General Question Switching to Fromm... am I feeding enough?

bulliemama

Oct 26, 2012
Philadelphia
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin 8/20/12, Winston 10/23/03-7/5/12
Hi all,

I started the switch from California Natural Chicken & Rice Puppy to Fromm 4* Beef Frittata (75% CN/25% Fromm) for 2 meals today. So far, so good. Nice firm stools and much less than before! :2thumbs:

Franklin is 14 weeks now and I've only been feeding him 1 1/2 cups of the CN per day, 1/2 cup at each meal. Everytime I tried to feed even a little more, his poops were soft. Now I'm totally confused as to how much Fromm I should be feeding once we are complete switched over in a week or so. He's only 17 lbs right now. Thought he would be more. Maybe that's just because I'm comparing him to Winston who was 68 lbs fully grown. Sorry for rambling, I'm just trying to figure out how much a 14 week old puppy should be getting fed with an all stages food. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you ;)

franklin.jpg

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I would try to follow the package instructions with 2 cups a day and see how well he adapts to it. Mine is 17 weeks old and weights 20 lbs and that's what I give her. I am also feeding her Fromm Beef Fritatta.

OP
bulliemama

bulliemama

Oct 26, 2012
Philadelphia
Bulldog(s) Names
I would try to follow the package instructions with 2 cups a day and see how well he adapts to it. Mine is 17 weeks old and weights 20 lbs and that's what I give her. I am also feeding her Fromm Beef Fritatta.

I'll do that once we are switched over completely. He doesn't do well with even a 1/4 cup extra of the CN. Thanks Izzy's Mom!!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ive heard its 3/4 cup 3 times a day for a puppy but its really what your puppy will tolerate. if more than 1/2 cup makes the stool soft then you cant feed more. you may find that with a different food you maybe able to feed more without soft :poo: keep us updated.

OP
bulliemama

bulliemama

Oct 26, 2012
Philadelphia
Bulldog(s) Names
ive heard its 3/4 cup 3 times a day for a puppy but its really what your puppy will tolerate. if more than 1/2 cup makes the stool soft then you cant feed more. you may find that with a different food you maybe able to feed more without soft :poo: keep us updated.

Will do, thanks cowsmom! ;)

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Fromm is very good food and when we switch Bacon over to it he ate a lot less then what he was eating prior, I would use the stool as an indicator. If it's solid at 1.5 cups a day and Franklin doesn't look skinny/unhealthy I would stick with that for the time being

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I feed my Franklin 2 cups of Fromm beef frittata an a cup of green beans a day he is doing so much better on the Fromm he's been on it for about a month now his fur is nice his tear stains are going away I'm very happy with it he just turned 7 months on thanksgiving he 50lbs. So if you don't think he's getting enough put some green beans in with his food it fills them up but keeps them skinny cause usually at that age should be 2 or 3 cups but if he gets soft poo I would try the green beans good luck oh I love the name by the way an he's very cute

OP
bulliemama

bulliemama

Oct 26, 2012
Philadelphia
Bulldog(s) Names
@Baconator thank you. You're right about the Fromm, it's a great food. Franklin's stool has improved greatly and he absolutely loves it. I just hope he doesn't have any yeast issues in the future. I've been adding a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to his water once a day to help prevent this. Poor guy already had yeast infection in his ears and with daily cleaning and medication it's finally better. Just hope the potatoes don't cause any problems. Keeping my fingers crossed.

[MENTION=5480]loveabully[/MENTION] I so hope the Fromm clears up the tear stains. I've been cleaning them regularly, just need to get him away from the chicken, I think. I will try the green beans once we are fully switched over to Fromm. Franklin's nickname is Frank the Tank too, one of many, lol :D

OP
bulliemama

bulliemama

Oct 26, 2012
Philadelphia
Bulldog(s) Names
Just wanted to thank everyone for your help. We ran out of the California Natural a little earlier than anticipated but Franklin was doing well on the Fromm so we didn't have any issues. He was completely switched over in a week and his :poo: remained firm. I still can't feed him more than 1/2 cup per meal 3 x's a day without it getting soft so I'm wondering if I should do slight increases, or is 1 1/2 cups per day enough for a 15 week old pup? Also, how long until his tear stains clear up? I've been cleaning daily and they have improved slightly but I was wondering if theres more I can do or just wait it out.

Thanks again!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Just wanted to thank everyone for your help. We ran out of the California Natural a little earlier than anticipated but Franklin was doing well on the Fromm so we didn't have any issues. He was completely switched over in a week and his :poo: remained firm. I still can't feed him more than 1/2 cup per meal 3 x's a day without it getting soft so I'm wondering if I should do slight increases, or is 1 1/2 cups per day enough for a 15 week old pup? Also, how long until his tear stains clear up? I've been cleaning daily and they have improved slightly but I was wondering if theres more I can do or just wait it out.

Thanks again!

Increase just one of his 3 meals, then if its good do the next too, ect.

Since they are stains it takes time for them to fade, let us know how it works out for you :)

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: my Franklin has been on Fromm for about a month an a half. I just wipe his tear stains once a day I'm not doing anything else an there going away its great I see a big difference already It's crazy usually it takes about 2 months to really see a difference in any food but its really going well I'm just glad I finally found a food that works all around for him I hope It's the same for you good luck

OP
bulliemama

bulliemama

Oct 26, 2012
Philadelphia
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you all. Franklin is doing great on the Fromm so far. I increased the food just a little bit and we have firm poop, yay! I also just found some treats in our local pet store that seem to be agreeing with him as well. They are by Buffalo Blue, Pumpkin & Cinnamon Health Bars. Grain free and only 12% protein. I only give Franklin tiny little pieces throughout the day but these are probably great for larger bullies as well. I'll probably try the Fromm treats when I place a future order but I believe these will last a long time since he's not even getting a whole bar throughout the day. So once again, thanks for all your help EBN!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thank you all. Franklin is doing great on the Fromm so far. I increased the food just a little bit and we have firm poop, yay! I also just found some treats in our local pet store that seem to be agreeing with him as well. They are by Buffalo Blue, Pumpkin & Cinnamon Health Bars. Grain free and only 12% protein. I only give Franklin tiny little pieces throughout the day but these are probably great for larger bullies as well. I'll probably try the Fromm treats when I place a future order but I believe these will last a long time since he's not even getting a whole bar throughout the day. So once again, thanks for all your help EBN!

Glad to hear its going well!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
aw thats awsome im glad its going so well for you with the fromm. :2thumbs:

OP
bulliemama

bulliemama

Oct 26, 2012
Philadelphia
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] Do you think I should be increasing the food a little more yet? He's getting 3/4 cup now 3 times a day. He will be 17 weeks old tomorrow and weighs 22 lbs. Thanks!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.