know what you guys pay for you puppies/adult dog food? I'd like this to be a one stop comparison thread. Thank you all in advance.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
I use TOTW for my 4 dogs and have for years. I am fully aware that it is not a favored food around here. Fromms is not readily available for me and has higher protein than I want. My 5 year old started on it at about 2.5 years and boy, did he pop width wise. The 2 year olds have eaten nothing but that since I got them as pups. I literally have never had to take them to the vet for any sicknesses - - they are a Frenchie and a Frenchie / Olde composite. My EB pup, who will be 6 months on Christmas, has never eaten anything but TOTW and the only problem he's shown so far is tear staining. I use Pacific Stream since the Frenchies shouldn't have the higher protein of most of the other flavors.

As to moving them now, if you expect the buyers of the pups to feed them whatever you have been using, you can do it but if they might choose another brand on their own it could be a lot for them to handle going through changing food twice in such a short time frame. Remember is should take a week or more to switch them out. One of the other breeders will have had experience with that.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I tagged a few puppy experienced members

Wrangler

Jul 17, 2012
O H I O
Bulldog(s) Names
Linus
I feed my 18 wk old Blue lamb and oatmeal puppy. He looks great with no tear stains or redness. When I got him he was on Victor beef and rice. He had tear stains. I am also very careful not to give him standard treats as I don't want the red yeasty stains so he gets banana and yogurt cookies from BB.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
This is a tough one. Their digestive systems are very fragile at 7 weeks. You can expect a tremendous amount of gas if you switch now. However, the sooner you switch the better off they will be in the long run. If you are going to do it, do it ASAP. You want them fully switched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree, that is a tough one, but I would get them off their current food ASAP. Once the pups go to their new homes give them enough food for several weeks and explain to them you recommend they stay on that food for at least a month or so before they change them again. We put our pups on FROMM Puppy Gold and you can get it from PetFlow and have it shipped to your home.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I got my pup at just 2 days shy of 8 weeks and immediately started the transition from Eukanuba to Fromms. I did it over a 2 week period with no problems until 2 days ago, but it was my fault- gave him too many new things in the form of supplements and treats at once. My breeder did not want me to switch until 6 months, but I really wanted to get off on the right paw, so after reading so many postive things here, I did the transition slowly and had no problems. Good luck!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I would switch right away! Also tlak to the new owners about the importance of the food choice so that hopefully they will keep the puppies on the same food once they go home.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
if your going to do it i would do it now so they can be transitioned before they go to new owners. they maybe more likely to keep them on it if they are already eating it. ive never used earthborn puppy so dont know but i do know totw manufacture has had many recalls the most recent last year for salmonella but i know of people who use it with no problems. its kinda a personal choice. i know fromm has been good for many.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
If you are going to change do it now and don't forget about (my famous last words) the plain canned pumpkin

You might want to let all the new owners know about the recent switch

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.