URGENT!!! if you feed purina you have to read this immediately!!

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
If you are feeding Purina food to your dog, you might want to consider changing immediately. I have never recommended Purina and here's more evidence posted by fellow blogger YesBiscuit! and I totally agree:

-------------------------------------------------Article on Purina's "New and Improved" Formula by YesBiscuit! -------------------------------------------------

A premium line of dog foods recently reformulated their products and, call me Suspicious Sally, but I know the country is facing an economic crunch and I wondered how the new ingredients would stand up to scrutiny. Here are the first ingredients listed in one of the new formulas:

Beef, brewers rice, whole grain wheat, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal, animal fat, whole grain corn, soy flour, soybean meal, dried beet pulp, fish meal, animal digest, glycerin

Beef - OK. Ideally this would be USDA inspected beef muscle meat, obtained from local, humane, sustainable farming methods - not feedlot misery. But yeah, I know I'm dreaming.

Brewer's Rice - Alcohol industry waste product which, if not bought by pet food companies, would otherwise end up in the trash bin. AAFCO allows this ingredient to contain "spent hops in an amount not to exceed 3 percent." Spent hops, when ingested by dogs, can be fatal.

Whole Grain Wheat - OK for some dogs but it is a common allergen

Corn Gluten Meal: Waste product from facilities manufacturing corn syrup, used in the extrusion process to bind kibble. Corn gluten is one of many known contaminated pet food ingredients to have poisoned pets in the past.

Poultry By-Product Meal: The bits that people won't eat (such as heads, intestines, and feet) but from what kind of poultry - anyone know? Does the manufacturer know? Apparently not.

Animal Fat - AAFCO describes this as fat from mammals and/or poultry. Dang, how would YOU like to have a dinner made from "mammals". Kinda horror flick like.

Whole Grain Corn - indigestible by dogs, another common allergen

Soy Flour and Soybean Meal - Soy is a common allergen in dogs. The flour is presumably used as a binding agent, while soybean meal is simply waste product of the soybean oil extraction process.

Dried Beet Pulp - Dried residue from sugar beets which is yet another ingredient used in pet foods which would otherwise be sent to the landfill. Pet food companies use it because it binds the stool and apparently as owners, we are so excited to see firm stool that we don't care if it's the result of some junk ingredient added to the food as opposed to an accurate reflection of good nutrition and healthy digestion. Gosh, we're dumb.

Fish Meal - What kind of fish is "Fish"? In order to comply with US Coast Guard regulations, all fish meal must be preserved with ethoxyquin. The pet food manufacturer need not list the ethoxyquin as an ingredient since they didn't add it themselves.

Animal Digest - Ick.

Glycerin - a waste product of the bio-fuel industry

Overall product ingredients review: *sounds buzzer* It looks like this company has cut corners even further in order to try and maintain profitability during the economic crisis. Too bad for the dogs who rely on this food as their main source of nourishment. To my mind, a diet of healthy table scraps would be far superior.

-------------------------------------------------end of article -------------------------------------------------

Do you want to know the brand? It's Purina's Pro Plan Shredded Blend Beef and Rice formula.

I can't emphasize to you enough the importance of avoiding bad food. The money you save will result in more vet costs or (worse) the ill health and death of your bulldog.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Why is this stuff even allowed in our dog foods? we as humans wouldn't feed this to our families if it was in our food, and there are government regulations governing our food, so why are the same rules not being applied to our pet foods? They are living, breathing creatures, who deserve the best nutrition and health just like we do. Why is the government allowing these poisons to be added and sold to our pets foods, when it is known they aren't healthy or safe? Is it because people look at them as just animals and seem to think its okay for them to be fed this crap? i don't understand why there aren't stricter rules for pet foods and what goes into them.

A

Alaskasmom1

Yes, what you guys said. This is disgusting but at the same time I'm not surprised in the least. 10 years ago I was ignorant of ingredients in pet food. Awareness will go a long way to educate responsible pet owners what they are feeding to their babies. Great thread!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
This one of the reasons I feed raw food and the way that I can recognize the product what I'm giving.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
if you can buy it in a grocrey store --- it is trash

A

Alaskasmom1

This one of the reasons I feed raw food and the way that I can recognize the product what I'm giving.

I'm right there with you. I've got mine on mostly raw. I get it from the Amish village near us. Packaged and frozen when I pick it up. Fresh meat too. .75 a pound. Can't beat the price or the way their allergies, gas and stomach issues are now nonexistent. I don't give mine raw bones although they are available. The o Lyon reason I do t is Tank hides them and I sometimes don't know how old a bone is that he comes up with. Scares me about spoilage....so, I give them a bit of Taste of The Wild I. With their food that's raw.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online