Help Needed! Dog food allergies

Camsmom

Dec 6, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Camden
I'm very worried about my 2yr old bully Camden. About a yr ago he had an allergic reaction to something not sure still what it was. The vet put him on iams skin and coat vet formula. He did great and his skin cleared up. One day he ran out of food and I ran to the store and got him a bag of regular iams. Now he is red in the face and losing hair on his head. I did some research and decided on Natures instinct. It's been two weeks we is only eating the new food but continues to get worse. I was going to go to the vet tomorrow and get more of the iams skin and coat. However, it is rated 1 star and the money is not an issue when it comes to Camden there is nothing I won't do for him. Any suggestions of a quality food would be appreciated or should I give the nasty red instinct a little more time?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would try going back to the yucky food for now, at least until this gets under control. However, If Cam has a full blown skin infection it may not matter what food he's on until he gets antibiotics to clear it up.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree with [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], go back to the food he was doing well on and see the vet because he may need antibiotics to get rid of the skin infection.

OP
C

Camsmom

Dec 6, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Camden
It's not infected there are about 6 small spots on the top of his head that hair is falling out. His face is red and a little puffy, also sick to his stomach once last week and once this week. I clean his ears everyday wipe his face, stainless bowls, no toys that hold bacteria, we even clean his bottom every time he does his business. I'm sure it's food related because the symptoms are mostly the same as last yr when I took him to the vet. I want him to eat a better quality but the iams skin and coat is the only one I know he felt great eating. As a puppy he did terrific eating chicken soup for pup lovers soul. How often can I change his food in search of the right quality one?

OP
C

Camsmom

Dec 6, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Camden
I have cephalexin 500 mg in case he ever does get any infection but his symptoms didn't mimic infection.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It's not infected there are about 6 small spots on the top of his head that hair is falling out. His face is red and a little puffy, also sick to his stomach once last week and once this week. I clean his ears everyday wipe his face, stainless bowls, no toys that hold bacteria, we even clean his bottom every time he does his business. I'm sure it's food related because the symptoms are mostly the same as last yr when I took him to the vet. I want him to eat a better quality but the iams skin and coat is the only one I know he felt great eating. As a puppy he did terrific eating chicken soup for pup lovers soul. How often can I change his food in search of the right quality one?

Can you post a picture o the spots? Sounds like they could be an reaction to something in the food

Hannah2012

Dec 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Hannah
I am having issues also with allergies and dont know if its the food or not? I have Hannah on Purina which is what the breeder had her on. She never had issues until she came to my house. I had her on purina puppy chow and he had her on purina regular. I switched to what he had her on...have had her to the vet and they gave her medicine to clear the infection along with medicine to clear the itch. She is doing ALOT better but she is still itching. She had dug spots into her back, which they shaved her so we can see and also put the medicine on. She is more focused on scratching her belly now than her back. Any suggestions would surely help?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
How can I add the pic?
i would go back to the vet food till you can get the spots cleared up then we can see about something else for him. the main thing is to get this better first. i can help you with food later on when he is better.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I am having issues also with allergies and dont know if its the food or not? I have Hannah on Purina which is what the breeder had her on. She never had issues until she came to my house. I had her on purina puppy chow and he had her on purina regular. I switched to what he had her on...have had her to the vet and they gave her medicine to clear the infection along with medicine to clear the itch. She is doing ALOT better but she is still itching. She had dug spots into her back, which they shaved her so we can see and also put the medicine on. She is more focused on scratching her belly now than her back. Any suggestions would surely help?
well purina is not a very good food really. you can try some beef and rice to see if she gets better or chicken and rice if she tolerated chicken but lots of bullies dont. you may want to try a grain free food as alot of bullies do better with that.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
How can I add the pic?

You can click go advanced next to post reply and use manage attachments to post a picture. You can also past a photobucket link if you have an account.

I would go back to the old food for now. In the meantime look at the food recommendation page here... Here is the link http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/content.php?r=219-Dog-Food-Ratings

You will need to do a slow switch whenever switching foods it will take about 2-3 weeks to transition. During the process you can also add some pumpkin 1tbsp to the food. Not the pie filling real pumpkin :) Hope all is well
I feed Brutus Fromm and a lot of other bullies do very good with Fromm and its a great grain free food.

OP
C

Camsmom

Dec 6, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Camden
Well guys today I changed to natures variety instinct beef and lamb. I tried the chicken first and with no improvements decided not to give him the chicken anymore. He has always been on kibble so I got some. I also got some canned and the bags that go in the freezer. Is it ok to feed him a varity of forms of the same food?

OP
C

Camsmom

Dec 6, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Camden
Camden also has a vet visit scheduled for Wednesday. This is for his his yearly visit. Should I ask about allergy testing?

OP
C

Camsmom

Dec 6, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Camden
The spots on Camden's head.

Last edited:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Can't see the pics :(. But you can certainly ask for an allergy test. It may give some false positives, but it should give some guidance on what food to have him on.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.