General Question What fish oil to use?

OP
mendomama

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
So I added some Grizzley Salmon Oil from pet flow with regular shipment, should be here today. Any body knowledgeable about supplements???... Anybody? Didn't know who to tag that know this subject. What about vitamin E? I heard you should also give this with fish oils, does any body know about this and what kind/ where do I get it? Can I use Vitamin E soft gels that I have for me? Just poke a hole and dribble some on? If so how much? How often? :hmm::hmm:
Both my dogs weigh about 40 lbs.

[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] , [MENTION=4688]Baconator[/MENTION] Anybody? Didn't know who to tag that know this subject.

Last edited:

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
we give bacon a cap full of unfiltered apple cider vinegar with this dinner too, it's good for their immune systems

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Well, Ambers food is homemade and I use a variety of stuff for her to include salmon oil but I also use bacon grease once a week in her weekend groceries. Since I make breakfast on weekends forthe family she gets two tablespoons of bacon grease in her food on Sat and Sun plus she gets eggs in her food throughout the week and NuVet vitamin supplements daily. Her coat glimmers and shines.....unless she decides to roll around in the garden. lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So I added some Grizzley Salmon Oil from pet flow with regular shipment, should be here today. Any body knowledgeable about supplements???... Anybody? Didn't know who to tag that know this subject. What about vitamin E? I heard you should also give this with fish oils, does any body know about this and what kind/ where do I get it? Can I use Vitamin E soft gels that I have for me? Just poke a hole and dribble some on? If so how much? How often? :hmm::hmm:

@cowsmom @desertskybulldogs @JeannieCO @JAKEISGREAT @2BullyMama , @Baconator Anybody? Didn't know who to tag that know this subject.

Banks weights 63 lbs and we give her 1200mg fish oil pill in the AM... using the drizzle on the food, I am not sure - I think [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] does this for Vegas
yes, you can use your E pill for your baby... not sure on dosage though, maybe 400mg a day

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)

@cowsmom @desertskybulldogs @JeannieCO @JAKEISGREAT @2BullyMama , @Baconator Anybody? Didn't know who to tag that know this subject.

[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] is probably the most knowledgeable about supplements.

I've never heard of having to give Vit E if you are giving them fish oil though ... that's a new one to me!!

We use the Grizzly salmon oil too, but I introduced that to Bella at the same time as I switched from Fromm Beef to the Fromm Salmon. She had an allergic reaction to it and lost patches of hair off the top of her head. We've taken out the salmon oil and put her back on Beef. I'm waiting for all the hair to grow back and then I'll experiment with the salmon oil again so I can rule out if one or both things caused the allergic reaction.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis

I've never heard of having to give Vit E if you are giving them fish oil though ... that's a new one to me!!

I always try to use human grade supplements for my dogs. The ingredients are better, they are more FDA regulated than the canine brands AND they are usually cheaper. If you are going to use human grade fish oil the dose is 300mg of EPA and DHA per 10 pounds of body weight, split into 2 doses a day. You can either puncture the pill and squirt it onto the food or stuff it in a pill pocket and give it whole. I used to just mix the whole pill into Abbys food, she never noticed it in there and ate it. Do NOT use cod liver oil!

The vitamin E thing is something that I guess not many people know about. Long term fish oil dosing can deplete the body's natural vitamin E reserves. This applies to both people and animals. A vitamin E supplement should be added every couple of days to keep the balance.

This is from an article in the Journal of Nutrition

1).However, the substitution of membrane fatty acids with potentially unstable (n-3) fatty acids from fish oil may potentiate peroxidation of cellular membranes and increase the requirement for vitamin E, a membrane antioxidant. Feeding fish oil has been a classical method for the induction of vitamin E deficiency in animals(6)

There is an excellent writeup about it on Livestrong

At 30 pounds, Abby got 200 IU vitamin E every other day. At 60 pounds, Otis gets 400.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I've never used Vit. E either. Wilson and Jack get two squirts of Grizzly salmon oil on their food 4-5 times a week. Emma gets Extra Virgin Coconut oil as her face was really pink when I had her on the salmon oil. She just had a sensitivity to it.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I always try to use human grade supplements for my dogs. The ingredients are better, they are more FDA regulated than the canine brands AND they are usually cheaper. If you are going to use human grade fish oil the dose is 300mg of EPA and DHA per 10 pounds of body weight, split into 2 doses a day. You can either puncture the pill and squirt it onto the food or stuff it in a pill pocket and give it whole. I used to just mix the whole pill into Abbys food, she never noticed it in there and ate it. Do NOT use cod liver oil!

The vitamin E thing is something that I guess not many people know about. Long term fish oil dosing can deplete the body's natural vitamin E reserves. This applies to both people and animals. A vitamin E supplement should be added every couple of days to keep the balance.

This is from an article in the Journal of Nutrition

1).However, the substitution of membrane fatty acids with potentially unstable (n-3) fatty acids from fish oil may potentiate peroxidation of cellular membranes and increase the requirement for vitamin E, a membrane antioxidant. Feeding fish oil has been a classical method for the induction of vitamin E deficiency in animals(6)

There is an excellent writeup about it on Livestrong

At 30 pounds, Abby got 200 IU vitamin E every other day. At 60 pounds, Otis gets 400.

You are officially amazing!!! :w00t:

OP
mendomama

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
Thank you so much to everybody with helpful info! [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] thanks for the vit E info I knew I read something some where about it, but couldn't find it.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i use the grizzly salmon oil in sarahs food per directions on the package for how much. the new joint med i give her has the omega 3 and 6 in it plus some vitamin e so i dont have to use the salmon anymore really but sometimes i still give her a few squirts for good measure.

OP
mendomama

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
the new joint med i give her has the omega 3 and 6 in it plus some vitamin e so i dont have to use the salmon anymore really but sometimes i still give her a few squirts for good measure.

What is the name of this joint med you give? Is it just a supplement to give for preventive measures? Or a medication for a issue? Sounds like it has it all.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
What is the name of this joint med you give? Is it just a supplement to give for preventive measures? Or a medication for a issue? Sounds like it has it all.
sarah has a broken front leg and spine issues and a rear leg with a fixed acl tear. all this before we got her 5 years ago. she is on overby farm hip flex joint level 2- moderate. she is doing really well with it and im going to post it in the great products section soon.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I ran out of Grizzly Salmon Oil about ten days ago. I wasn't convinced it was making THAT much of a difference with anything so I didn't run right out and reload.

I HAVE NEVER BEEN MORE WRONG IN MY LIFE.

There is shedding of colossal spring-style proportions (unbelievable amounts of hair - truly) over here and both dogs have lost that "sheen" that is the hallmark of a healthy happy coat of hair.

I'll be buying another giant jug TODAY.

Members online

No members online now.