General Question What kind of food?

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I am about out of Lola's Fromm gold puppy formula and I want to switch to fromm grain free beef but it is pricey and I was wondering if anyone has heard of Nutri source food and how good is it? Does anyone know a brand as good as fromm grain free without chicken but better priced? Thank you!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm not familiar with ,Nutri source, but some other good foods are Go Natural Grain Free, and Avoderm, but I'm not sure if they have a chicken free formula or not. I switched to Fromms Beef Fritata, when my 2 were 7 months old, they had been on Royal Canin from the breeder, then I switched to Go Natural, but my female Blossom didn't tolerate it very well, so I switched back to Royal , then to the Fromms Beef, while I was switching and researching and trying foods, I did notice that most of the higher quality foods, like the 6 star rated ones were all similar in price, there wasn't much of a difference, but I also noticed with these foods that they have less poop, and less smelly stools, which means they are probably digesting more of the nutrients they eat, and getting more nutrition from its. Also because its better quality , you don't have to feed as much, and therefore save there as well. I figure if you feed a better quality food to your babies, you will save money in the long run, in vet bills due to better health, and your bully will be healthier and live longer. I compare it to us as well, if we eat better and healthier foods, we will be healthier in the long run, and if we buy better quality, like organic foods, we will reap better health in the long run.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
She does well on fromm puppy the pink bag and it has chicken and isn't grain free but I have read that later on they can get a allergy to chicken and grains so I was going to switch to grain free and beef. They do have a fromm four star food that is in a black bag and it is just like the pink bag but for adults and I was going to order that but not sure if thats what I should do. Im not sure if I should switch to grain free now that she isn't a tiny pup or wait tell she has a problem then switch? Right now its not broke so im not sure if I should switch or keep on the chicken and grain?

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
We went from puppy, to beef friatta, to a screw up in ordering (sigh) and surf and turf grain free. All Fromms. Gunny didn't appear to have sensitivities to the puppy, but I can certainly tell the difference in the shade of pink on her face (not bright or of concern but noticeable) and wrinkles more damp and mild tear stains. I can't wait for this bag to be done to go back to beef.

While I completely understand the need to save money, my purse cries every time I buy dog food. I would say overall you have the potential to have significantly more costly issues if she does have any issues, both in treatment and continually having to try other foods. Worse, if I remember correctly from another post you were considering insurance but didn't have it yet. (I could be wrong). If she does have issues *ouch* in both the costs and creating Pre-existing conditions.

All that being said, you have no idea if she has sensitivities. Heck she could have issues with beef! So it's a crap shoot. I say go with your gut.

You could always try the different versions in smaller bag.

But let us know your decision and how Lola transitions to her new food!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
She does well on fromm puppy the pink bag and it has chicken and isn't grain free but I have read that later on they can get a allergy to chicken and grains so I was going to switch to grain free and beef. They do have a fromm four star food that is in a black bag and it is just like the pink bag but for adults and I was going to order that but not sure if thats what I should do. Im not sure if I should switch to grain free now that she isn't a tiny pup or wait tell she has a problem then switch? Right now its not broke so im not sure if I should switch or keep on the chicken and grain?

I would just go right to the Beef Frittata , but the great thing about Fromm... you can switch flavors at anytime without the slow transition. As much as my girl loved her chicken as a puppy... the allergy showed it's ugly head at around 1 year old

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Me and Hubby talked about it and we are just going ot go with fromm beef grain free. Im not going to take the chance with other food because she does so well on fromm. She loves this food so hopefully she will love the beef flavor too! I spend all last night researching other food and went all over the web and I always leaned towards fromm so just going to follow my gut on that. Thank you!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Great, I'm glad you were able to find a food you like, both my guys are on Fromms Beef, and they love it, and have had no problems, their stools are normal, firm but soft, they go regularly and I find their poop doesn't smell as bad ( don't get me wrong it still smells, t is poop after all lol) but it smells much less. Geez I don't this much thought into my own food. Lol, what we do or wouldn't do for or babies. My son calls me the crazy dog lady. Lol

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
[MENTION=50]vicki[/MENTION]nggirl-I am a crazy bulldog lady! I dont put any where near this much thought into my own food or anyone i cook for! But Its better to be safe than sorry!

I ordered a bag of the Fromm puppy last night and im going to give her one more bag of that before I switch to grain free. By the time I get through the bag I just opened and the bag on the way she will be 9 months so I will switch her then. I wanted to give her a little bit more time on puppy because it has more fat in it and she is still a pup so wanted to give her a little bit more time on that. Since a lot of bullies on here have allergies to chicken and grain im not going to take the risk. Thanks!

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I guess I should ask also, right now I am giving Lola 3 cups a day one at each meal. So is that to much or not enough? ALso i ahve read that most give 2 cups to 2 1/2 cup a day once they are grown at what age to i start that and change to two meals a day?

anthony fiasco

Nov 15, 2012
Toronto, ON
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Im 9 days in with winston and what a challenge! I am loving him BUT very worried and concerned with his food. The breeder had him on purina and i tried to switch to fromm puppy gold in pink bag. Didnt seem to good for him SO i switched to acana the lamb one i believe and i notice even more runny/squirting poop and more pink in the face and ears. Can someone PLEASE tell what food they think is BEST for an 8/9 week baby bully? Id appreciate it as i am beyond worried now for my little guy...

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I love the Fromms brand of foods, they are a 6 star food, they have a Puppy Formula, called Fromms Puppy Gold, and their adult foods are also for all stages. They have 4 flavours. I would try the Puppy Formula and if he tolerates it, keep him on it until he's 6 or 7 months old, then switch to one of the adult formulas. I have my 2 on Fromms Beef Frittata, because my female is allergic to chicken and corn, and grains. I've heard a lot of good things about Blue Buffalo too, but am not sure if they have a puppy formula. The best people to ask questions regarding foods are Desertskybulldogs , and Cowsmom , they have a lot of experience in this department. Good luck, hope you find a food that works or you. I switched my guys 4 times before I found one that they tolerated. Did you transition the food slowly before switching? You should mix 2/3 of the old food with 1/3 of the new food, and increase slowly until its all new food, so their tummies can adjust to the new food. Otherwise they can get diarrhea.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Me and Hubby talked about it and we are just going ot go with fromm beef grain free. Im not going to take the chance with other food because she does so well on fromm. She loves this food so hopefully she will love the beef flavor too! I spend all last night researching other food and went all over the web and I always leaned towards fromm so just going to follow my gut on that. Thank you!

good idea... even though it is more $$$ it pays off in less vet visits. I had Banks in for her annual yesterday and my vet actually said it to me -- since you found the right food for her we really never see you anymore

M

mabel lou

I just received the pamplet on both nutri source and pure vita both, I am looking into more of a holistic dog food, let me know if you decide to use it and how your dog reacted to it.

anthony fiasco

Nov 15, 2012
Toronto, ON
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thanks so much for the response. Is the fromm puppy kind grain free as well?

I love the Fromms brand of foods, they are a 6 star food, they have a Puppy Formula, called Fromms Puppy Gold, and their adult foods are also for all stages. They have 4 flavours. I would try the Puppy Formula and if he tolerates it, keep him on it until he's 6 or 7 months old, then switch to one of the adult formulas. I have my 2 on Fromms Beef Frittata, because my female is allergic to chicken and corn, and grains. I've heard a lot of good things about Blue Buffalo too, but am not sure if they have a puppy formula. The best people to ask questions regarding foods are Desertskybulldogs , and Cowsmom , they have a lot of experience in this department. Good luck, hope you find a food that works or you. I switched my guys 4 times before I found one that they tolerated. Did you transition the food slowly before switching? You should mix 2/3 of the old food with 1/3 of the new food, and increase slowly until its all new food, so their tummies can adjust to the new food. Otherwise they can get diarrhea.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
No the puppy isnt grain free.

Most Reactions

Members online