General Question Shedding from Fromm? Or is it something else?

OP
bulliemama

bulliemama

Oct 26, 2012
Philadelphia
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin 8/20/12, Winston 10/23/03-7/5/12
Thank you for all the replies! I haven't tried cottage cheese yet so I will give that a shot first since I can pick it up at the grocery store. I do use the kong zoom groom and it helps a little but this just started getting bad over the past few days. It did just get bitter cold here, I wonder if that has something to do with it. At any rate, I will try things slowly and see what happens. I took a great pic of Franklin in the car today, you can see how nicely his tear stains are clearing up. You can also see his big boy teeth coming in. Yay for him, ouch for me, lol :)
photo2.jpg

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I'm not on Fromm, (NVI) but I'm pretty sure bully's shed a decent amount - is your bully balding or something?? What exactly is the concern?

Sorry, am I being a noob LOL!? (We have like 10 lint brushes in the house)

OP
bulliemama

bulliemama

Oct 26, 2012
Philadelphia
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm not on Fromm, (NVI) but I'm pretty sure bully's shed a decent amount - is your bully balding or something?? What exactly is the concern?

Sorry, am I being a noob LOL!? (We have like 10 lint brushes in the house)

No he's not balding, knock on wood! Yikes! He's just shedding but much more than usual. My bullie Winston that passed away in the summer never shedded this bad and Franklin didn't either but I thought maybe it had something to do with the food change, he's been on Fromm for about 3 weeks now. Or if it's possible that he's lacking some kind of nutrient. I pray its nothing serious. :eek:

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
No he's not balding, knock on wood! Yikes! He's just shedding but much more than usual. My bullie Winston that passed away in the summer never shedded this bad and Franklin didn't either but I thought maybe it had something to do with the food change, he's been on Fromm for about 3 weeks now. Or if it's possible that he's lacking some kind of nutrient. I pray its nothing serious. :eek:

Oh gosh! Remi is my very first bully and I'm a total noob, but I've been given the crash course and learning fast. Fromm is high quality food. If he isn't breaking out, getting rashes or scratching a lot, you're probably fine.

OP
bulliemama

bulliemama

Oct 26, 2012
Philadelphia
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh gosh! Remi is my very first bully and I'm a total noob, but I've been given the crash course and learning fast. Fromm is high quality food. If he isn't breaking out, getting rashes or scratching a lot, you're probably fine.

Thanks for the reassurance. Winston didn't have any allergies of any kind so we were very lucky with him. I'm a noob when it comes to bullie allergies so I'm just a very nervous mama ;)

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Thanks for the reassurance. Winston didn't have any allergies of any kind so we were very lucky with him. I'm a noob when it comes to bullie allergies so I'm just a very nervous mama ;)

OMG!!! I'm fairly certain Remi is allergic to chicken and beef, so I'm beginning to feel like a dog hypochondriac.

OP
bulliemama

bulliemama

Oct 26, 2012
Philadelphia
Bulldog(s) Names
OMG!!! I'm fairly certain Remi is allergic to chicken and beef, so I'm beginning to feel like a dog hypochondriac.

I feel the same, lol. I know Franklin is allergic to chicken by the scratching and paw licking but the vet thinks I'm nuts and won't do an allergy test until he's a year old.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I feel the same, lol. I know Franklin is allergic to chicken by the scratching and paw licking but the vet thinks I'm nuts and won't do an allergy test until he's a year old.

OMG, we are twins. I tend to over react, so I'm constantly analyzing if something is for real.

I can tell you brushing Remi with an every day wire brush has really cut down on his shedding. I brush him every couple of days.

OP
bulliemama

bulliemama

Oct 26, 2012
Philadelphia
Bulldog(s) Names
OMG, we are twins. I tend to over react, so I'm constantly analyzing if something is for real.

I can tell you brushing Remi with an every day wire brush has really cut down on his shedding. I brush him every couple of days.

It's better to over react sooner than find out something is wrong later, as far as I'm concerned. ;)
I've been using the zoom groom but the furmanator is arriving tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I'll try the wire brush.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Mine is almost 6 months old and she also eats Fromm but I think our babies are just changing their coat from puppy to adult.

My entire house has dog hair and it drives me crazy! I already have the zoomgroom and furminator and use them often. I also give her coconut oil and hardy pet complete as a multivitamin. So I went online on amazon and bought the furminator anti shedding shampoo and conditioner plus I went to Walmart and got me a little portable pet vacuum! :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I also feed my 2 guys Fromms Beef, and my 2 shed as well , but I don't think it is the food. I had a Jack Russell for 14 yrs, and she had the same type of short coat like my bullies. I think it's just the type of coat they have, the short hair breeds shed a lot. I add salmon oil to their food, and it's supposed to be good for the skin and fur, plus it has the added health benefits of the Omegas. I find what helps to minimize the shedding is regular baths and brushing. I give my guys a bath usually once a week, but over the holiday bustle, it's been about 2 weeks, and I brush them after really well, this helps to get rid of all the loose hair. I also brush them a couple of times a week. They like it, it's kind of like a massage, they will stretch out and let me brush them.

As for the floors, we have dark laminate wood floors which show everything, lint, hair, dust, etc. We vacuum, sweep and swiffer our floors every Wednesday, and then on Sunday we vacuum, sweep and swiffer, and damp mop the floors. This helps a lot to control the hair, and you don't have to do it everyday. I think the shedding hair and hair in our house and on our clothes just comes with the territory of owning pets. Lol. But there are ways of minimizing and controlling it. I hope this helps.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.