Blue wilderness vs blue buffalo freedom grain free

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Mack came to me on Purina dog chow, I since have switched him to Blue Buffalo Freedom grain free.

To be honest, I always heard BB was really good food, other was for stars on the ratings article, and I had never heard of the 6 star foods and thought everyone mail ordered them.

Then I noticed blue wilderness is on the 6 star list, it is at the petstore, and is less than five dollars more than the BB Freedom. I didn't realize that blue wilderness is actually make by blue buffalo as well.

So here is much question, how different are the ingredients in wilderness vs freedom? Wilderness has a label that says 100% grain free...is freedom not really grain free?

If Mack allergies don't improve by winter, I may switch him to the salmon wilderness bc freedom is chicken based, so that's what started his whole thing....

I guess I don't understand why the "top selling high quality" dog food company would make a significantly higher quality food than the other....wilderness come later? I thought freedom was pretty new, atleast their website made it seem that way.

I am rambling....

What's the difference between the two that makes one 4 star and he other 6 star?

And will I notice a big difference in Mack?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Both bags have the ingredients on the labels. You can also go to the Blue Buffalo website and read the ingredients. Why don't you start with doing that? It may answer your questions. Just Google blue Buffalo dog food and it should pop up.

OP
Noyes27

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
I did look on their website, the ingredients list seems essentially the same, which is why i thought someone here might have some more insight.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I don't have any helpful advice but will get you in contact with [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] ... she is the one who can help!

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
I took a quick look see and the advertised difference is in the level of protein. Freedom has 24% protein and 14% fat and Wilderness has 34 / 15. I'd go with the Freedom but I have smaller bullies as well who need the lower value. I looked chicken to chicken.

If you really want to fine tooth it, copy paste the ingredients and analysis into Word or notepad and check off each element. I've done that in the past too. the Wilderness has turkey higher on the ingredient list than Freedom does and the last 2 items in the analysis for Freedom (joint stuff I can't spell) are missing from Wilderness.

Last edited:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok first of all all of the wilderness brands have chicken in them so doesnt matter which one you use it will have chicken in it. ok blue wilderness has more protein than the freedom and if you look at the ingredients they are somewhat different. placement of ingredients when talking pet food is important. the wilderness has better ingredients.
wilderness
Deboned Chicken,Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Peas, Tapioca Starch, Tomato Pomace (source of Lycopene), Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed tocopherols and Citric Acid),Natural Chicken Flavor, Flaxseed (source of Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids, potatoes

freedom

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Peas, Potatoes, Pea Starch,Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid),Turkey Meal, Pea Fiber,Tomato Pomace (source of Lycopene),

with the wilderness you see 3 meat items then peas tapioca and then potatoes further down with the freedom you see 2 meats then peas potatoes them a pea starch then another meat and then more peas. more meat in the first ingredients is what you want to see it tells you there is alot of meat in the food. peas are a cheap item to use as opposed to tapioca or potatoes which is why alot of foods are using them now and also because foods are moving away from potatoes supposedly because of yeast but i suspect it has more to do with their bottom line. now will your dog do better on wilderness as opposed to freedom depends on the dog and the allergies involved. freedom is not a bad food if your dog does good on it. for me when picking a food yea id love to feed a six star food but if your bully does good on a 4 star and it suites their allergies then apparently thats what you will feed. doesnt mean you cant feed some home cooked or throw some freed dried in with it to make it better. doesnt mean you cant try something higher rated down the road either when your bully is doing ok. if you have more questions please just hollar.

Last edited:
OP
Noyes27

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Thanks for the input guys! I knew someone would know the answer! ;)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.