General Question Salmon treats caused tear stains?

BullyDozer

Oct 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I have a question for the food experts. I have recently switched my 10 week old EB to Wellness Core Grain free puppy. He's been on it for about a week. Since he is set to begin training classes along with me starting doing some training exercises in the house I got him some Blue Wilderness Grain free Salmon Wild Bites. I am noticing a tear stain starting to form on one of his eyes. Could the salmon treats have caused this? I have been giving him the treats over the past 2 days and prior to that I did not notice anything.

I have attached some pics for a reference.

Attachments

• After.jpg
    After.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 207
  • Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 189

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
it is a tear stain, or is it an irritated area?

I started Charlotte on salmon food and she ended up being allergic to it, it didn't cause tear stains, but her wrinkles were red and irritated.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Anything can cause them...It can be the treats or it can also be the food or other factors around him. First thing you can do is quit giving him the treats and see what happens.
I feed Usko raw and also his treats are all natural. I boil and cut in to pieces pigs tongue or chicken gizzards.

OP
B

BullyDozer

Oct 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I'm going to stop the Salmon treats and see what happens. I am hoping I can find another treat to use for class especially since it starts today.

I knew EB's were a special breed but I never got the memo on all the fun I would have finding the right food/treats.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm going to stop the Salmon treats and see what happens. I am hoping I can find another treat to use for class especially since it starts today.

I knew EB's were a special breed but I never got the memo on all the fun I would have finding the right food/treats.

That is exactly why I feed only raw and give only natural simple treats...it's the ONLY way to really know that I'm feeding him.
If you look at the incredients in the "salmon treats" you're lucky if they even have salmon in them.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
as otheres have said... anything can cause them, but if you noticed them starting after you began the treats good chance it is them. Could also be environmental allergies, an eyelash

DawgPoundBully

Nov 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel
Tylan powder is widely used to treat tear stains. Anything can cause them to be honest with you. Those that feed raw seems to have fewer problems with tear stains but even then you may find a few of them talk about tear stains.

You can find Tylan powder on the internet. I got this suggestion from my breeder who also has over 23 years of Vet experience. She is also a show breeder as well(not that matters just giving some background)

A half of a teaspoon sprinkled over the food once a day untli it clears up will do the trick. It will keep it at bay for awhile as well.

Also try to keep the area dry and that will also help to prevent tear stains as well.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.