General Question trying to find a food for my super shedding bulldog.

Rosie1989

Dec 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Vincent (vinnie)
my partner and i recently adopted a beautiful rescue bulldog who is 1 year old. we have been trying to find a food that suits him, but all our choices from petfood stores have led to a very stinky puppy. we have got the stink under control but he is now shedding like nothing iv ever seen before and have decided to look for some more knowledgable recommendations as i have not had a bulldog before. He is also incredibly hyperactive, so nothing that will make that any worse :) His coat is in great condition and he is always shiney and soft but it falls out constantly. Any advice would be amazing. Thanks
Rosie

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Some bullies shed more than others I have two that shed like crazy year round and the others don't hardly shed any, except the normal twice a year. Some peeps say salmon oil helps, but it did not help my two.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
:hiya: and Welcome to the forum! Glad you joined us! Hope to see some pictures of your little guy! When looking for food its good to go grain free with bulldogs. We had Brutus on lamb/rice he had horrible farts and poops. We switched to Fromm Grain Free and his poops are great, coat is soft, no eye buggers or tearing. All bullies are different so its really trial and error. You can use the link http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/content.php?r=219-Dog-Food-Ratings for the dog food ratings and its a great guide to use when choosing a food :) Let us know if there is anything you need!

Be sure when sswitching food to do it slow. It should take about 2-3 weeks for the transition. You can also add 1tbsp of pumpkin (not pie filling) to the food :)

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Watch the level of protein in his food. Too much can aggravate some bullys activity level. This I learned from one of the best bully breeders in the country.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Watch the level of protein in his food. Too much can aggravate some bullys activity level. This I learned from one of the best bully breeders in the country.

What do you mean aggravate a bully's activity level?

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
makes them more active, crazier than they might be with less. This breeder's dogs are incredibly active under any circumstances (she goes for athletic, working bullys) so for her to say that....

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
In this case, raw food would work as well. Usko hardly sheds at all and he did quite a lot on kibble and he was on kibble only the 7 first months of his life. I've learned that raw food can also sooth behavioral issues.
Dogs don't really need carbs and it would sound more likely that like with kids too much sugar can cause hyperactiveness. Just my 2 cents.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
makes them more active, crazier than they might be with less. This breeder's dogs are incredibly active under any circumstances (she goes for athletic, working bullys) so for her to say that....

Omg. Is there a percentage guide or something??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bulliemama

Oct 26, 2012
Philadelphia
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin 8/20/12, Winston 10/23/03-7/5/12
Omg. Is there a percentage guide or something??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I was told 21-26% is ideal but Fromm is 30% and what I feed. Franklin is a little hyper but he's only 18 weeks so I think that's pretty normal.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.