Purina 1 vs blue buffalo

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
Tell me what you all think
Our puppy (andante generations of his family) were raised on purina 1 lamb and rice by the breeder and naturally she highly recommended to continue giving him that. In the month that we've had him home with us he has had soft stool/diarrhea constantly. At first we thought it was from his de-worming and now know that he currently has Gardia. At the time we didn't know yet so we gradually switched him over to blue buffalo lamb and oatmeal as we heard this was 10x better than purina 1. I told our breeder yesterday about the switch and she was understandably upset we didn't take her advice. I thought purina was low quality food but the breeder has been raising bulldogs over 20 years with no problems on that food. Any suggestions or opinions? K may be switching him back to the purina 1 now.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/purina-one-dog-food-dry/

The above link can tell you more about purina one ingredients and why it is considered a low quality food.

The Diarrhea issues you are experiencing are a combination of the health issues you are having, especially giardia- giardia can make a pups butt explode. When my boy got it at that RV park his poops would fly 10 feet out of his bottom.

I do however, recommend waiting to switch unless you have already done so. Switching foods causes digestive irritation and can only make symptoms worse. If you already switched dont switch back it will cause further irritation.

Giardia is also hard to get rid of. Do not miss any medication and make sure you give it all to your pup, even if symptoms improve.

A bland diet may help your problems, ask your vet if you should try it.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
The Diarrhea issues you are experiencing are a combination of the health issues you are having, especially giardia- giardia can make a pups butt explode. When my boy got it at that RV park his poops would fly 10 feet out of his bottom.

:eek: :eek:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Plain canned Pumpkin will help to stiffen up the stool 1 tbs at 1 meal

OP
K

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
Would It be bad to put him back on the purina 1? Is it really that low quality?

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
I stand by Blue Buffalo wilderness,Sarge and LuLu love it and their poop is always firm , no bad bellies, I"ll never change.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
yes it is that bad anything that is sold in the grocery store or says purina on it is not good food. do some checking on ingredients and look at whats on the bag of food you will be appalled. having said that yea we have been feeding that stuff to our dogs forever but we also eat mcdonalds doesnt mean its good for us in the long run really. just my opinion.

Wrangler

Jul 17, 2012
O H I O
Bulldog(s) Names
Linus
Hi!

I wanted to give some perspective on those 2 foods. I have a lab and an EB. I have fed my lab Purina ONE lamb and rice since I got her. I was going to feed my EB the same when I got him, but did some research and opted to feed him blue buffalo lamb and oatmeal. I add hot water to his food at each feeding. I also add water to my labs purina one sometimes. And here is where I know there is a difference in quality........when I SHAKE the BB lamb and oatmeal with water it almost makes a brown gravy, when I shake the purina one lamb and rice in water it turns an off white cloudy water! it never turns brown like gravy! Its disgusting! Now purina one is sprayed with some kind of fat/oil to make it more palatable for dogs to eat. I am seriously contemplating switching her to BB as well. PLEASE DO NOT BE GUILT TRIPPED INTO FEEDING A SUBPAR DOGFOOD!! I highly recommend dogfoodadvisor.com for research purposes......

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven

One of the things that has happened to former decent brands is the addition of several additives,
preservatives, rotten meats, dead animals, hormones, antibiotics, etc, etc, etc...if you could actually
SEE what goes into what these companies are making their feed out of, I promise you would not buy
it! Years back, Purina 1 was decent but not now...the almighty dollar comes before your beloved pet's
well being, it is just the sad truth and your breeder, like so many of us, is being duped by believing in
quality that no longer exists AND is created using actual poisons & toxins.

I too, used to feed these foods but started educating myself and was sickened by the truth and after
using healthier ingredients, no grains, no additives...I saw the difference in my dogs & cats and will
NEVER go back!

Until Luca is completely healed from giardia, I would not switch foods or add anything new other than
plain pumpkin (not the pie filling) and a dollup of plain yogurt (organic) to conteract the antibiotics he's
on and to strengthen his immune system. Good luck and let us know how the 'lil fellow does!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.