General Question Who should I listen to? My vet or the breeder?

M

mabel lou

Mabel just turned 8mths old and Thelma is 6yrs old. Now her breeder seen a pic of Mabel and contacted me and said she was a little on the thin side when she seen this pic of her. Immediately I went in and spoke with her vet about what she had said because my vet is very experienced with EBDs thus my reason for going to her all of these years. The vet said she is absolutely perfect and to continue what I am doing by making sure she is getting 3 cups a day and she is well aware of her food allergy of some sort. I contacted the breeder and told her I just had Mabel in the vet on October 4th and at that time her weight was like exactly where her vet wanted her to be and and how the vet said at Mabels age"we do not want her to put on fast weight because it is bad for her bones and could cause issues later down the road for her so I spoke to the breeder about her concerns of Mabels size and she said it could have been the way the pic was taken as far as how Mabel was sitting in the pic and that maybe she was going to be a smaller EBD. Now both her and Thelma clearly have different builds as seen in my pictures I always post. Thelma is more of a solid short stocky build with a big head and when she stands she gives the look of nothing but pure muscles jumping off of her but Mabel is just now starting to fill out but has a ways to go to see her end result. My vet is well known for knowing EBDs in our town and she is costly but she knows them inside and out.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Herman is 9 months and has always had 2 1/4 c per day. Except for once when I experimented with 2 1/2 cups per day :) I dont think they can eat too much when they are young because they just use it to grow, but you dont want to overfeed them because its not good for digestion. Feed her 2- 2 1/2 c per day and if she seems like she can eat more, giver her a little more.

Dont forget you supplement that with snacks as well and that all counts too. You can keep a bag of frozen organic blueberries and that's a good snack if she gets depressed that she cant have grapes any longer :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with all the comments above, all good advice, also agree stop the grapes, they're not good for dogs. There is a list of foods in the nutrition forum that lists foods that are toxic or poison to dogs. They include grapes, chocolate, and onions. My 2 are 9 months old , and I fed them 1 cup three times a day until they were 7 months old, and then I switched them to adult food, they now eat Fromms Beef Fritata, and I give them 1 1/2 cups twice a day, they are still getting 3 cups, as they are still puppies , and they don't weigh too much, my female is 32 lbs, and my male is 34 lbs. my vet is happy with the way they look.

M

mabel lou

my girls get no treats whatsoever, sounds cruel but I am just trying to get strictly on what she (Mabel) is tolerating when it comes to any foods of any sort. Once I understand the foods she can have then I will let her have treats which I know she will probably be very happy :)

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
While I tend to not think of NOT listening to the vet's advice, I can't help but question if most vet's just think of EB's being fat and lazy and maybe that's why yours isn't wanting to increase her food. She's young and still growing and I would think that she needs all the nutrition she can get.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.