Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 41

Thread: What fish oil to use?

  1. #13
    .........
    Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    2,981
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)
    5

    Default Re: What fish oil to use?

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogs4me View Post
    *smacks self in the head* soon as I read your message I had to laugh at myself for being a dork and not figuring that out ... I've actually never tried using this with my babies, do you add it to their food? or something you use topically? I think I've seen something a few times about using it for tear stains? Diesel has a tear stain that makes me nuts and nothing I've tried has made it go away!

    I add it to his food, others add it to their water, and if they have things like irritation between their toes you can soak their feet in a mixture of acv and water. Between that and the salmon oil Bacon's coat has gotten soooo much better plus it helped his staff infection on his back go away

  2. #14
    Bully Bootie Duty EmmittPylate's Avatar
    Posts
    158
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emmitt
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Where do y'all buy the grizzly oil at?

  3. #15
    ..........
    Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,010
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default Re: What fish oil to use?

    Quote Originally Posted by EmmittPylate View Post
    Where do y'all buy the grizzly oil at?
    petco has salmon oil and pretty much any pet store should have it. if not then you can order it online. i use grizzly brand myself.

  4. #16
    Pet Sitter mendomama's Avatar
    Location
    Mendocino, CA
    Posts
    350
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Uni & Boadie
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: What fish oil to use?

    So I added some Grizzley Salmon Oil from pet flow with regular shipment, should be here today. Any body knowledgeable about supplements???... Anybody? Didn't know who to tag that know this subject. What about vitamin E? I heard you should also give this with fish oils, does any body know about this and what kind/ where do I get it? Can I use Vitamin E soft gels that I have for me? Just poke a hole and dribble some on? If so how much? How often?
    Both my dogs weigh about 40 lbs.

    @cowsmom @desertskybulldogs @JeannieCO @JAKEISGREAT @2BullyMama , @Baconator Anybody? Didn't know who to tag that know this subject.
    Last edited by mendomama; 12-20-2012 at 03:29 PM.
    In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.

  5. #17
    .........
    Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    2,981
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)
    5

    Default Re: What fish oil to use?

    we give bacon a cap full of unfiltered apple cider vinegar with this dinner too, it's good for their immune systems

  6. #18
    The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    dalmatina38's Avatar
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Location
    Sierra Vista Arizona
    Posts
    1,160
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)
    190

    Default Re: What fish oil to use?

    Well, Ambers food is homemade and I use a variety of stuff for her to include salmon oil but I also use bacon grease once a week in her weekend groceries. Since I make breakfast on weekends forthe family she gets two tablespoons of bacon grease in her food on Sat and Sun plus she gets eggs in her food throughout the week and NuVet vitamin supplements daily. Her coat glimmers and shines.....unless she decides to roll around in the garden. lol

  7. #19
    .................
    Real Name
    Becky
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,938
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: What fish oil to use?

    Jake gets nothin! His food is it. Ohhh and Benadryl!

  8. #20
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,127
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11470

    Default Re: What fish oil to use?

    Quote Originally Posted by mendomama View Post
    So I added some Grizzley Salmon Oil from pet flow with regular shipment, should be here today. Any body knowledgeable about supplements???... Anybody? Didn't know who to tag that know this subject. What about vitamin E? I heard you should also give this with fish oils, does any body know about this and what kind/ where do I get it? Can I use Vitamin E soft gels that I have for me? Just poke a hole and dribble some on? If so how much? How often?
    Both my dogs weigh about 40 lbs.

    @cowsmom @desertskybulldogs @JeannieCO @JAKEISGREAT @2BullyMama , @Baconator Anybody? Didn't know who to tag that know this subject.
    Banks weights 63 lbs and we give her 1200mg fish oil pill in the AM... using the drizzle on the food, I am not sure - I think @KMARINO does this for Vegas
    yes, you can use your E pill for your baby... not sure on dosage though, maybe 400mg a day
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  9. #21
    ..........
    Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Location
    Grafton, OHIO
    Posts
    8,746
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: What fish oil to use?

    Quote Originally Posted by mendomama View Post
    So I added some Grizzley Salmon Oil from pet flow with regular shipment, should be here today. Any body knowledgeable about supplements???... Anybody? Didn't know who to tag that know this subject. What about vitamin E? I heard you should also give this with fish oils, does any body know about this and what kind/ where do I get it? Can I use Vitamin E soft gels that I have for me? Just poke a hole and dribble some on? If so how much? How often?
    Both my dogs weigh about 40 lbs.

    @cowsmom @desertskybulldogs @JeannieCO @JAKEISGREAT @2BullyMama , @Baconator Anybody? Didn't know who to tag that know this subject.
    @Twice is probably the most knowledgeable about supplements.

    I've never heard of having to give Vit E if you are giving them fish oil though ... that's a new one to me!!

    We use the Grizzly salmon oil too, but I introduced that to Bella at the same time as I switched from Fromm Beef to the Fromm Salmon. She had an allergic reaction to it and lost patches of hair off the top of her head. We've taken out the salmon oil and put her back on Beef. I'm waiting for all the hair to grow back and then I'll experiment with the salmon oil again so I can rule out if one or both things caused the allergic reaction.

  10. #22
    My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Twice's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bev
    Location
    Woodbridge Township, NJ
    Posts
    2,711
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: What fish oil to use?

    Quote Originally Posted by mendomama View Post
    So I added some Grizzley Salmon Oil from pet flow with regular shipment, should be here today. Any body knowledgeable about supplements???... Anybody? Didn't know who to tag that know this subject. What about vitamin E? I heard you should also give this with fish oils, does any body know about this and what kind/ where do I get it? Can I use Vitamin E soft gels that I have for me? Just poke a hole and dribble some on? If so how much? How often?
    Both my dogs weigh about 40 lbs.

    @cowsmom @desertskybulldogs @JeannieCO @JAKEISGREAT @2BullyMama , @Baconator Anybody? Didn't know who to tag that know this subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzy220 View Post

    I've never heard of having to give Vit E if you are giving them fish oil though ... that's a new one to me!!


    I always try to use human grade supplements for my dogs. The ingredients are better, they are more FDA regulated than the canine brands AND they are usually cheaper. If you are going to use human grade fish oil the dose is 300mg of EPA and DHA per 10 pounds of body weight, split into 2 doses a day. You can either puncture the pill and squirt it onto the food or stuff it in a pill pocket and give it whole. I used to just mix the whole pill into Abbys food, she never noticed it in there and ate it. Do NOT use cod liver oil!

    The vitamin E thing is something that I guess not many people know about. Long term fish oil dosing can deplete the body's natural vitamin E reserves. This applies to both people and animals. A vitamin E supplement should be added every couple of days to keep the balance.

    This is from an article in the Journal of Nutrition

    1).However, the substitution of membrane fatty acids with potentially unstable (n-3) fatty acids from fish oil may potentiate peroxidation of cellular membranes and increase the requirement for vitamin E, a membrane antioxidant. Feeding fish oil has been a classical method for the induction of vitamin E deficiency in animals(6)

    There is an excellent writeup about it on Livestrong

    At 30 pounds, Abby got 200 IU vitamin E every other day. At 60 pounds, Otis gets 400.

    For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012


    Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

  11. #23
    Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    JeannieCO's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Conifer, Colorado
    Posts
    13,413
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)
    620

    Default Re: What fish oil to use?

    I've never used Vit. E either. Wilson and Jack get two squirts of Grizzly salmon oil on their food 4-5 times a week. Emma gets Extra Virgin Coconut oil as her face was really pink when I had her on the salmon oil. She just had a sensitivity to it.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

  12. #24
    ..........
    Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Location
    Grafton, OHIO
    Posts
    8,746
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: What fish oil to use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Twice View Post

    I always try to use human grade supplements for my dogs. The ingredients are better, they are more FDA regulated than the canine brands AND they are usually cheaper. If you are going to use human grade fish oil the dose is 300mg of EPA and DHA per 10 pounds of body weight, split into 2 doses a day. You can either puncture the pill and squirt it onto the food or stuff it in a pill pocket and give it whole. I used to just mix the whole pill into Abbys food, she never noticed it in there and ate it. Do NOT use cod liver oil!

    The vitamin E thing is something that I guess not many people know about. Long term fish oil dosing can deplete the body's natural vitamin E reserves. This applies to both people and animals. A vitamin E supplement should be added every couple of days to keep the balance.

    This is from an article in the Journal of Nutrition

    1).However, the substitution of membrane fatty acids with potentially unstable (n-3) fatty acids from fish oil may potentiate peroxidation of cellular membranes and increase the requirement for vitamin E, a membrane antioxidant. Feeding fish oil has been a classical method for the induction of vitamin E deficiency in animals(6)

    There is an excellent writeup about it on Livestrong

    At 30 pounds, Abby got 200 IU vitamin E every other day. At 60 pounds, Otis gets 400.
    You are officially amazing!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •