Help Needed! Stomach Bloating

Kt126126

Nov 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby
Hello,

I'm new to the site, so sorry if this is a repeat question.

I'm a new owner of an English Bulldog Abby. We adopted Abby from a rescue in April. Ever since we adopted Abby we've had issues. Manly skin issues. We went from vet to vet spending thousands of dollars with no treatment. Not fun at all : ( . 3 weeks ago Abby started acting really weird and started getting sick and I noticed a plastic in her vomit. She was rushed into surgery to remove all the plastic from her stomach another few thousand dollars. To our knowledge we have no idea where the plastic came from or what it was. Its been three weeks and Abby has healed nicely. We requested she be put on Atopica, which is working great!

I'm not sure if I'm really paranoid because my stress levels with Abby are thru the roof, or because something is going on. We have exhausted our saving fund and I can't really afford to help her out much more. Its killing me because I love her so much.

This morning she woke up earlier (not normal) and wanted to go out. We put her out and she was acting really weird. She came upstairs after I called her a few times (strange). She started to drink her water. After she was done drinking her water her stomach bloated. My first question, is this normal? I know the bread takes in air when drinking/eating because of the flat face. She releases the air and her belly goes down. I'm just really nervous this is a sign she might of ate something she shouldn't of again. After she drank her water she rushed outside again and went to the bathroom. It was normal a little on the soft side. After that she went back to sleep until I got up for work. I feed her and she ate everything without a problem. She went back up stairs however and started to bury herself in my shoe closet (not normal at all). I should mention she has an ear infection and I'm in the process of treating it. I know its bothering her because she cries when I place the solution in. So I'm assuming that's also why she is acting weird. I'm just really nervous about her stomach bloating and I want to make sure she didn't eat anything else.

Thanks for any and all advice in advance.

- Katie

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Dear Katie, I'm so sorry you've had all this issues with your Abby, certainly
not fun at all!

What are you feeding her?... skin & ear problems are so often tied into allergies,
food and/or environmental.

I will certainly pray over these issues to cease so y'all can just deal with the fun
part...loving each other.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=7116]Kt126126[/MENTION], you are indeed such a devoted and loving mama to your Abby. Well, her bloating is concerning to me mainly b/c I 've read/heard that bloat is not a good sign and needs to be evaluated by a vet. I know you've been in/out vets and it's been financially draining but have you considered Care Credit? many EBN members have this. For the bloat tho, I would definitely want Abby to get checked. Please keep us updated!

OP
Kt126126

Kt126126

Nov 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby
Thanks. I could just cry my eye's out I'm soo upset and worried about her all the time. This is crazy. I'm drained. I've never had so many problems with a dog in my life!

I feed Abby blue buffalo wilderness grain free. I gave Abby a bath, and I'm afraid I caused the ear infection by getting water in her her. She is getting treated for that.

So bloating after drinking isn't normal?

I heard of this credit care its a credit card with no interest correct? If she has to get another surgery that's probably what I'll have to do. I'm at the point that I feel like I'm such a terrible care taker maybe giving her back to the rescue would be best. I've done everything I could to give her a good life. I have no idea what I could do more. Other then tie her to my waist.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thanks. I could just cry my eye's out I'm soo upset and worried about her all the time. This is crazy. I'm drained. I've never had so many problems with a dog in my life!

I feed Abby blue buffalo wilderness grain free. I gave Abby a bath, and I'm afraid I caused the ear infection by getting water in her her. She is getting treated for that.

I heard of this credit care its a credit card with no interest correct? If she has to get another surgery that's probably what I'll have to do. I'm at the point that I feel like I'm such a terrible care taker maybe giving her back to the rescue would be best. I've done everything I could to give her a good life. I have no idea what I could do more. Other then tie her to my waist.

Wish I could be there to give you BIG HUGS and let you cry on my shoulders :angelheart:

Grain free is great, what is the meat source, lots of bullies don't tolerate poultry.

Many bullies
do wonderful on Fromme's Beef Frittata.

OP
Kt126126

Kt126126

Nov 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby
Thank you. Its been very very stressful. I just don't know what to do with her anymore.

We feed her the salmon. I was told poultry and lamb are no good. Go with fish or meat. The food seems to be working good. And the atopica is working great.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names

NO, i don't think bloating is "normal" at all. Please take her to the vet to be seen b/c there could be something wrong w/her digestive system. I don't want to scare u but I do think it's very concerning.

The Care Credit is a no interest credit card where u can pay off the balance over something like 6 months or longer. I don't have it yet myself but i'll tag Becky [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] b/c i know she has it.

We're all here for you and Abby! Hang in there!:hug:

M

mabel lou

So sorry to hear about your bully. Sounds like you need a hug. We can't always do everything for them as sometimes it is out of our control but possibly you could call your vet instead of the possibility of another vet visit and see what they have to say. You need to take a good breath and just breathe. The fact that your here says something about how you feel for your girl. I do not know anything about a stomach bloating but wanted you to know that I will say a prayer for you and your girl because this needs to be given to god so you can relax some. Heres a hug from me to you.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Did the bloating in the stomach go down at all??? If not, then I really dont' want to panic you but IF it is bloat then time is of the essence and you need to get Abby to a vet as soon as possible. Again IF and I repeat IF this is bloat then it is a life threatening condition that has to be treated immediately.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
@Kt126126, will u b taking Abby to the Vet's today? reading more about Bloat and asking around...sounds like a medical emergency so please get her in ASAP. Let us know, ok?

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)

Oh dear I hope its nothing serious. I would take her to the vet to have her checked...The bloat can turn very seriouss quickly! I dont want to scare you by any meanss...Dont feel bad I did the same to Brutus a couple months ago giving him a bath and boom ear infection! it was so red and dirty...We got antibitocs and ear cleaner and meds...What are you using to clear that up?

We use Care Credit and its great! When Brutus had surgery we didnt have 3grand on hand so we used the credit card and it definatly comes in handy for them. It dcan also be used on us :) We are here if you need anything and please keep us psoted :hug:

OP
Kt126126

Kt126126

Nov 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby
Thank you so much for all your concern and I'm trying to take a deep breath and see how this plays out. I'm hoping its nothing. The bloating happened after she had water this morning. This also happened before the surgery 3 weeks ago. She drinks a lot of water and then her stomach gets full then she burps/farts and it goes down to normal again. With "Bloating" the one were the stomach turns over it takes a matter of hrs before the dog is dead. She doesn't show the signs of that. Just that her stomach enlarges after drinking and then deflates after burping/farting. She went back to bed and she also ate a good breakfast. She is acting weird and it could be because the ear infection, I know its bothering her.

I'm at work and hope to be home soon to see how she's doing. If she seems to get worse I am going to call the vet right away. I'm just afraid she might of ate something again and its blocking her system up. I wasn't sure does signs of bloating occur when a dog eats something bad? I've always keep a good eye on her, but since the surgery she's been restricted to certain areas of the house and in her crate when I'm not around. I could just be over paranoid because of what happen before. I'm not sure. I'll keep everyone posted and thanks for the help.

Last edited:
OP
Kt126126

Kt126126

Nov 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby
@ChanelnBrutus

Sorry I don't know the name of it, but the vet gave it to use for her infection. It just started yesterday. There is no way I can fork out another 1500 again for surgery. I'm still trying to pay off 3 weeks ago. Its been sooo hard the medical bills and my husband and I are so upset. I'm just trying to do my best by a dog who didn't have a good home. I'm a young girl who is starting her life off and I'm not rich. Its terrible feeling. If she has to get the surgery again I'll have to check into it. I can't believe this is happening to us.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
@ChanelnBrutus

Sorry I don't know the name of it, but the vet gave it to use for her infection. It just started yesterday. There is no way I can fork out another 1500 again for surgery. I'm still trying to pay off 3 weeks ago. Its been sooo hard the medical bills and my husband and I are so upset. I'm just trying to do my best by a dog who didn't have a good home. I'm a young girl who is starting her life off and I'm not rich. Its terrible feeling. If she has to get the surgery again I'll have to check into it. I can't believe this is happening to us.

Im so sorry. I'm very late to your thread. First of all, don't ever beat yourself up because you feel like you've failed. Like others have said you are here and that shows you want the best for Abby. Now..if the bloat look is back to normal when you see her, I would watch her carefully. All dogs tummies will expand if they drink a ton of water. I would not let her drink to the point of over fullness again. We have to stop Jake otherwise he will empty a bowl of water. I would also watch her very carefully as to how quickly she eats her food. If need be, divide her meals in half and make her go slow.

Next...as I can personally attest to..:cursing: Bully's will eat anything and everything! If you can't keep Abby in sight and make certain she has zero access to anything...crate her. It will save you lots of money and stress..not to mention Abby!

Keep an eye on her poo..look for signs that she digested something she shouldn't have.

Her ears will get better with the meds. Like you know now..water and ears..not a good match! She could be acting strange because she is hurting..and the meds could be hard on her tummy. If she has gas, you can give her a Pepcid and that will help!
Care credit is an awesome source of peace of mind. You do need to make payments but it's no interest as long as you pay it off in the time allotted. Go to their web site and read up on it.

Take a big breath and remember..This too shall pass. :hug:

Last edited:

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
If you think she may have eaten something keep an eye on her poo, most of us have been down the wonderful road of, what did (enter dog name) eat now. There is an article on the site as well about doges eating things.
Good luck, hope Abby is feeling better when you get home.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.