Help Needed! Ton just got out of the hospital

A

Alaskasmom1

So yesterday morning I got up for Tons 2 am feeding and he acted disinterested in nursing. At 4 am he was lethargic. I rushed him to the vet. His vet wasn't in but some new woman was there and I've been having to deal with her for the past few weeks. Our vet is having elderly parent issues, so she has had to hire help apparently. This is such a long story so ill spare you. She did Alalskas c section, she told me to take her and the puppy home, put them together and let nature take its course. Everything she has told me has been totally against what I've learned from you all. So, Ton ends up there from starving.mive been feedi g him off of mom and a little supplement. He nurses a lot. She was so mean to me about him being sick that I cried and cried. She just kept on. By three hours after he was in hospital. He was awake and nursing. A tech took him home for the night. I picked him up this morning and this vet asked me if something was wrong because I was so quiet and had no questions. I told her in a nice tone that I felt judged and belittled yesterday. I have been coming to this vets practice since 1996 and am known for being a careful dog parent. If it hadn't been for my Facebook friends I don't know what I would have done. Even my church told me they had special prayer at a prayer meeting for Ton. I never told you guys until now because my heart has just been broken so badly. Can I please just learn from you guys while I find a new Bulldog vet? This woman supposedly knows about them but I think otherwise. And, this truly is the short version of the story.
thanks for listening.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
oh my gosh what a horrible experience you've been through and trying to do it alone, I'm sorry you had to go through that!! I'm happy the Ton is feeling better and I hope you are able to find a better fit with a new Vet and I sure hope things continue to get better!! Hugs

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
That is the frustrating part of this breed, such special precautions and good vets are needed. I sure hope the Little Ton continues to get better and you find someone you can trust for their care.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
how old is Ton? at one week old he should be eating every two hour's and stimulated to expelled his waist after every meal. at two week he should be able to go three hours up to four hours, until hes full. at three weeks the eye open and he will eat longer , this is a good time to introduce shallow water plate. and then start wet kibble at week four also vaccines begin then too. he needs to be handled by you lots and lots , what are your questions?

OP
A

Alaskasmom1

I need to know if its for sure a low setting on the heating pad. He seems to feel more comfortable on the medium setting because the cover of it is very thick like fur.
I also want to know if powdered formula is ok and if not what liquid type do you recommend. I've tried to find goats milk but no luck.
Will the antibiotics his mom is o. And the oxytocin hurt him? He is no longer nursing her but I wonder if it contributed to the lethargy.
Should he poo after every meal same as peeing?
Is Desitin ok to use under his tail for irritation?
Ill have more later.

OP
A

Alaskasmom1

how old is Ton? at one week old he should be eating every two hour's and stimulated to expelled his waist after every meal. at two week he should be able to go three hours up to four hours, until hes full. at three weeks the eye open and he will eat longer , this is a good time to introduce shallow water plate. and then start wet kibble at week four also vaccines begin then too. he needs to be handled by you lots and lots , what are your questions?

Ton is one week old today

OP
A

Alaskasmom1

God Bless you all. I always had Boxers. The same three for over 13 yrs and they were spayed and neutered. I have studied for 3 years about raising a litter of English Bulldogs all the while raising two ( they'll never be grown), I felt ready with my vets help and with this forum. Then, my vet has been gone since 1 week before Alaskas due date. This sub vet supposedly knew about bully's. r ii gg hh t...she knows NOTHING according to what all the breeders say on here.
She told me to take Alaska and Ton home and let nature take its course.
BUT, THE WEEK BEFORE SHE HAD THE PUPPY SHE SAID HE WAS DEFORMED AND I SHOULD JUST LET HER DO THE C SECTION TO SAVE ALASKA BECAUSE O E PUPPY I. A LITTER IS ALWAYS DEFORMED AND I COULD EITHER SAVE ALASKA OR LOSE THEM BOTH IF I WAITED TO TERM FOR THE C SECTION.
Then when I waited and Ton was healthy, I told her that I had learned that you should never leave the mom with the baby and she said where are you getting this info. On the Internet? Fill I. The rest of her rant here.
It just goes o . So yesterday she had me crying because she said Ton had nearly starved and I was going to have to get up and feed him and not sleep through his feelings! She had told me NOT to feed him. To let Alaska do it, but I was doing it some anyway or he would have starved! Thi this truly isn't for the faint of heart.
So now, I'm looking for a new Vet after all these years.

OP
A

Alaskasmom1

I should add, that I did the A I myself, extracted the sperm from our male myself, was successful on my first try with the AI pregnancy. Yes, I have a lot to learn, but I am finding out that I trust myself and take my pets health way more seriously than this so called substitute vet.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I need to know if its for sure a low setting on the heating pad. He seems to feel more comfortable on the medium setting because the cover of it is very thick like fur.
I also want to know if powdered formula is ok and if not what liquid type do you recommend. I've tried to find goats milk but no luck.
Will the antibiotics his mom is o. And the oxytocin hurt him? He is no longer nursing her but I wonder if it contributed to the lethargy.
Should he poo after every meal same as peeing?
Is Desitin ok to use under his tail for irritation?
Ill have more later.

Low setting is fine on heating pad if he's not getting a draft, I put a sheet over the tub and keep a thermometer in there with him, temp between 80/88 keep him out of drafts. If mom is still making milk have him nurse from her, unless she dried up. she shouldn't have give him 20 minutes at a time every 2 hours. stimulate the butt and peepee area with baby wipe and keep clean. week two you can back down to three hours his eyes should open in week three and begin to wander around, he can have water now and a mix of cereal and formula starting at this stage. Some others should be along to help soon.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I am so sorry to hear your frustrations. Sounds like you will be on track soon.

OP
M

mabel lou

Wow you sure have been put through the wringer. I see you as a strong woman from what your saying who is doing great with her puppy and the momma. So what if this vet has her own personal opinion. She certainly needs to take a class on compassion. That is rude and disrespectful to speak to you in such a way. If she is not an understanding doctor then she needs to find another carreer because you have to feel for the animal and the owner and you direct them in ways to do what is best for the animal. But you have this site until you find the vet that your comfortable with. I wish you the best in locating a experienced compassionate vet that has a lot of knowledge with EBDs. God bless

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online