loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
If you haven't heard of the AAFCO, it's the governing regulatory agency that provides guidelines for pet foods. You might think this is a good thing, but think again!

Here is a breakdown of approved foods for 2008. It makes me wonder who's funding this group because they recommend rice flour as their #1 ingredient to dogs that are well known as primarily meat eaters.

This article came from Yes Biscuit, a blog devoted to pet care.

===============article===================

Pet Food Ingredient Breakdown - #2

By YesBiscuit!

Today, I looked at a new, AAFCO approved food on the market for dogs. It contains all the usual advertising tags which make me suspicious: "100% complete and balanced", "No fillers", "High quality proteins", etc. Here are the first seven ingredients leading up to the first source of fat:

1. Rice Flour - This is the main ingredient of the only food you want me to feed my dog - rice flour? Isn't that better used for making gluten-free baked goods or something? Flour comes in a sack and it's all powdery. My dog doesn't want that as the main ingredient in his dinner! And I question the quality of any flour sold for use in pet food. I assume that like many other pet food ingredients, it's of lower quality than the flour sold for human consumption in my local grocery store. Exactly how much nutrition is my dog supposed to get from this pet food grade sack of flour? The "no fillers" claim isn't sounding so truthful right about now.

2. Chicken By-Product Meal - This is a euphemism for things such as chicken heads, feet, intestines, lungs, etc. If you don't know (or won't say) what exactly you are putting in this food, don't expect me to feed it to my pets.

3. Meat Broth - What kind of "meat"? A hodgepodge of condemned carcasses that were covered in charcoal to distinguish that they are unfit for human consumption? Or is it something else, just as disgusting? Again, if you either don't know or won't tell - I won't be feeding it.

4. Wheat Flour - See my powdery complaint above.

5. Glycerin - I was reading an article about how excited the pet food industry is about using glycerin - a waste product of the bio-fuel industry - in their products. Me, I was a little less excited.

6. Corn Gluten Meal - Another waste product obtained from the manufacture of corn syrup - not an ingredient I'm inclined to sustain my pet's life and health on.

7. Corn Flour - Enough with the sacks of powder already - my dog wants some real food!

Overall product ingredients review: 4 paws down! Despite claims of "premium nutrition", there is not one ingredient appropriate for a dog's main meal among the first seven ingredients. And the product itself is far more expensive than many on the market. What exactly are we buying?

=====================

I don't know about you, but that turns my stomach and I would never feed my dog that kind of junk. It's a recipe for skin problems and poor health.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
That is one reason why I feed raw. It's the only way to be sure what he is eating.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
That's some good info, thanks. Pretty disgusting what some companies put in their pet food.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Going along with the theme of this thread, I belong to a holistic vet's site, Dr Karen Becker
and she has written two great posts lately, sharing that most of the nutritionists are backing
GRAIN BASED DIETS for dogs & cats and promoting/teaching this view to practicing Vets.

Some Vets are in it for money and some are in it for the love of the animals...make sure you
do your homework and find the Vets that love animals and do what is best for them, always,
and that have breed specific knowledge of your pet.

Greed is running the show at most of the Vet clinics NOT what is in the best interest for your
carnivorous pets...grains ARE NOT best for carnivores to consume and that goes for humans!

DawgPoundBully

Nov 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel
Thanks for the post! Glad that I learned how to read food labels. I know there are some out there that neglect to learn simple things as how to read the ingredients list but it will pay off in the long run.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Unfortunately a lot of it is ignorance by vets ... they are not taught nutrition and a lot fall for whatever sales story the rep comes in and tells them. They know no better and a lot don't take the time to research it. To Mr Joe Public out there on the street .... if their vet is telling them how wonderful a certain food is then they are going to believe them.

We have an absolutely wonderful foster who works for the rescue, and had their own bully with a lot of allergies. The vet prescribed science diet for the bully :madchair: ... and it actually worked. Of course now this foster thinks the Science Diet is the ONLY food a bully should be eating! Our problem right now is stopping them from recommending it to everybody without hurting their feelings!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.