Help Needed! I need some input....not sure which direction to go in

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
We currently have Penny on Earthborn Holistic, Meadow Feast. She's been on it since Spring. Since she has been on it, we have had the bouts with hives. However, it's hard to tell if it's seasonal or food related. The first break out was in May right after we mowed the grass and she had been outside playing in her pool. We did ok most of the summer. We've had a few hives on & off since Labor Day weekend. We had a big breakout in October that our vet thought was allergy related (gave us 3 weeks of antihistamines which seemed to help & said that should get us through the worst of allergy season). We had another big breakout in early November when we picked her up from boarding with facial swelling. Again, that's hard to tell given the environment. Over the weekend, she is broken out again with just a few. They seem to come on her right haunch first, and then go from there.

She has watery eyes, is licking her paws, a pink face, and really bad gas lately. We are giving her benadryl which doesn't really seem to be helping, but it also isn't getting any worse. We have had good frosts for the last two weeks, so I was hoping that would be enough to kill any lingering fall related allergies. I have washed all of her bedding, bathed her, and we wipe her paws & belly off after coming inside.

I am thinking maybe it's time to move on from this food.

I am looking at the following options: the Earthborn Great Plains (venison - 34% protein), NVI Beef & Lamb (37% protein), or Nature's Logic - probably Beef (31%) since it has less protein than the venison (38%). The EB Meadofeast she is currently on is lamb based & 26% protein which is why I started there. She is very active, so I don't worry about the protein too much.

Any suggestions? I was a little iffy on the NVI Beef & Lamb since her current food is lamb based. Maybe a change in protein would be good.

Any ideas, experience with any of these foods, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We are looking for a new vet & I'm thinking of just asking for the allergy profile to be ran.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sounds like seasonal, but if it's still doing it, maybe try a food change. I think I would try the Earthborn Great Plains first to see if it helps. Maybe just trying a different protein will do the trick.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
It sounds more like environmental allergies, since she mostly gets the hives after being outside, and not all the time, and it seems to come and go at different months. My female has allergies to chicken based foods, corn and grain based foods, we switched her 4 times, and am now feeding her Fromms Beef Fritata, which she is doing well on. No more pink ears, face or chin, and normal poops. I'm not familiar with any of the foods you mentioned, so can't recommend them or not. Maybe someone here can give you more information about those foods. Good luck. It's just trial and error and finding a food that works and is tolerated. Takes time though because you have to change their food gradually, and it takes about a month for the old food to leave their system.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Sounds seasonal/environmental to me to passed on the infrequent nature of it. When you boarded her did you give the kennel your food and treats to give her? Is it possible she had a reaction to something they gave her assuming you didn't give them food and treats? If the benedryl isn't working I know other people on here give their bullies zyrtek but I'm not sure what the dosage is.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
[MENTION=2594]MissPennyLue[/MENTION] Just as an FYI - Earthborn Great Plains feast contains lamb. So if you want to try that out, make sure her allergies aren't due to the lamb. I switched from that to Primitive Natural (turkey, chicken and whitefish) to get away from the lamb which Herman might be a little sensitive to.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok it does seem seasonal but doesnt mean that a food change cant be done just to be sure. i would try maybe the primitive natural or the natures logic beef. fromm beef fritatta is also a popular one. let us know what you decide and how she is doing.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Did you think about NVI LID Turkey? I'm not sure if she does well on Turkey but I've had good luck with it with my super sensitive boys, who incidentally, also had hives on Earthborne, that I assumed were from environmental allergies.

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Thanks for the input everyone.

I didn't notice the lamb in the EB Great Plains feast & bought a small bag tonight. I'll be taking it back so that I can make some eliminations here.

[MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] - I have avoided turkey bc she didn't do great with chicken. How about you?

Thanks [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION].

I feel like if it were all environmental I would be seeing some changes with the changes in weather/seasons. Things are really getting any better. I feel so bad when she's itching or jumps up & runs across the room bc she had an itch. We'll get to the bottom of it. Will keep you posted.

Thanks again everyone! I Love EBN!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.