URGENT!!! Feeding!!!!!!!

Keisha

Dec 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
Ok the breeder was feeding Gus 1/2 cup puppy chow at 7 am & pm well im transitioning him to iams but hes lookin awful skinny, here is some poop info when we first got him it was very dark and hard, now its a lighter color and less defined, and seem generally easier for him to pass, sitting you see no ribs when walking you see the back two ribs. no super bad but if its a problem i would want to correct it before it gets to bad..

On a different Gus note, he loves our 3 year old son!!! its awesome to watch them run and play.. He also weirdly loves our heating vents for our central heat and air. He is quite the chewer and i've ordered him some Nylabones. He has a strange addiction to collecting socks and laying in the sunshine that comes in our french doors.

Other note Dolsay (my pug) eats very little in a day maybe a half of cup of kibbles and bits... or she will eat 1 tub of natures balance, and spins at the baby gate at the top of our stairs to let us know she wants out... Im hoping Gus will pick that up as its awesome to have such a clear indicator!

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
You're not feeding him enough, first of all. also, check out the dog food ratings page. You might want to try something with a bit higher ratings than you've been using. They are a little more expensive but worth in in terms of your dogs health and lower vet biolls. Also, they poop less. I recomend going grain free for the best results. Move your pug over too.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Ok the breeder was feeding Gus 1/2 cup puppy chow at 7 am & pm well im transitioning him to iams but hes lookin awful skinny, here is some poop info when we first got him it was very dark and hard, now its a lighter color and less defined, and seem generally easier for him to pass, sitting you see no ribs when walking you see the back two ribs. no super bad but if its a problem i would want to correct it before it gets to bad..

On a different Gus note, he loves our 3 year old son!!! its awesome to watch them run and play.. He also weirdly loves our heating vents for our central heat and air. He is quite the chewer and i've ordered him some Nylabones. He has a strange addiction to collecting socks and laying in the sunshine that comes in our french doors.

Other note Dolsay (my pug) eats very little in a day maybe a half of cup of kibbles and bits... or she will eat 1 tub of natures balance, and spins at the baby gate at the top of our stairs to let us know she wants out... Im hoping Gus will pick that up as its awesome to have such a clear indicator!

Hi Keisha , I don't believe I'v had the pleasure of welcoming you to the site :welcome3: linwhite it right, you should feed more, 1/2 cup three times a day, or 3/4 cup twice a day. He should be getting 1-1/2 cups a day. Grain free food will be digested more fully, when doing the switch we use plain canned pumpkin, 1 tablespoon at just 1 meal a day. this will firm up the stool. Lots of bully's don't do well allergy wise with a chicken kibble, most do well on Fromm brand, there's a general consensus around here about Fromm, it is a very good food, next to raw or home made. I purchase my food from Pet Flow and also make home made to mix up in the kibble. My kibble of choice is Nutrisca, it's grain free and potato free, I've pretty much tried them all so far. Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
HI Keisha! I see you have been given great advice...he needs more food and a better rated food would be best! Make sure and always do a slow switch when you change foods..no matter what! Take 10 days to 2 weeks.. Good Luck!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So true, not enough food, a pup under 6 months of age should be fed 3 times a day, and do not restrict water from him. Oh and welcome to the site and we would love to see pics of your baby.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well hello and welcome to the site. you have advice about how much to feed but what to feed is the question. you may want to try some fromm or if you dont want to order petco has blue buffalo wilderness puppy or wellness core puppy now. blue also has a freedom puppy to all are grain free. good luck :2thumbs:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Welcome to the site! You have gotten some great advice :)

Once you get a better food and he is transitioned it will take some time to notice a difference but you will. Hope all goes well :)

OP
K

Keisha

Dec 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
View attachment 33041View attachment 33042

Hmm, I looked at the brands list and 90% of them ive never heard of! LOL! not that that means much, we live in a small small town that only has 1 grocery store, we can go one town over and they have a walmart, and other stores, or we can go 40 minutes away to a bigger city they have some pet stores (petco and petsmart) and we are a family of 4 with only one income and its a walmart income so its isnt spectacular, so what would be the best food for him to be on bearing in mind that i have a pretty strict budget? Our monthly food budget for our family is $300 if that helps give an idea. Dolsay (pug) has been on a 3 food diet for... *thinks* 6 years now. she will eat Iams for a while, then get tired of it and then eats Natural Balance for a while, then gets tired of that, then goes to pedegree for a bit. shes never had any health problems in her long doggie life :D Not saying that would work for Gus thats just what works for her :D

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
I learned quick the key to a healthy bullie starts with the diet (food) You can use Petflow.com and get free shipping! Lots of members order through them :) There are some other brands that are well priced Ill tag [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] she can help

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I would say the food is the most important thing when it comes to owning a bully. I know food can be expensive but you will pay for it 10 fold in vet bills if on crappy food! I hope you find something that works!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Totally agree with all the awesome advice above. My 2 guys were on Royal Canin from the breeder , and I switched them to Fromms Beef Fritata. I feed them 3/4 of a cup 3 times a day until they they were 7 months old, then switched to 1 1/2 cups two times a day. They are 10 months old now and still eating that amount, as well I put salmon oil in their kibble, and apple cider vinegar in their drinking water , and they get pain unsweetened yogurt added to their food 3 times a week, I also give them cut up apples, bananas, and strawberries for treats, and cheese strings.

OP
K

Keisha

Dec 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
Ok im doing my homework! LOL, seriously thou i am... Fromm and Blue seem to be great brands, they would run about $60 in my area, but im finding that alot of people that used Blue Diamond did their own homework and Costco has a brand that is produced by Blue with the same ingredients for about half the price... now i have a costco about 25 min from me and my sister has a membership, has anyone tried them?

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok im doing my homework! LOL, seriously thou i am... Fromm and Blue seem to be great brands, they would run about $60 in my area, but im finding that alot of people that used Blue Diamond did their own homework and Costco has a brand that is produced by Blue with the same ingredients for about half the price... now i have a costco about 25 min from me and my sister has a membership, has anyone tried them?

I belive there have been recalls on the Diamond Brands

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Fromm also last about a month or so for us :) We feed 2 cups a day maybe a little more! When you feed good food you dont have to feed as much when your feeding a low rated food. There is a Costco Brand that some feed and I cant think of the name of it :) I dont think its made by Dimaond cause Im sure they ahve had many recalls in the last couple months

OP
K

Keisha

Dec 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
I think im reading so much its all jumbling together! LOL!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.