General Question Having some food problems for 13 week old pup. Help needed please!

bulliemama

Oct 26, 2012
Philadelphia
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin 8/20/12, Winston 10/23/03-7/5/12
Hi everyone,

Franklin has been eating California Natural Chicken Meal and Brown Rice Puppy formula since we brought him home but he started to develop itchy ears, paws and tear stains so I was concerned he may have a chicken allergy and decided to switch him to DVP Natural Balance LID Lamb Meal and Brown Rice. I was only adding less than a quarter of the amount of the new food with the old for the past 3 days but now he started getting really stinky farts which my vet says is no good, so this morning, I just fed him the California Natural and he had a really soft stool shortly after. He had a appointment this morning for his boosters so I had his ears checked and he has a yeast infection in his ears. Now I'm thinking it may not be a good idea to switch him to anything with potato in it. I'm also concerned about too much protein as many of the recommended brands seem to be really high. I was told a bullie should have no more than 26% protein. I'm gonna keep him on the California Natural for now but would like to get him on a better brand soon and I'm completely baffled at this point after reading so many things. :cry: And advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Here is Franklin at his appt this morning. My little meatball is now 16.6 lbs.

franklin-vet.jpg

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Oh my cuteness! he is totally giving you the stink eye! Love that picture :)

All the symtpoms he is having is pointing to him not agreeing with the food. Here is the link for food reccomendations http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/content.php?r=219-Dog-Food-Ratings

I used the link when I was switching from Solid Gold Lamb/Rice he had horrible gas, coat was rough, red bloodshot eyes and just stunk. We switched him to a 6 star rated food and its great! All those symtpoms gone and no farts at all unless hsis grandfather gives him a meatball! I now feed Fromm Beef Frittata no chicken adn no grains.

OP
bulliemama

bulliemama

Oct 26, 2012
Philadelphia
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks ChanelnBrutus! I was thinking that it's gotta be the food also. I was looking into Fromm Beef Frittata but noticed it has 30% protein and potatoes in it (ingredients 4 and 8). Just concerned about more yeast issues in the future. Was thinking of trying Canadae All Life Stages next as that was listed as a 5 star food and I can purchase it locally. This food thing is all so confusing :ashamed:

DesertBum

Sep 11, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Xena
We are feeding our 13 week old girl Fromm Puppy, with a squirt of salmon oil. This is what her breeder was feeding her, and I'm always one that figures if it ain't broke don't fix it. Franklin is a very good looking young man there, but don't look to happy about that table :bat:

OP
bulliemama

bulliemama

Oct 26, 2012
Philadelphia
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks DesertBum, I think I'm gonna try Fromm next. He just had his 2nd meal today, only the California Natural and stool was back to normal and firm so my guess is it was definitely the Natural Balance. Here's Frankin in the car on the way to the vet... much happier there lol.

car-riding.jpg

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
For the yeast, add some vinegar (most here use Apple Cider Vinegar) to his water - work your way up to about a tablespoon per gallon. If he doesn't like it, cut back and creep it back up. My Zelda (RIP) had a long term relationship with allergies and yeast. When I found the right food and started adding the vinegar to her water those problems pretty much went away and stayed away.

OP
bulliemama

bulliemama

Oct 26, 2012
Philadelphia
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you, I just went ahead and ordered the Fromm Beef Frittata and I will try the apple cider vinegar in his water. Hopefully this will all work for Franklin. I hate to see him with these troubles at only 13 weeks old! :down:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Thanks DesertBum, I think I'm gonna try Fromm next. He just had his 2nd meal today, only the California Natural and stool was back to normal and firm so my guess is it was definitely the Natural Balance. Here's Frankin in the car on the way to the vet... much happier there lol.

View attachment 31049

Certainly does sound like the new food didn't agree with him. I'm a fromm feeder too!! The 4* range of Fromm food is an all-stages food and so suitable from puppy to senior. When I got Linus he was on the fromm puppy but as my other two were on the Beef Frittata, I just switched him to that once the puppy food was almost gone.

Yes ... food is very confusing, but we like the Beef because as [MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION] already said, it is both chicken and grain free. At the time our Maggie was allergic to chicken which is what directed us to that food.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Thank you, I just went ahead and ordered the Fromm Beef Frittata and I will try the apple cider vinegar in his water. Hopefully this will all work for Franklin. I hate to see him with these troubles at only 13 weeks old! :down:

With Fromm having higher protein you will feed less than the other foods bc it's better food! I started Brutus at 7 months with 1.5 to 2 cups a day 2x a day! Others do 1 cup 2x a day but it depends!

Make sure to do a slow switch over a out 2 weeks when changing the food! You can also add some canned pumpkins (not pie fling) to dinner. I love love Fromm for our bullies :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
bulliemama

bulliemama

Oct 26, 2012
Philadelphia
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks ChanelnBrutus. I will definitely go slow with the switch. Ironically, fed Franklin his California Natural last night for dinner and again this morning and poops are completely firm again and no more stinky farts. Added 1/8 tbsp of Angel Eyes to dinner last night and his tear stains are already clearing up. Haven't seen him licking his paws yet but I'm keeping an eye out for that. And of course the ears are getting better but that's probably because of the cleaning and medication I've been putting in since the vet prescribed it yesterday. The Fromm shipped this morning so I'll see how he does over the next couple of days before switching.

Thanks again for your advice!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.