Dr. Kinnear's Food Recommendation

dashghahary

Sep 12, 2010
Ramsey, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Leia
So, based on the vet recommendations that people in here had posted, I made an appointment to see Dr. Kinnear. From what people have said, he even owns bullies himself.

I was surprised to hear from him that he recommends adult food for my puppy of almost four months - specifically Purina Pro Plan and Science Diet Light. He just felt these were a better choice than the more expensive choices. I have no problem paying a higher price and didn't mention I was looking for a less expensive alternative.

He was well aware of the brand I've been feeding her, Wellness Large Breed Puppy Health. He said that it could cause the runs, which on some days, it does seem to do so.

So, I'm just wondering what everyone feels about this recommendation.

On an unrelated note, I'm very happy with Dr. Kinnear and will definitely be going back. It was fast to get in and out, and his prices were less than I currently pay. Thanks for the recommendation!!

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
I'm not familiar with the vet but science diet has bi-products and fillers which is a no,no. It has a higher tendency to cause allergic reactions in bullie breeds due to the ingredients. With the purina pro plan, I heard a vet say that before too, I even had one recommend Pedigree. I would check the ingredients in the purina but I am almost positive it has bi-products and fillers also. Personally I would check the ingredients in anything even if it is the high rated food. Find out what his tummy tolerates best whether its chicken,duck,salmon,ect and if he needs grain free. Then I would choose a food based on that because what is good for one dog may not be good for another. Just food for thought Bi-products and Fillers are ALWAYS BAD!! Hope this helps

Last edited:

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
In my experience vets don't seem too focused on nutrition, they are more likely to medicate a problem than try diet changes. They recommend that Hills crap they sell and its terrible stuff! I would like to think thats just how they are wired (more clinical) not that they would prefer to make money on the food they carry than recommend a better food. I really can't understand why a vet would recommend Purina or Science Diet, they are both one star foods. If Wellness is causing runs in your pup I would say just try another high quality food. Wellness is a very good food but what works for one bully may not another. Remember to always switch slowly, I do 1/4 new food and 3/4 old for the first 2 days. Then half and half for 2 days. Then 3/4 new and 1/4 old for 2 days. We all have our favorites, I like Fromm Surf & Turf and it seems like lots of people on here are feeding it now too. I used to feed Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Salmon, not quite as good as Fromm but still a good food and was ghreat for my Samson's allergies.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I agree with the above posts, I would change to a higher quality food that works for your pup. There are SO many that are good foods out there and some not nearly as expensive as others also. Heck my breeder who is a very good breeder had my boy on eukanuba and thats what she feeds all her bullies even, go and figure. I totally thought that was a good food at the time since I hadnt actually used "good" foods for our dogs growing up. Who knew the diff back then right? Now with internet you can research everything and learn so much and thats why I think the dog foods are taking off the way they are now. Just use the same proteins that you have found to work so far as a start with whatever food you choose. Will help you to figure out what works and doesnt I think.

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
The foods the vet recommended are garbage. If your pup gets diarrhea, I highly doubt Wellness is the cause.

Here is a secret, if you take good care of your dog- feed them good quality food that boosts the immune system- they stay out of the vets office. So vets do not recommend good food because they cannot rob and rape you of your money that way.

Sorry I get all bent out of shape about this. But it makes me angry. And to recommend two of the WORST dog foods on the planet? I'm disgusted.

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
The foods the vet recommended are garbage. If your pup gets diarrhea, I highly doubt Wellness is the cause.

Here is a secret, if you take good care of your dog- feed them good quality food that boosts the immune system- they stay out of the vets office. So vets do not recommend good food because they cannot rob and rape you of your money that way.

Sorry I get all bent out of shape about this. But it makes me angry. And to recommend two of the WORST dog foods on the planet? I'm disgusted.
I LOVE THAT!!! I agree with you totally!! I told my vet that I alt with raw and homemake my food on occasions and he told me to give them pedigree!!! I never went back to that vet.

OP
D

dashghahary

Sep 12, 2010
Ramsey, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Leia
Thank you all for the comments and suggestions. I appreciate it. I'm going to stick with Wellness for now and maybe try that Fromm that Samson's Mom recommended. It sounds good. I have no problem paying for my baby! The thing I don't have clarification on is this... in addition to a high quality food, are we supposed to be looking for low protein food or foods with no grain. I keep reading things that conflict, or maybe I'm just spazzing out while reading it.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Protein between 25-30% is great- but with the higher grade foods, you feed less per day so...... I usually go with the salmon formula on the high grade foods, less protien. But then I may switch and give them a day or a meal of a diff. kind....... and yes, grain free is the best way, but many bullies have no problem with grains. For those with no grain or allergy issues I recommend Avoderm because it does wonders for the coat.

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
Vets usally get a kick back from Hills and Purina, so they will recommend it as it is a steady stream of income for them and they don't really have to do anything for it. My Bertie has been on Wellness since I got here and she has never had diarrhea from it. I do agree that what works for one dog doesn't always work for another, but I would still never feed Purina or Hills Science Diet. Go for a premium food and you will see a difference.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
My vet also recommended something that was available from the pet store next to his place. I followed all his advice except for that one. I guess he doesn't understand that us bully owners are dedicated to nutrition!

laurentourville

Wrinkle Wiper
Mar 23, 2010
Rockingham, VT
Bulldog(s) Names
Horse
In addition to all of the info others have posted, you should contact Linda, she is (in my mind) the queen of bully food. She helped us find the best food for Horse. I highly suggest contacting her, [EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected]--503-377-9640[/EMAIL], she has all of the insider information about dog food. She is also an EBN member,@%1; [MENTION=4]Lindathedogsmaid[/MENTION]@%1; is her member name. Also, be straightforward with your vet about what you know about dog food, my vet finally admitted to us that switching Horse's food made a huge difference in his skin, coat, face, etc.. (although she never would've suggested a better food as a solution to his allergies...$$$).

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.