does your bullie beg for more food?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
i feed stig a 1 cup of fromm salmon & veg in the morning and evening. he gobbles it up within a few minutes then sits and looks at me like he's asking for more.

does your bullie do this? i sorta feel like i should be feeding him more. he's 6 months and approx 45 lbs. but then the recommended food intake for his weight according to the bag is 2.5 cups (i think).

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
Bulldogs are notorious for being over eaters. If he is still hungry after his meals give him a lite snack. like some veggies or fruit.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Samson always wants more, I also feed him one cup in the morning and one in the evening. I think because Stig is only 6 months you may want to give him more???? [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] would know, she has youngens :)

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I have always been a "free feeder" Vegas would get one cup in the morning and one in the evening and ALWAYS have food left over, well last Thursday we started him on a grain free food due to all his allergies. I give him one cup in the morning, which he inhales and one in the evening, which he inhales :confused: All of a sudden he has become a pig with his food. Same amount just different flavor I guess. I do give him fresh veggies and now started him on 1/2 cup yogert in the morning and 1/2 before bed. I think he could eat the whole bag of his new food, he was never like this with his old food. (he is 15 months and 62.8 lbs., just had him to the Vet Friday, Vet said he looked great!!)

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] With a 6 month old puppy you can give a bit more- but since he is already 45lbs at 6 months I would say no. Agree with [MENTION=355]gatorfan85[/MENTION] that some low calorie healthy snacks would be best. All of my dogs act like they are still hungry. When you schedule feed, you can feed just about anything. They do not develop picky behavior and will gobble it down like crazy! I am going to invest in slow feed bowls, will keep them at it longer and also make them not feel as tho they are starving.

In humans it takes 20 minutes to feel 'full', whether you eat 1 bite of food or 50 bites. I wonder if this same theory applies to dogs eating slower, or maybe it is less?

[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] Yogurt is excellent for bullies- but I would watch giving him too much, it is fattening- I would just give a spoon 'topper' once or twice a day. Excellent you are adding that to his diet! I give either yogurt or organic pumpkin every other day to keep things interesting.

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]...Oh only one teaspoon 2x a day?? I have been giving him 1/2 cup of the normal size cup 2x a day. AND does it matter if it is flavored??? I first got peach low fat, now I got him plain low fat, he loves it. The plain is gross, although he loves it, and loves I spoon feed it to him because he looks like santa clause when he is done eating it when I put it in his bowl...so I was wondering if it matters if it is flavored?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] I was told plain was best by several sources, just cuz it doesn't have all that fake fruit and sugary stuff in it. Yes they LOVE plain yogurt- and I mean LOVE IT!

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] I have YET to find ANYTHING that he does not love, If I hand it to him he does not even sniff, he inhales, I could hand him a habanaro pepper (WHICH I WOULD NEVER DO) so plain it good and only 2 teaspoons a day?

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]...Oh only one teaspoon 2x a day?? I have been giving him 1/2 cup of the normal size cup 2x a day. AND does it matter if it is flavored??? I first got peach low fat, now I got him plain low fat, he loves it. The plain is gross, although he loves it, and loves I spoon feed it to him because he looks like santa clause when he is done eating it when I put it in his bowl...so I was wondering if it matters if it is flavored?
When i give yogurt I only use the organic stuff either yobaby,oikos, or stonny field who also makes yobaby. they like plain but for a switch i'll do vanilla or banana. I also do cottage cheese which they LOVE!!! I dont think the flavor would be bad as long as its natural and not artificial

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
Chester would eat all day long if I let him! He always looks hungry and always acts like we're starving him :p

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Chester would eat all day long if I let him! He always looks hungry and always acts like we're starving him :p

lol. thanks for all the replies guys, now i don't feel so bad! those puppy dog eyes i tell ya, they can make you suckers :D

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Aw, this is such a bully problem. I've actually had to find a way, with Truman in the mix, to "end" meal time - otherwise he sits around his dish waiting and looking and sniffing for more. After the boys eat, I wait until every kibble is gone and pick up both dishes. That usually puts an end to any begging for more. It sounds like your baby is good size though so he's probably just being a pig...par for the course for a bully! :)

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
Chester is a hog with his food.. he could give Arnold the pig from Green Acres a run for his money, and he has all the snorts mixed in for good measure (now I am dating myself here) :p

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.