Help Needed! Good Guide?

usmc03grunt

Nov 27, 2012
Port Orange, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cammie and Gunny
So our 13 week old Cammie is about to finish her first small bag of cheap dog food. It's time to get serious about her diet. We are looking for guidance on what is a good dry food to give her at a good cost? Also what is a good treat?

I've read that Nature Valley is the way to go. Also saw someone put a bone by them but we think she is too young. Is there something she can sit and enjoy for awhile like a bone that won't hurt her at this young age?

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Try a nylabone to chew on. There is a Dog Food Rating post here that can take a look at to see who makes what and how it compares to other brands. Try for a grain free they seem to work well for bullys. It can either be an All Life Stages food or a Puppy Food, whichever you prefer. Many bullys have problems with chicken based foods more than other kinds but each dog is unique. Just remember if issues with her health start, first thing to look at is her food and her reaction to it.

Here's a link to the pages about feeding

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/english-bulldog-nutrition/

Last edited:

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I too have done a ton of research on the dog food dilemma- it's overwhelming to say the least! I'm glad I started 3 weeks before Bogey came home ( we get hi today!!) anyway, I chose Fromm puppy for large breeds. Just reading all the testimonials on it and seeing the rating, I thought I would start there. As for the chewing item- I saw someone giving their bully a marrow bone!! They are WONDERFUL! You have to get them from a butcher and make sure they are big enough so she can't swallow them. The advice I got here was to freeze them and give it to them frozen. Don't cook them! My bullmastiff LOVED them! The marrow is good for them too! someone here on this site gives them frozen as a Saturday night treat!! Good luck! Camomile is SOOOO sweet!!!:)

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
BE sure to transition slowly when you change foods. Over a week to two weeks 3/4 old to 1/4 new for a couple days then half and half then 1/4 to 3/4

You can also add a tablespoon of 100% pumpkin to help avoid soft :poo:

Deer antlers make good chews too.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mine go nuts for marrow (soup) bones. I find them precut in packages of 4 to 6 in the meat department. I freeze the extras until I need them. Do not cook - give them to the dog raw. I've yet to see one that the dogs can break up and swallow. I just take them away and trash them periodically for safety sake.

Last edited:
OP
usmc03grunt

usmc03grunt

Nov 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Cammie and Gunny
Mine go nuts for marrow (soup) bones. I find them precut in packages of 4 to 6 in the meat department. I freeze the extras until I need them. Do not cook - give them to the dog raw. I've yet to see one that the dogs can break up and swallow. I just take them away and trash them periodically for safety sake.

How young can we give it to her? She is only 13 weeks but chews the "bleep" out of everything.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Deer antlers are about the best you can give them to chew on.... advance to elk antlers when they get bigger. However, HRH makes a terrible mess chewing hers. lol... Deer antlers are a good substiture for you hands and feet when they are a pup... they start to bit you, give the the antler.

OP
usmc03grunt

usmc03grunt

Nov 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Cammie and Gunny
Deer antlers are about the best you can give them to chew on.... advance to elk antlers when they get bigger. However, HRH makes a terrible mess chewing hers. lol... Deer antlers are a good substiture for you hands and feet when they are a pup... they start to bit you, give the the antler.

Where would I purchase those? In the woods! Haha

OP
usmc03grunt

usmc03grunt

Nov 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Cammie and Gunny
I too have done a ton of research on the dog food dilemma- it's overwhelming to say the least! I'm glad I started 3 weeks before Bogey came home ( we get hi today!!) anyway, I chose Fromm puppy for large breeds. Just reading all the testimonials on it and seeing the rating, I thought I would start there. As for the chewing item- I saw someone giving their bully a marrow bone!! They are WONDERFUL! You have to get them from a butcher and make sure they are big enough so she can't swallow them. The advice I got here was to freeze them and give it to them frozen. Don't cook them! My bullmastiff LOVED them! The marrow is good for them too! someone here on this site gives them frozen as a Saturday night treat!! Good luck! Camomile is SOOOO sweet!!!:)

Got the pup some marrow bones last night and frozen. Gave one to her. Can I let her just chew the same one the next day or is that bad cuz of the meat? Or just give her a new one?

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
I let my guys chew on the same ones for weeks and haven't had a problem. She should finish off the meat today, I would think.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
you can find deer antlers at some petco and if you have a food store there besides a chain. if not you can order them on amazon or somewhere online. sarahs loves hers.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.