General Question What fish oil to use?

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
Hello Friends, I am thinking of giving Uni fish oil. She had demodex as a puppy and I am seeing some splotchy spots in her fur, wondering if it's that pesky mite taking hold again. I also saw some flea poo on her so I know she must have a few. Which is not all that surprising considering it's winter, the worst time for fleas here. I figure Fish Oil would help her out on both fronts. But I don't know what brand to use? I did read here in a post that I should also supplement with vitamin E as well because the fish oil lowers the levels of E in dogs. I think that was the reason to add E at the same tie as Fish oil. So for the long post I would like to know what kind of fish oil you recommend? Is there one that already contains a vitamin E supplement also?

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I use Grizzly oil when I do give it to her but she doesnt care for it much.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bea and Bo both seem to like their Grizzly Salmon Oil. For a time I was over dosing them with it LOL until my girlfriend [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] straightened me out. I can REALLY tell the difference in Bea's coat. Bo not as much. A big jug of it lasts a long time though so it's a moderate expense and probably does far more good than I even realize - so I keep up with it.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We use grizzly salmon oil as well for Bacon and it's done WONDERS for his coat. The other thing you may want to add to Uni's diet is unfilter/unpasturized apple cider vinegar, we add a cap full of it to Bacon's dinner as well, it's good for their coats as well as their immune system.

OP
mendomama

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
Bea and Bo both seem to like their Grizzly Salmon Oil. For a time I was over dosing them with it LOL until my girlfriend @cowsmom straightened me out. I can REALLY tell the difference in Bea's coat. Bo not as much. A big jug of it lasts a long time though so it's a moderate expense and probably does far more good than I even realize - so I keep up with it.

So how much should I give them?

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I give mine the same as the folks above, Grizzly Salmon Oil ... both of my bulldogs get two pumps daily in their morning meal (our lab gets three pumps)

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Do they like it? I tried putting it in water and she wouldn't touch it.

Bacon doesn't mind it in his food at all, granted it's his food an you could probably add anything to it and he would eat it. We tried the water thing too and it didn't work because he eats ice cubes and I'm not adding an acv line to my ice maker :-)

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
apple cider vinegar, it's great for their immune system and coat, if you get it get the unfiltered raw kind. We use Braggs

*smacks self in the head* soon as I read your message I had to laugh at myself for being a dork and not figuring that out ... I've actually never tried using this with my babies, do you add it to their food? or something you use topically? I think I've seen something a few times about using it for tear stains? Diesel has a tear stain that makes me nuts and nothing I've tried has made it go away!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
*smacks self in the head* soon as I read your message I had to laugh at myself for being a dork and not figuring that out ... I've actually never tried using this with my babies, do you add it to their food? or something you use topically? I think I've seen something a few times about using it for tear stains? Diesel has a tear stain that makes me nuts and nothing I've tried has made it go away!

I add it to his food, others add it to their water, and if they have things like irritation between their toes you can soak their feet in a mixture of acv and water. Between that and the salmon oil Bacon's coat has gotten soooo much better plus it helped his staff infection on his back go away

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.