Help Needed! Food help!!?!?

OP
Tlomrtony

Tlomrtony

Nov 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Koko
So what she is doing is picking at her food. I am still mixing her previous food Royal Canine with her new food Acana but she still just picks at it and doesn't it it unless I force her as in feeding her by hand.

Anyone now where [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] is? I want her thought????

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=6639]Tlomrtony[/MENTION] ive been away from my computer n just on phone but will check on this tonight when i am back with my computer.

OP
Tlomrtony

Tlomrtony

Nov 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Koko
@Tlomrtony ive been away from my computer n just on phone but will check on this tonight when i am back with my computer.

Sure. No problem. I'm thinking maybe free feeding her when the breeder had her might have something to do with it since she knows that food is there and can eat when she wants.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok so is she eating the royal canin or just not eating anything at all much. if she will eat the royal canin then feed her that till she gets settled into her new surroundings. if she doesnt want to eat out of the bowl you have then get her something else like a plate or try a bowl with a lower side to it. she may just not want to put her head into the bowl. bullies are routine oriented so if the breeder had a certain bowl or time or way of feeding maybe she dont understand the change. have you tried some thing as a topper like yogurt or cottage cheese even hamburger to get her to eat even chicken broth. have you tried feeding her in a different spot. you may just be trying to many different things to quick for her to adjust. have you tried maybe a pepcid or something in case her tummy is upset. if these dont work let me know or if there is something im missing.

OP
Tlomrtony

Tlomrtony

Nov 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Koko
ok so is she eating the royal canin or just not eating anything at all much. if she will eat the royal canin then feed her that till she gets settled into her new surroundings. if she doesnt want to eat out of the bowl you have then get her something else like a plate or try a bowl with a lower side to it. she may just not want to put her head into the bowl. bullies are routine oriented so if the breeder had a certain bowl or time or way of feeding maybe she dont understand the change. have you tried some thing as a topper like yogurt or cottage cheese even hamburger to get her to eat even chicken broth. have you tried feeding her in a different spot. you may just be trying to many different things to quick for her to adjust. have you tried maybe a pepcid or something in case her tummy is upset. if these dont work let me know or if there is something im missing.

Thanks! Maybe she might not be settled in yet. I have tried to put goodies on top of her food but yet she only pick at it. I am going to just switch her back to the Royal until she gets comfortable and she if ur makes a difference but transitions her to something else. Also ill try to switch spots where I put her food and try giving her a bowl that is lower to the ground.

Also what I am thinking maybe she is just to use to having food sit out there for her to eat whenever she was hungry. That's what the breeder did. Maybe she got use to that and know she can eat whenever.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well that would make sense why she picks but still is not bully behaviour really. most bullies inhale their food in 3 minutes and so i think a twice a day measured feeding schedule is what most here do. have a schedule and stick to it so she knows what is expected of her everyday and she will learn she has a certain time to eat. time and patience and im sure she will be ok and eating soon. if not then we can go from there with a different food.

OP
Tlomrtony

Tlomrtony

Nov 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Koko
well that would make sense why she picks but still is not bully behaviour really. most bullies inhale their food in 3 minutes and so i think a twice a day measured feeding schedule is what most here do. have a schedule and stick to it so she knows what is expected of her everyday and she will learn she has a certain time to eat. time and patience and im sure she will be ok and eating soon. if not then we can go from there with a different food.

Thanks! I will keep you updated.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Also how many were in the litter?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Mine just picks and pieces throughout the day. We free feed though. We fill his bowl in the morning it holds 4 cups and usually there's half a bowl left the next morning. He likes to take his time and doesn't like knowing that he can see the bottom of the bowl even if hes not hungry lol.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I would ask the breeder if she free fed the pups. It seems like that is a possibility. If so, she knows she has all access to food so she is in no hurry to gobble it up. Is she eating a decent amount throughout the day?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

This was my first gut reaction as well - but even still, Remi tore up anything I put in front of him. I would assume at 5 months she would have quite the appetite though. I might try working in a new food.

OP
Tlomrtony

Tlomrtony

Nov 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Koko
Well I don't know what it is but after I switched the bowl to a short bowl, Koko has been eating very well. She actually finishes her meals. I don't know if its the bowl or if she is adjusting better but just to let you guys know she is eating a lot better now. Thanks All!!!!

Most Reactions