Help Needed! Mushy stool

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Hi everyone, i'm a new bully owner and am trying to nail down little Henry's feeding amounts.
-I brought him home 8 days ago. He was on antiobiotics up until last Wednesday when i picked him up. His stool has always been on the soft side and just a little runny at the end of him doing his business. The only times it looks decent is when i've given him a bit of pumpkin in the morning feeding. I've done that on 3 different occasions.
-I put out my first post a week ago and some people thought initially the soft stools could have just been caused by the new environment and the antiobiotics in his system.
-I've mainly been feeding him 1/3 cup of IAMS puppy (per breeder) -i know iknow, i will switch him at some point but thought i shouldn't change him just yet
-The pumpkin didn't make his stool hard but made it a lot less mushy but not runny at all
-I've been mainly feeding 1/3 cup 3 times/day with a tblspoon of yogurt
-I thought i should increase to a heaping 1/3 cup and soon a 1/2 cup 3 times per day
-It seems like when i do try the heaping 1/3 cup, the next morning his stool is very soft and he poops a lot. I didn't use the pumpkin this morning btw.
-Should i be using the pumpkin every morning for a while or should i just keep with 1/3 cup 3 times/day
-another note to make is he was at my apt. for the first 4 days and has been with me at my parents house this week.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I put about 1 tbsp of pumpkin in every meal, every day for the past couple of weeks as Herman has been battling soft poop as well.

When Herman was a puppy, his daily meals were 1 or 1 1/4 cup food (he got a total of 2 1/4 cups per day) 2x per day, 1 tsp plain whole milk yogurt, 2 tbsp of pumpkin.

It can get a little confusing because:
-- you want to add yogurt since he was on antibiotics, but then yogurt can cause the soft poop.
-- pumpkin is making the poop firmer, but isnt really helping the cause of the soft poop.
-- he is still a little stressed (lots of changes in 8 days), so you dont know if that is causing the poop or not

You can try reducing the amount of yogurt you're giving since that is about 3 tbsp per day he's getting.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I agree it hasnt been long yet for him to be situated. Could also be the food. I have gone thru many foods and some (even the better ones) can cause a pup to have loose stools. Sounds like you arent feeding much but if your baby is small I am not one for input since I have never had a bully pup.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Usually soft poop is from too much food, 1/3 cup 3 times a day doesn't sound like too much, but for him it might be, or his system doesn't like the food.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We used to feed Bacon pumpkin with every meal as well, the soft stool my be due to a not great quality of food as well

OP
K

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
I'm going to lessen the amount of yogurt for a couple days and see if there is any change in the stool. If no improvement, could i go ahead and start switching his food. I want to use Fromm, being that it's recommended by most here as well as my best friend who has a 2 year old bully who is doing great on it. If i can switch, do you recommend fromm puppy or one of the life stages.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I'm going to lessen the amount of yogurt for a couple days and see if there is any change in the stool. If no improvement, could i go ahead and start switching his food. I want to use Fromm, being that it's recommended by most here as well as my best friend who has a 2 year old bully who is doing great on it. If i can switch, do you recommend fromm puppy or one of the life stages.
i think most feed puppy food till 6 months of age but ive heard some have used all stages food as early as 4 months. id get the puppy one.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.